SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my '86 turbo 900 Hall sensor wires have broken so now the car doesn't start. '86 Turbo has the Hall sensor within the distributor. Wondering if anyone has repaired theirs? More importantly, do you know which order the wires go into the harness/plug? Red/Black/Green?

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Hi all, my '86 turbo 900 Hall sensor wires have broken so now the car doesn't start. '86 Turbo has the Hall sensor within the distributor. Wondering if anyone has repaired theirs? More importantly, do you know which order the wires go into the harness/plug? Red/Black/Green?
Yes you can repair it. There are Chinese equivalent sensors. Perhaps someone else can chime in with numbers.
Have you tried doing a search in the forum?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wire fix

Any reason that this fix wouldn't work? I hate to graft on newer wires since there is several inches to work with so long as you don't run them around the shaft.
2 of the wires just broke off at the connectors. I put some silicone to hold the 3 wires in place, i will need to do something about the huge space in the distributer now that the connector is all broken off.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
As long as the wires are mechanically safe and properly connected you're good to go. It's just service hassles and reliability, right?

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Any reason that this fix wouldn't work? I hate to graft on newer wires since there is several inches to work with so long as you don't run them around the shaft.
2 of the wires just broke off at the connectors. I put some silicone to hold the 3 wires in place, i will need to do something about the huge space in the distributor now that the connector is all broken off.
It seems that you have stuck the wires to the circular plate with silicone. I think you may have overlooked the fact that the plate moves under action from the vacuum capsule. Get yourself a suitable large rubber grommet that fits in the square aperture in the outer body and allow the wires to move. Acquaint yourself with adhesive lined heatshrink sleeving.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm the guy from the cited thread who had an ignition issue few weeks ago. With the help of jvanabra we tracked the issue to the hall sensor.
FYI I ended up ordering a used distributor from ebay which got me back on the road (60$). I also ordered a new hall sensor, which still hasnt arrived :/. let me know if you need the order info.

If that install doesnt go well, I have found several listings for reman distributors for around 200 US. not too bad. and you"ll get a new oval connector, you will still need to track down the other (male) side of the connector though, which I haven't been able to do yet.

regarding the order, check out the image in my thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks peva, this is exactly why i asked the question before i moved forward. I just moved the plate and it extends clockwise from its position about a half an inch. With that notch in the housing the wires seem to be clear from being pinched off. I will put a heatsink wrapper around the 3 wires to protect them and then maybe JB weld the notch.
Any issues with that scenario?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you saying I should graft longer cords and run it around the shaft and not the silicone solution!

Also, I want to replace the O ring on the distributer. My local Saab dealer (yes we still have one) gave me the wrong one and they state there isn't another size available. The one pictured here is much thicker than the one they said fit. Anyone simply replace the O ring on there dizzy?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
So you saying I should graft longer cords and run it around the shaft and not the silicone solution!

Also, I want to replace the O ring on the distributer. My local Saab dealer (yes we still have one) gave me the wrong one and they state there isn't another size available. The one pictured here is much thicker than the one they said fit. Anyone simply replace the O ring on there dizzy?
I usually use two standard O rings side by side. Doesn't leak.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wire routing

So you saying I should graft longer cords and run it around the shaft and not the silicone solution ?
Well i am not saying...that was peva's observation. If you suck on the vacuum advance, and place your finger on the disc, you will feel it rotate as you release suction.

I presented the picture as representative of it before my disassembly and red wire repair...to show te routing.

I am a 71 year old novice to this repair, and feel like a teenager!

Now to get back to soldering and reassembly.
3 Hours Ago 04:21 PM

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow Just traced the thread mentioned above and found the listing of the hall effect sensor. Reasonably priced . I think I will get one to rebuild the other dizzy I have with bad wires to keep one hand rather than the bulky solder joint I just made, subject to failure.

sample below:
Ops! Jaycars is in austrailia sorry!
https://www.jaycar.us/hkz-101-hall-e...duced/p/ZD1900

But then there is AliExpress...( have bought many things from them) And the AliExpress one even carries the SIEMENS name on it !!!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32215057977.html
At $19.88 that's not too bad

Thank You Jeffsaab

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
5 Participants
peva
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing