SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well just a little bit of an update, i've been just hanging around in the city for the past few days because the police in my county don't uh... well we don't get along well :roll: regardless though! for the main bit: i was driving on sunday (it was raining) and was going through a stoplight when i hit a puddle, and started to slide into the right lane (and there was a line of cars in said lane :x ) so i turned the wheel slightly left to try to see if i could correct my course... well, the front wheels decided to catch traction at that very second, and i ended up doing a 720 while i went up and over the cement curb that divided the oncoming lanes, across two oncoming lanes (thank GOD there wasn't anyone coming at the time), and into the grass on the opposite side... luckily my brother was in our van ahead of me, and he saw me, pulled over, and he ran over to see if i was ok... i was, Uma is ok as well, however, some damage WAS done... the front right rim is bent slightly (damnit!!! it's my AERO rim, too!!) and the skid plate is now up against the transmission ;oops:... yes, i was doing the speed limit when the wreck happened... i think the reason it happened was my rear tires are bald... i mean, not more than 1mm of tread left ;oops: either way though, as bad as it was, it could have been much much worse, and honestly, i'm kinda proud of myself because i didn't panic this time! i countersteered somewhat ok, and by the second spin around i got it controlled so i was facing the right way (see diagram below), and i didn't have my foot mashed on the brakes this time, lol... granted this does make me 2 for 2 in hitting curbs in december, lol! :lol:

diagram:

i'm the purple rectangle, the sides with the red squares is the rear end, and the sides with the yellow squares are my headlights

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
you are an idiot.

bald tires in winter= stupid

"SPEED LIMIT" = fastest you can go in perfect conditions

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DanF. said:
you are an idiot.

bald tires in winter= stupid

"SPEED LIMIT" = fastest you can go in perfect conditions
in my defense, i didn't know they were bald until said wreck ;oops: i uh... don't check that often... besides, i didn't figure the rears would be bald first... though then again, they WERE on the front when i got her back back in may and had... fun :lol: and i'm not gonna delve into the whole speed limit things, i'd end up getting banned from these boards, at least if my experience with the law here is any indication :roll:

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
It's not so much the speed limit issue it's the not smashing into things :cheesy:

Did the car slide right and you turned left? Always turn to where the back wants to go, you want to put the car straight again... doesn't matter if the car wants to go to the ditch turn turn turn into the skid ;)

What's the weather like out there, here we have snowstorm

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when i started sliding after the front caught traction, the back slid around to my right, so the front of the car bit the curb, kept spinning while on it, and it spun again counterclockwise (viewing from above) until my rear end was facing into oncoming traffic, and heading towards oncoming traffic as well, then i whipped the wheel to the left, making me spin 180º counterclockwise into the grass on the side of the road, where i came to a stop

EDIT: when the car was going backwards towards oncoming traffic, it was going straight, i made it do the last 180º spin

EDIT2: and weather here is COLD, but no precipitation since sunday

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
mikewitdaspike said:
i ended up doing a 720 while i went up and over the cement curb that divided the oncoming lanes, across two oncoming lanes
Based on your diagram you actually only did one 360 degree turn. I guess that makes you half as stupid. :lol:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
900t said:
doesn't matter if the car wants to go to the ditch turn turn turn into the skid ;)
It's good to practice skid control when no one's around, especially in the snow... empty parking lots are your friend ;)

If you practice under controlled conditions it'll be natural to do the right thing when its a surprise.

Nice diagram!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steve Corgan said:
Based on your diagram you actually only did one 360 degree turn. I guess that makes you half as stupid. :lol:
oh hey... lol, i guess i did only do a 360... i seem to recall doing two circles... but then again, i kept whipping my head around to see oncoming traffic :lol:

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
mikewitdaspike said:
oh hey... lol, i guess i did only do a 360... i seem to recall doing two circles... but then again, i kept whipping my head around to see oncoming traffic :lol:
I'm glad you found my comments humorous. I intended it that way.

I once did a 360 on an icy road here in Missouri. I had the head from my 900S, some other parts, and a tool box in the back of my Explorer along with my Australian Shepard. Agile sheep dog she is, she was able to dance while we spun. It seemed like time was suspended for those brief moments. When I finally got the front going frontwards again we were headed for the woods, coming to rest between two big oaks with neery a scratch on the Ford. Soon one of those good ol Missouri country boys in an F350 4x4 dueley came along and pulled me out. It made his day and mine too! :lol:

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Mike Mike Mike

What do we do?:lol:

I'm glad you are ok man. But come on, seriously. You can't go crashing like this all the time. One time you will not get so lucky.

I know what hitting puddles can do, which is why from a very early time on I take no more chances (yes I screwed up once). Around here it rains lots and puddles are so bloody dangerous in so many ways. You sink, you float, you hydroplane, car stalls, you drown, you hydroplane and spin out of control. yikes!

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
We're going to have to confiscate your SPG rims if you keep this up Mike. ;) I'm sure someone would hold them for you and trade you out a set of steel rims. :D

Seriously though, in rainy conditions, you need to really slow down if it’s been pooling up, at speed as you found out it can really yank you around. Don't pay attention to speed limits except as guidelines of what not to exceed, or by much at least, what you want to do is drive what the conditions warrant, if its been coming down hard, and the water hasn't had time to drain out and off and away, don't go the max speed limit just because the signs say so, use your head and drive what you feel the conditions warrant and a speed that will give you time and room to react in just such a circumstance.

There's a book out there called, "Drive to Survive", you local library will probably have it, get it and read it.

Something to remember is you're not only trying to keep yourself safe, but others around you safe as well. What if you had went into oncoming traffic "at the speed limit" and hit a vehicle head on? What if there had been a child or baby who wasn't properly fastened in and was killed, or a pregnant woman who miscarriaged as a result of the wreck, or any number of scenarios . Not to preach, but as a driver we have a great deal of responsibility not only to ourselves but to the community around us. It’s a privilege not a right, and it’s a privilege that can be taken away. You can’t dwell on this all day long and drive around with you car bubble wrapped just in case something happens, but you can do the best you can and drive smart and drive defensively. Don’t drive like other “tell you” or like you “have to” but rather learn how to gauge the circumstances yourself, and react and adapt accordingly. A lot of drivers never learn to do this, they see speed limit 50, and although they can barely see the sign through the poring rain or snow or hail or whatever, they mindlessly drive 50 because it’s the speed limit and its “safe” to do 50 "because the speed limit says so". Don't be like them.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Matt88S said:
We're going to have to confiscate your SPG rims if you keep this up Mike. ;) I'm sure someone would hold them for you and trade you out a set of steel rims. :D

Seriously though, in rainy conditions, you need to really slow down if it’s been pooling up, at speed as you found out it can really yank you around. Don't pay attention to speed limits except as guidelines of what not to exceed, or by much at least, what you want to do is drive what the conditions warrant, if its been coming down hard, and the water hasn't had time to drain out and off and away, don't go the max speed limit just because the signs say so, use your head and drive what you feel the conditions warrant and a speed that will give you time and room to react in just such a circumstance.

There's a book out there called, "Drive to Survive", you local library will probably have it, get it and read it.

Something to remember is you're not only trying to keep yourself safe, but others around you safe as well. What if you had went into oncoming traffic "at the speed limit" and hit a vehicle head on? What if there had been a child or baby who wasn't properly fastened in and was killed, or a pregnant woman who miscarriaged as a result of the wreck, or any number of scenarios . Not to preach, but as a driver we have a great deal of responsibility not only to ourselves but to the community around us. It’s a privilege not a right, and it’s a privilege that can be taken away. You can’t dwell on this all day long and drive around with you car bubble wrapped just in case something happens, but you can do the best you can and drive smart and drive defensively. Don’t drive like other “tell you” or like you “have to” but rather learn how to gauge the circumstances yourself, and react and adapt accordingly. A lot of drivers never learn to do this, they see speed limit 50, and although they can barely see the sign through the poring rain or snow or hail or whatever, they mindlessly drive 50 because it’s the speed limit and its “safe” to do 50 "because the speed limit says so". Don't be like them.
And, buying a new set of tires for your car should not be a life altering experience, but not doing it could be.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Wow, you guys really take the time to care.

What other forum does that? And a car forum!

We also forget that roads are very slick when it has not rained in a while and they are a bit damp all of a sudden. The oil is lifted along with other crud and the road it much more slippery. Traction improves after a hard rain.

A really good set of Rain Tyres (or snow tyres) will really improve the hydroplane situation BIG TIME. I had 30% left on my last set of tyres and I replaced them and the differnce is unreal. In temperatures below 8C snow tyres are better than all-seasons even in the rain. Just some food for thought.

I live in a rainforest (no, seriously) and I see drivers every day do really stupid things despite prob years of experince in the rain. We also have to be prepared to make sudden choices because of "those people".

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Yeah don't worry too much Mike, you are developing your skills of driving through these silly accidents. I remember once when I was starting out, it was drizzling and I was on a recently paved road with a curve. The limit was 30 MPH and I was doing about 35-40 when I went around the curve. Except, the curve was not banked it was flat, and it was a good 90 degrees. I just slid right into the sidewalk on the other side :lol: And my tires were new! (but sucky in the wet)

There was just some guy coming in the other direction that just stopped. I was kind of embarassed so I just put it in R, backed up, "crunch" and then went on my way with my tail between my legs :lol:

Nice picture Mike, nice avatar Grif! :cool:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Good to hear you are ok mike. You'll figure it out eventually. I've made many expensive and possibly fatal mistakes when I was figuring out how and when to drive. I lost count of how many rims I've bent. My first car was an old truck with standard brakes. Than I went to a fwd car with abs ... that took me awhile to figure out. Something along the lines of one tie rod and numerous rims. Last winter I bent the rear control arm on my fathers park avenue. That was a new rim, new wheel bearing, and new control arm. Ended up costing around $1500. The roads were clear but had a little slush on them. I must of caught a slush pocket and the car just spun around with no warning or anything. My father is so tight on money that he waited until his tires were similar to yours. Almost like slicks on the back. I told him to get them replaced but ... he was worried about the cost. *sigh* my car was in the shop at the time so I took his to get to work. I was driving slow and everything. Sometimes no matter how cautious you are it happens. Had the first close call in the 900 tonight. It snowed really bad here and the roads were covered in snow and ice. I was driving SLOW since I have all seasons and was close to grounding out in the snow. Some D Bag in a grand prix pulled right out in front of me. I hit the brakes and than slid into the other lane to avoid him. Luckily there was no one there. Scared me so bad. Glad to know the abs works though!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
yah, i'm going to save some money from this paycheck and my next and get some good Kumhos on there (Solus KH16s to be exact, my friend has a set of those, and she has UNREAL amounts of traction, even in the wet :eek: ), and as for the rim... well, i'd LIKE to get a new one to replace it, but i need to at least get it bent back, because it's out of balance right now, so it vibrates the car at speed :x plus she's out of alignment, i can feel it (not terribly, but enough to notice)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Glad you (and other motorists) turned out okay, Mike.

Keep in mind that if you ever get stopped or you get into an accident, and the police see your tires with less-than-legal thread limits, Uma WILL be impounded, and in the accident scenario, the blame most likely will be placed on you. Speed limits are only set for perfect conditions, if an officer witnessed what you did he could have very well given you a ticket for unsafe and imprudent speed when you claim you "were doing the speed limit", though clearly the conditions were not up to par for said limit. I always avoid large puddles, either I dont want to splash people on the sidewalk, in the opposite lane or lose control.
I'm not ragging you Mike, just giving the ramafications that are possible that were given to me by a cop buddy when I burned all the thread off my tires in my RWD 350 Olds ;) If tires are a big expense, there are usually used tire places where you can pick up cheap decent tires, my friends friend does this with his E36 M3, apparently he goes through tires like water.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
check your tyres once a week like your oil and water,(oh" you don't do that either:cheesy: ) yes i know things can go wrong like puncture and oil/water leaks in seconds if something fails, but if you've checked them regularly you won't feel as bad as if you have'nt at all, as then at least you can think to yourself, the car was ok yesterday etc. tyres (2mm depth min)are an easy stop and check for police here, 3points on licence(max12 in a year) and £60 for each tyre, and rightly so, if you had skidded and took someone out then you would have been in the 5h1t, and you have to live with that.
ice and rubber don't go well together anyway, but slicks. take care out there

1 - 20 of 22 Posts