SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Having a hard time getting it in reverse.

i have a habit of selecting 4th before trying reverse. But 80% of the time I fail to get it to slip in. If the car rolls just a little bit, I can select it.

I did a search and couldn't find any tips on this.

The gear shift linkages feel pretty tight, all other gears select very easily. Just reverse is a PITA.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I haven't had much experience with the manny transmissions on these, as both of mine are auto, but it sounds like the synchros are still spinning. I know on my Jeep this is regular behavior and if I put into first, that will stop the synchros and I can then put into R. It sounds like you are putting into 4th first, so I would think it would have the same effect. You can also try putting in N then letting off the clutch completely, then trying R. Like I said, this is normal on my Jeep, not sure if this is normal or not on Saabs.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Hey guys, Having a hard time getting it in reverse.

i have a habit of selecting 4th before trying reverse. But 80% of the time I fail to get it to slip in. If the car rolls just a little bit, I can select it.

I did a search and couldn't find any tips on this.

The gear shift linkages feel pretty tight, all other gears select very easily. Just reverse is a PITA.

Any ideas?
There is a SB ( service bulletin) about a rebuild kit for early model cars that have this issue.

First thing to try is to cahnge to the new gear oil, that sometimes willdo the trick..

Just look here:

http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/files/93-95-trans-update.htm

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright i'll try the link, dump the oil. gonna use redline like i've used in the past in the NG900

·
Registered
348 Posts
Don't use Redline, just get the MTF 0063, it's a totally different oil, and the only one supported by Saab. It's around $10 Canadian/liter, and you'll need 5 to do a full flush. Search MTF 0063 and you'll get all the answers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine always was a PITA to get into reverse, easy fix is slip it into 4th slip the clutch a little to slow that pig of a flywheel down then it slips right in, or shut it down. I gave up trying to put it into reverse while it was running, you know...to get the key out. I always just shut it down then put it into reverse. But its a problem with the gear...very common. there is a fix but $$$ labour. I doubt fluid will change anything much, since its a known issue.

·
Banned
250 Posts
Well its probably just gloopy fluid. Unless theres any other signs that its anything else I would go with the easy diagnosis for now :lol:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your help guys, still haven't had a chance to tackle this. where do I get this Saab Specific oil in Canada? Also why so much quantity? The 900 took 2 litres for the tranny.

Also where do I fill from?

thanks.

·
Registered
348 Posts
It takes about 1.5 L per flush, and you have to flush twice to get most of the old stuff out, and then fill. The instructions and lots of discussion regarding MTF can be searched on this site. The only places to get it are the dealer and online, but shipping 5 L will be pretty expensive, especially across the border.

Your best bet is a local GM dealer that still sells Saab parts.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't have any dealers around me that sell any Saab stuff. I may be SOL on the Saab Gear Oil. There has to be an alternative.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I don't have any dealers around me that sell any Saab stuff. I may be SOL on the Saab Gear Oil. There has to be an alternative.

Im not sure there is an alternative on the MTF. I know you can use a toyota fluid on the auto box though.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm gonna check my local GM dealer, apparently its a GM part number, possible to order it in, Otherwise looks like EEuro has it too and can get it shipped up.

thanks for your help guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts