SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope you will forgive my illiteracy, but I can't read 99's 9-5 oil dipstick after checking the oil level.
Contrary to 6 cylinders 9-5, where dipstick clearly indicates "Min" and "Max" level, 4 cylinders cars, like mine, simply have a dipstick without any visible indicators. Instead, it has a range area separated by two black rubbers. What's confusing is that the bigger piece of the rubber located at the very end of the dipstick.
I know it's ridiculously simple, but I can't figure out how to measure my oil level

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Hi, the flat sqaure part is the level, so the bottom bulge is your minimum and the top bulge is your maximum, I believe the difference is 0.5 litres. So if your oil shows in the flat portion near the top its great ;)

One clever chappy painted one flat side with white paint (high temp paint) so he could read his more clearly ;)

·
Registered
309 Posts
When I check my oil level the oil on one flat side goes just above the bulge and on the opposite side its shows oil level just below the bulge? I just take the lower oil level reading which shows that oil level is fine:D

When I check the oil level, its mainly always just after a drive. I turn the car off and let it site for about 5mins and then check the it (as per the car manual says).

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hey there bobsaab - yes, you're right, I normally keep more oil in than is shown in the picture - I just dipped the very end of it in the oil for illustration.

Btw, IIRC, this little modification is as nothing compared to Chris' rather fancy dipstick cap!

:)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Airflow said:
Hey there bobsaab - yes, you're right, I normally keep more oil in than is shown in the picture - I just dipped the very end of it in the oil for illustration.

Btw, IIRC, this little modification is as nothing compared to Chris' rather fancy dipstick cap!

:)
Yours is rather more practical!

Imagine who would be daft enought to mount a "metal" badge that you have to grip hold of in a hot engine bay :eek:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
White cotton ones to open the doors :cool:

Leather ones for driving ;)

And sexy latex ones under the bonnet :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts