SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The handbrake on my 89 900S is not terribly effective. I've adjusted the calipers and they seem to be doing what they're supposed to, leading me to think the cables are the problem. I know the right one is seized, so that's obviously a major part of the issue. The left one moves, but it doesn't seem to apply as much force at the caliper as it should, leading me to believe it's stretching.

The question here is replacement parts. Supplies seem to be out there, but scant; eEuroparts has the one side, and I've seen the other on eBay from time to time. I do wonder if there's another, possibly updated, part that will interchange and is more readily available. Replacement looks pretty straight-forward, but any tips are welcome.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Calipers are usually separate from the e-brake. Usually the e-brake has shoes inside the rear rotor. I used to have a 900 as well, and a 9-5 wagon now, but I don't remember if the adjustment is the same on the 900, but every set of shoes on cars I have had, even non saab, have an adjuster screw thing and when it gets turned, adjusts the shoe pressure in or out. Have you tried that adjustment ? (if it has one that is)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've dealt with the type you're describing, but it doesn't work that way on the later 900 at least. Lever on the back of the caliper applies pressure via the main piston when the handbrake is pulled.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Yeah, the c900 uses a lever type caliper. That's not found on modern cars (they use a separate drum brake inside the rotor hat), but was used on most cars even through the 90s.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
WRT to the OP, as long as the adjusters are in good shape, there are places all over the country that can make new cables. In town it's oddly an auto electric shop, but they make control cables as well. As long as they have a model to work from they can replicate most any handbrake cable.

·
Registered
256 Posts
WRT to the OP, as long as the adjusters are in good shape, there are places all over the country that can make new cables. In town it's oddly an auto electric shop, but they make control cables as well. As long as they have a model to work from they can replicate most any handbrake cable.
That is odd the electric shop makes those, guess it's just like a wire that moves in the insulation as opposed to doesn't. How is the e-brake adjusted on that type jvanabra? I used to have a 900 but as I said above, that was many moons ago, (about 25 years worth of moons lol), and my memory is froggy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts