SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to read this post
Several weeks ago my 1999 Saab 93 Turbo overheated and came to a rolling dead stop. I lost all my coolant on the highway due to a top radiator hose that burst. After an hour I returned to and got it started. Steam from the tailpipe and water in the oil pointed very strongly to a blown head gasket. A few days ago I replaced the head gasket which had some heavy damage. I checked the head with a straight edge and it was surprisingly fine. I torqued the head in the recommended pattern to spec's and connected everything up.
The timming chain spockets lined up and the chain went on identically as removed.
The first start was very hard going, I just about killed the battery and finally it cranked over.
Now it is a little easier to get started but I have to crank it over several times until it finally comes to a faster and faster sputtering and chugging type of start. Once it is started it is very smooth and responsive.

Could one of you "Pro's" give me a clue as to what I have to check so it is not so difficult to start.
It runs like new when it is warmed up.
Thank you for your time and any information will be appreciated.
Rick

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
You may have some suck valves. Did you have the head tested before reinstalling it? You left the car like that for a long time; water and metal aren't the best of partners :nono;

They tend to open up when the engine gets hot. I had that problem with my Toyota MR2 and replaced the head with rebuilt unit

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Cam timing seems likely.

I'd also replace your plugs as they probably got oxidized to hell when the coolant ran through 'em

have you done a compression-test since re-build?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts