SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Handbrake doesn't work on my C900

hi all can anyone tell me how to adjust the handbrake on my 92 c 900 vert, it has no shoes just disc and pads on the back ive had new cables and pads fitted but still no handbrake i cant see how this works id be very grateful if someone could help pleeeeaaase

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
is there any tension on the handbrake handle when you pull up? no... ok, well now you'll have take out the center console and all that stuff to access the two cables that attach to the e-brake handle. no tension means that the adjustment nuts have worked they're way loose and/or completely off during the last decade or so. you may be able to find them laying there, or you may need to go get some new ones.

If there is tension on the handle, tear it all apart and try tightening the nuts and see if that helps.

·
Registered
751 Posts
you need to set up the spacing on the back calipers too with a feeler gauge, its all in a haynes manual which you'll get in halfords

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
handbrake dont work on my c900 vert

yes there is tension about 4 clicks but nothing happens and thers new pads aswell i adjusted the cables under the back seat but it only seems to tigten the handbrake lever all the mechanisams are moving on the calipers

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
maybe your callipers are seized, get someone to pull on the handbrake and see if anything is moving on the top of the calliper where cable joins.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
jay simpson said:
yes there is tension about 4 clicks but nothing happens and thers new pads aswell i adjusted the cables under the back seat but it only seems to tigten the handbrake lever all the mechanisams are moving on the calipers
New pads & cables, the lever's pulling up to 4 clicks correctly - but nothing much doing...?

<thinks>
What's the next link in the chain...?

Is there any actual retardation on the back brakes from the pedal?

Were the disks new, as well?
If so, was the storage gloop cleaned off 'em before fitting?
If not, are they good and flat? Or heavily scored?

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
TooMany2cvs said:
Nah, they're the least likely thing - the hydraulics don't come into the handbrake at all.
On my front handbraker its a manually operated hydraulic lever so that was my guess ;oops:

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
nutcase said:
Actually, the front handbrakes are mechanical too. Have to be :)
Makes sense... Hey, did I ever tell you guys how stupid I was?

·
Registered
751 Posts
what about the little piston adjustment screw, if thats out of sync, surly that will effect where the handbrake mechanism starts working? i cant really remember how its adjusted, wound all the way in then out 1/4 turn? someone please confirm this..

mine has hex head on it and is located behind a dustcap which is a 12~mm socket on the back of the caliper

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I still think that he just needs to tighten the cable where it attaches to the handbrake lever.

Jay- how are the regular brakes... any slop in them?

·
4,637 Posts
Did you adjust the rear brakes?

1. Jack up the car and remove wheels.
  2. Undo the cover at the back of the caliper (14mm hex)
  3. Use a 4mm(?) allen key to wind in the pads until the wheel locks
  4. Back off 1/4 turn and check that the wheel turns relatively easily (a little drag is ok)
  5. Replace the cover
  6. rinse and repeat for the other side

Now, having been messing around with the handbrake cable adjusters, you'll have to re-adjust these after. It might be worthwhile disconnecting the cables from the calipers entirely before doing the adjustment, then reconnect the cables and make sure they're correct.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
are there 2 adjusting keys on each side just under the plastic caps do i remove them and turn the bolts in do they both need to be adjusted the same?

·
4,637 Posts
Those are the caliper mounting bolts. They should be tight, not adjusted. The adjuster is behind a single 14mm bolt head and is adjusted with a 4mm allen key.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I really recommend you invest in a haynes manual. ALL these basic DIY jobs are coverd in it. its inexpensive on ebay, a little more in halfords for a new one..

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
JimmyG said:
I really recommend you invest in a haynes manual. ALL these basic DIY jobs are coverd in it. its inexpensive on ebay, a little more in halfords for a new one..
Even better - spend the extra for a copy of the Bentley manual. They pop up on fleaBay semi-regularly.

Bentley really does show the Haynes Book of Lies up for what it is - a great way to stop a table wobbling.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts