SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My factory harman kardons reciently started sounding bad, so I wanted to replace my rear deck 6x9s with some 6x9 220w Sony xplod speakers I had lying around, and the had almost no bass and when they did it didn't sound very good, and so I was thinking about getting some 4 ohm rockford fosgate 300w peak and 150rms would they sound good? And you don't have to use a tech 2 to divorce the speakers do you?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
No Tech-II required, but if you replace energy efficient speakers with energy hogs you will get lousy sound if they grossly exceed the amplifier.

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
The HK speakers are all 2-ohm speakers so drive current will be lower with the higher resistance. (Voltage won't change)

That said, I put a set of Pioneer 4-ohm speakers in my 99 when my teenager blew the originals. But I'd check the speakers, if they are "rattling" I would suspect that the original paper surrounds are cracked/shot. You can buy surround repair kits on line with new rubber surrounds, glue, etc. It's pretty simple to do, I've done a lot of them.

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
There is no "about to blow" sound. Either the voice coil is an open circuit and has fried or it hasn't. There really isn't any middle of the road.

The key to replacing the surrounds is to cut out the old stuff about a 1/4" all the way around and then replacing the surround with a nice new foam/rubber one. Makes a huge difference. Kits for 6x9 surrounds are probalby no more than $10 on line.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
The stock subs with this speaker packaged are awesome... With an aftermarket headunit because that let's your turn the bass up more and gives you more control

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
When the voice coils go what you will usually get is either no sound because there is an open circuit on the voice coil or you get intermittent sound because the open is so small that vibration will cause the two ends of the wires to touch.

Trust me, the surrounds on your speakers are shot and you can't "glue them", you need to replace them. Go here:

http://www.speakerworks.com/6_by_9_inch_speaker_repair_kit_p/swk69a.htm

It's easy to verify if this is your issue, just take the speakers out and look at them. The last quarter inch all the way around is supposed to be flexible. The original speakers had an accordion fold of the paper and then are glued to the frames. you'll need to cut a 1/4" or so off the edges, and then apply the new foam surrounds. The speakers will sound as good as new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts