SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've started a clean & polish phase for my OG9-3.
Being a 2000 model - its had a long life - but the paint in most places seems good with no cracks etc.
There are some problem areas, but on the most part it seems good.
Here is the most recent photo (see below).
I don't think it's been 'clay barred' recently. I've never done it during the last 2 years..<shame>

So I've started the process using this technique:
Working on a single panel only focus...
1. Car is washed - and stored under-cover in a secure area.
2. I use a clay bar 'Meguiars' and also use 'Autoglym Rapid Detailer' - as the clay bar lubricant.
3. Dry off.
4. Use 'Autoglym Super Resin Polish' .. applied and buffed by hand.

This method is very time consuming - but I know its a good process, with good products.
eg - Clay Bar + Polish on 1 rear side panel ( where the fuel cap is) took me approx 40 mins.
My question is this:
Will using a hand held mechanical polisher (Ryobi 18V +1 6") be too extreme at this stage?
I haven't used a clay bar before - so I could be spending too much time on that step - to be honest.
Suggestions / Observations?

·
Super Moderator
19,280 Posts
use clay until it stops dragging and making that noise as it pulls junk out of the paint
i would get a da polisher instead of hand if you plan to ever polish this car or another again. it is a lot of elbow grease.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Diggs.
I've basically finished the entire car using 'elbow grease' only. Each panel takes me about 1-2 hours - clay bar then polish then buff. I found the best test - is to 'feel' the surface the following day. Super smooth means I did a good job, otherwise its a mental note that panel is not perfect.
I will be adding a wax on top of the polish soon - so I will use the polisher for that I think. I'll a little unsure how to treat areas that you would not normally polish - like the metal on the inside of door jams and the trunk/boot sills. - This stage I just have a 'detailer spray' over them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts