SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The 2 small torx screws would have held the bracket that has the hall effect sensor in it. At least that's how it was on mine.
I don't know all the differences in years, but I know some cars have the hall sensor on the distributor. You might check there.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I have a 92 turbo vert. Does it have a crank position sensor?

All turbo variants derive the timing signal/pulse (crank signal) from distributor mounted sensors.

All engines up to 1988 used this construct.

From 1989 on, only normally aspirated engines sourced the timing signal/pulse from the crank sensor mounted on the oil pump.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Months go by with no update. Apologies for my negligence.

I got the crank sensor back in, spliced to the connector and insulated with the original sleeve. Replaced the oil pump seal, crank pulley, idler pulley, and belts. Putting it all back together took some doing, but we figured it out.
Car started up and ran just fine. Job done!
On to the other problems lol.

Thank you all very much for your help in solving this, your advice is much appreciated.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Excellent info, best on the subject. Thanks. Mute point, there are no crankshaft sensors available. Unless you have one stashed, one has to get a sensor distributor.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I ordered a couple of the sensors that secondsaab found on eBay. I have questions that maybe someone knows the answers to:

I. Is there a particular way that is best to tighten the rivets down once installed?
2. Is there something that should be under the sensor such as silicone grease?
3. Where can I buy the terminals and plastic connectors (both styles)?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I throw my hat in ring and say cut those little extension tube nubs off. The OG didn't have them. I have not worked with this one specifically. I think that's the least expensive one ive seen out there that meets specification. Ive seen other manufacturers making replacements for triple the price, i dont' think they have the nubs though.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm guessing that they just get hammered over to retain the sensor to the "breaker plate", but not sure until I take it apart. Sensors look like they are pretty nice quality and appear very close to the originals, but we will have to see how they function.

Thanks, secondsaab for pointing them out.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts