SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to hardwire a Valentine One radar locator into my Aero. Tried using one of the wires going into the sunroof switch, but that didn't work. It was actually pretty comical - when connected, the sunroof opened.

Any ideas? I'd prefer to use a switched power wire (that only has power when the ignition is on), so I don't want to tap into a wire for one of the map lights.

Thanks!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Map Light Console Pre-Wire?

gmanbumpy said:
I am trying to hardwire a Valentine One radar locator into my Aero. Tried using one of the wires going into the sunroof switch, but that didn't work. It was actually pretty comical - when connected, the sunroof opened.

Any ideas? I'd prefer to use a switched power wire (that only has power when the ignition is on), so I don't want to tap into a wire for one of the map lights.

Thanks!
When you had the sunroof and map light console removed, was there any chance that you saw a wire with a three-pin header taped to the headliner? The Subaru Imprezas apparently have this pre-wire for the auto-dimming mirror/compass option. Not sure if it exists on the Saab, and no one on this BB or at SaabUSA seems to know either. If it is there, I'm guessing you could use it for other accessories as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
menikmati said:
When you had the sunroof and map light console removed, was there any chance that you saw a wire with a three-pin header taped to the headliner? The Subaru Imprezas apparently have this pre-wire for the auto-dimming mirror/compass option. Not sure if it exists on the Saab, and no one on this BB or at SaabUSA seems to know either. If it is there, I'm guessing you could use it for other accessories as well.
Actually, I looked a few week ago in the maplight console, the are pre-wire for the auto-dimming mirror/compass. You just need to get the mirror from subaru and connect it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that info. - I did notice a mysterious wire taped to the inside of the roof! I'll try using that compass/autodimming mirror wiring for the V1 power.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just "hardwired" an FM modulator into my 92-X. Kinda rigged it, but it seems pretty secure. The cigarette lighter has a harness, and the metal tabs the harness plugs into have holes in the ends or the tabs. All I did was put the wires into the holes in the tabs, and plug the harness back in. Works fine, quick to install, and easy to remove.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have done this method for hard-wiring accesories in every car I've had, never had a problem.

driverdave said:
I just "hardwired" an FM modulator into my 92-X. Kinda rigged it, but it seems pretty secure. The cigarette lighter has a harness, and the metal tabs the harness plugs into have holes in the ends or the tabs. All I did was put the wires into the holes in the tabs, and plug the harness back in. Works fine, quick to install, and easy to remove.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FM Modulator for iPod

driverdave said:
I'm very interested in your experience with this. How hard was it to install the modulator? Which one did you choose and is it working well? Any info/details would be much appreciated! :) I would really like to hook up my iPod. I'm also planning on adding the auto-dimming mirror/compass and considering adding a couple more lighter sockets (either in the ashtray or the armrest).

Apparently some Subie head units have a rear input for another CD changer, and I've read about some people hacking a cable to turn that into a 3.5mm plug. I don't suppose the Aero unit has such an input, does it?

FYI, I found this simple car dock system for the iPod, but can't find anyone who sells them:
http://www.hebestyling.com/idrive.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ended up tapping into the glovebox light power wire for radar detector power

gmanbumpy said:
Thanks for that info. - I did notice a mysterious wire taped to the inside of the roof! I'll try using that compass/autodimming mirror wiring for the V1 power.
I couldn't get the alleged compass/autodimming mirror prewiring to work, so I ended up tapping into the glovebox light power wire (a purple wire) for radar detector power. This wire has power when the headlights are on and the ignition is on. I try to have my headlights on all the time anyway, and this will help remind me to do so. Grounded using philips/hex head screw that is near passenger door hinge on side of dashboard bracket.

Works fine, and easier than opening up center console to get at cigarette lighter wiring, and having to string wire all the way across the footwell. Had to take out about 15 screws to get behind glovebox, though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
KeithC said:
I'm very interested in your experience with this...
Install was easy, sound quality was horrible. Muddy, and no power. I tried a Scosche FM modulator, and returned it due to poor sound quality. I am by no means an audiophile, and MP3s are good enough for my ears, but the FM modulator just did not cut it for me.

I ened up getting a Pioneer head unit with a AUX input in the back. I wired a Monster iPod charger up to the head unit's power. The sound quality is great. I guess you can buy an iPod controller for the head unit, but it locks out the iPod's controls, and I've read that the control through the head unit is not good at all.

As far as I could tell, the stock 6 CD changer doesn't have CD changer controls because it's a CD changer. I think the single DIN unit (Linear maybe?) has the CD changer controls you can hack.

·
Registered
30 Posts
huski said:
Actually, I looked a few week ago in the maplight console, the are pre-wire for the auto-dimming mirror/compass. You just need to get the mirror from subaru and connect it.
Has anyone installed the mirror from Subaru in their Saab? I'm curious because I'm looking to buy a 9-2X, and I would really miss my auto dimming mirror and compass.

I have a V1 detector, and I have it hard wired to the mirror in my WRX, and it works great. I'm assuming you must have the mirror connected to complete the circuit before you can tap into the wires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts