SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there noticing that with the colder weather, more difficult shifting with the manual 6? It usually gets better as the car has warmed up a bit. Wondering if this is causing any damage.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
1-2 I guess you mean. Yes this is a bit of a slow (or alternatly crunchy) change with a cold gearbox. Don't think anyone has had reported long term problems because of it though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a 2004 9-3 Aero and am new to Saabs, have noticed the same thing. When I go from 1st to neutral then 2nd, it helps. Direct 1st to second (sometimes even direct to 3rd from 2nd in cold weather) grinds a little bit. Hitting neutral in the middle always tends to help. I wonder if it gives the gears time to spin-up?...

Cheers

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Isn't this the nature of most manuals? I know years ago it was with my old stick shifts.

I remember with my old Toyota Tercel at -25F you could hardly move the shifter:eek:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yup, since the first winter of ownership. Of course my other manuals have done this too. It's just the matter of the oil in the transfer case being heavy and thicker when it's cold. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
boogyman said:
Yup, since the first winter of ownership. Of course my other manuals have done this too. It's just the matter of the oil in the transfer case being heavy and thicker when it's cold. Nothing to worry about.
Agreed. This is common with all manuals. In fact, it happens with Auto's as well. First thing in the morning now that its cold, when placed in Drive there's a noticeable knock into gear - only happens when the car & weather is cold. (Unless someone tells me this shouldn't be happening, my first winter !!)

·
Registered
485 Posts
nothing to be worried about.its natural to happen.:)

try Kooby's tip. it really helps.
Though if you are more anxious about pushing the gear system while it is not 100% ready u can wait 1-2 minutes before taking off your ride.
....try to find a better radio station/adjust mirrors and check front and rear lights:cheesy:
(lol am i overreacting?)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Most people like to warm up the car. I've heard debates before that it's unnecessary, bad for the environment, and there's nothing better to warm up the car than actually Driving it!
Besides, sometimes I don't have time to warm it up or the wife's waiting out in the cold while I pull the Saab out of the garage... Hmmm, which one should I let wait ? ;-)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts