SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced Rotors and pads all around, then my right front caliper stuck and started smoking. Replaced caliper and hose as i thought the hose might have been old and it was not allowing the caliper to release. Come to find out the caliper and hose were fine, it was that the brake booster got filled with engine oil. This made the pedal hard to push and it was like the brakes were on the whole time i was driving. I replaced the brake booster and the master cylinder. Then i figured the reason the oil got in the booster in the first place is because the vacuum pump was spitting oil into the brake booster vacuum hose and the check valves were allowing the oil into the booster. The engine is no good for the seals in there and made a mess of everything. The vacuum pump was tuff to locate # 55558434, and after a couple weeks i just got it last night, going to throw it in tonight and all should be good again

·
Registered
516 Posts
Whoa, that sounds rough. Glad you seem to have it figured out.

But wait, you said the engine is no good anymore due to this problem?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my bad, i mean the booster is no good because the oil ate away the seals
, now i got everything back together and the brake pedal is hard to push down. i'm thinking no vacuum or brake booster problem even thousgh it is brand new

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi there .Is your car automatic since i cannot see it on your profile ?
Did you change the non return valves because they are certainly not working . They should be sucking air to build vacuum and not pump oil

·
Registered
26 Posts
Same problem

Replaced Rotors and pads all around, then my right front caliper stuck and started smoking. Replaced caliper and hose as i thought the hose might have been old and it was not allowing the caliper to release. Come to find out the caliper and hose were fine, it was that the brake booster got filled with engine oil. This made the pedal hard to push and it was like the brakes were on the whole time i was driving. I replaced the brake booster and the master cylinder. Then i figured the reason the oil got in the booster in the first place is because the vacuum pump was spitting oil into the brake booster vacuum hose and the check valves were allowing the oil into the booster. The engine is no good for the seals in there and made a mess of everything. The vacuum pump was tuff to locate # 55558434, and after a couple weeks i just got it last night, going to throw it in tonight and all should be good again

Hi I was wondering did you find the problem? I am having the same problem please tell me. My email is [email protected]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi there .Is your car automatic since i cannot see it on your profile ?
Did you change the non return valves because they are certainly not working . They should be sucking air to build vacuum and not pump oil
My car is an automatic. The problem was with the brake booster. I bought it online and it was only for the 1999 Saab 9-5 made in Europe? So I had to take it out and get one for the 1999 Saab 9-5 made in the states and it worked fine. Remeber to adjust the arm on the booster to where it was on the one you remove. Otherwise you will get a brake pedal that won't engage until you press the pedal down pretty far. Then you'll have to do it all over again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi I was wondering did you find the problem? I am having the same problem please tell me. My email is [email protected]
Did you fix the problem. It was the brake booster on mine that was filled with oil. The vacuum pump failed and allowed motor oil into the brake booster. making the pedal hard and the brakes were on all the time. Let me know. I replaced master cylinder too and brake booster vacuum lines

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is one of the two most common SAAB 9-3 and SAAB 9-5 (2000-2004) issues.

The #1 issue is "Engine Sludge". These above listed cars years are noted for the possibility of your engine locking up due to severe sludge. This is linked to a design flaw. The catalytic converter is located right below the engine. If this fails it heats the converter up to an intense level, thus causing oil to boil and sludge. Over time the sludge builds up, blocking the oil screen and causes critical engine parts to lock-up or fail. To avoid this, users should use synthetic oil and do routine oil changes every 3000-5000 miles.
Replace your oil filter every time. You may even add a engine additive suck as Marvel Mystery to maintain a clean engine.

The #2 issue is brakes applying by themselves. This issue 90% of the time is linked to the vacuum booster assist pump, booster line, and the booster itself. When the pumps fails it allows oil to slowly leak into the booster lines. The check valve fails due to oil corrosion and oil is leaked into the booster. Over time the booster builds up a supply of oil. The inside of the booster gets ate up by the oil and the booster fails. To fix the issue, simply replace the booster vacuum, the booster 3 way line, and the booster itself. In some rare cases, you may also have to replace the master cylinder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey i'm having the same problems with my 1999 9-5, Im not sure if its the euro car or american(how do i tell)?
I changed the pads and calipers and nothing else as of now. What part would you recommend buying first to fix this problem? (part numbers)
did you fix the problem and does your car's brakes work good now?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts