SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to annoint myself with the distinctive odor of high test gas, leaking from a SAAB 900 fuel rail again. But in order for my gauge to work on a SAAB 900, I'll need to adapt my fuel pressure gauge, which has a barb on each side, with a piece of neoprene hose on each barb. It's set up now for testing 30 minute system pressure leakdown on Nissan 280ZX's from around 1981; working inline on the supply side of the fuel pump; normally accessed with the Batmobile up on a lift.
What I anticipate doing is just substituting a simple, threaded brass plug to seal one side, wrapped with tape dope. On the other side, I'll substitute a bit longer piece of neoprene hose over the existing barb, secure it onto the gauge, and and into the open end of the hose press the correct barbed or tubed banjo fitting, with, of course, brandy-new brass sealing washers.
Can anybody out there in SAAB-land tell me the correct sizes for these brass parts; where to obtain them and/or part no's I can use? I know from past experience that the setup uses fittings very similar to, if not identical to the fuel filter hardware on those fuel lines and which is included in the higher quality fuel filters. Would Dorman be a good source for these brass washers, if I want to score some spares? Alternatively, might there be a feasible source for purchasing a box of them? Any inf. appreciated; thanks very much.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
That is not an appropriate way to test fuel pressure... you should always use a self-sealing fitting on the fuel rail side... virtually all cars use Shraeder valves here, but there are a few exceptions that use other connectors.

You want this:

and

this (or something similar):

Then use a standard fuel pressure tester

Never use any treatment on the threads... if tape or dope gets into the fuel system you could ruin an injector. Bare threads and crush washers only.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No; tape dope on the unused, threaded plug side of the lower gauge body only. Thanks much, but I'm really only seeking the correct-sized banjo fitting and washers.

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
It's not clear where you plan to tee into the system.
The SAAB tool with a banjo fit on the end of the fuel rail with a double-length banjo bolt.
If you just want size, it's the same as the filter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes; that's what I'm going to do. What's best place to find 2x length bolt? I can find the washers at auto parts store, tho usually they are pricey. Thank you.

·
Registered
469 Posts
For the copper sealing washers, Dorman 095-014 is 12mm, but may be too thick. You can also find quite a few on eBay Motors by searching for "M12 copper sealing washer".

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got mine from SAAB in 1984, I have no idea where to get one.
Most people these days go with the modern Schraeder valve.
Thanks a heap, Jim; someone just showed them to me online. You find them if you search for "Double Length Banjo Bolt", or some similar nonsense. It's written on a piece of paper in a trouser pocket; how's that for a filing system?!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the copper sealing washers, Dorman 095-014 is 12mm, but may be too thick. You can also find quite a few on eBay Motors by searching for "M12 copper sealing washer".
Thanks, that's a start.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts