SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - It's time the harmonic balancer was changed on my '91 16V. The morning squeal is now getting very pronounced. And leaving for work at 6.30am, it was never my intention to be the alarm call for the neighbours in my street :eek: This may be a daft question, but I am new to Saabs, what should I change? I have looked on German & Swedish site, and called them, and they do not have or know what a harmonic balancer is! Do I simply order a new cranshaft pulley? I have also contacted a site called PartsforSaabs, who also have never heard of it.

My plan was to change the balancer, belts and oil O ring. Anything else? Help!

·
Registered
751 Posts
do a seach on the 900 forums for "crankshaft pulley removal". this will give you some guidenece on removing the pulley. one thing for sure is, it aint easy! :roll:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
To be honest I was going to cheat and buy the parts and hand it over to a good local garage to do.

I would appreciate any experts out there to tell me I am doing the right thing. I plan to buy and replace the following to correct my HB problem:

New Crank Pulley
Power Steering Belt
Drive Belt (pair)
Crankshaft Front Seal
O-Ring Oil Pump Cover

This comes to approx just under £100. Have I missed anything?

As an aside I bought a set of 4 Aero Alloys at the weekend, to put on at a later date. £40 in very good condition, thought it was rude not to take up the offer :cheesy:

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I've been through this too many times...

Once for the pulley and again for the crank pulse sensor that's mounted on the oil pump.

ME? I would change that crank sensor while it's all apart.

·
Registered
751 Posts
theres a sensor there? which year is your car? my 88 doesnt have one, or i never saw a single wire :p

·
4,637 Posts
Have a look at your distributor. If there are only 5 HT leads coming off the cap and no other wiring, you have the EZK ignition system. This uses a sensor mounted behind the crank pulley which you'll see when you go to do the job. Don't hang about too long to do the job or the wobble in the crank pulley will damage the sensor.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, thought I would add an update to this. I sourced the parts myself, from a company called PartsforSaabs and they were great. In all £108. I then handed the job to a local garage who seemed competent having changed the serpetine belt on the 1998 900S. £100 in labour and the job was done. No squeal and all feels nice an tight with new belts and crank seal and oil o ring. The mechanic said the pulley was well gone, and he would not want to do the job again, if he had to he'd pull the engine out :cheesy: .

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Russmeister said:
I then handed the job to a local garage who seemed competent ... £100 in labour and the job was done.

The mechanic said the pulley was well gone, and he would not want to do the job again, if he had to he'd pull the engine out :cheesy: .
He's a drama queen. It can't have been _THAT_ bad if he only charged you a ton to do it...

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
TooMany2cvs said:
He's a drama queen. It can't have been _THAT_ bad if he only charged you a ton to do it...
I agree. If he needs to remove the engine to do a job that I routinely did in 40 minutes, he's whining or incompetent. Since he only charged you a reasonable amount, I'd guess he's whining.
Of course, there's nothing wrong with a little whining about a filthy annoying job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts