SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to have an exhaust on my Linear that offers a bit more sound under acceleration so that I can listen more to the note and tell when to shift. Right now it's so doggone quiet I have to watch the tach to know when to shift! :cheesy:

Only thing is, I'd like it to remain quiet at constant speed.

Any recommendations for this? I was considering the Saab performance exhausts offered in the Accessory Catalog.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
The Saab Sport Exhausts are the exact same thing as what comes on the Linear... just with different tips. You won't really hear a sound difference.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
you'll want something with at least an aftermarket (non-SAAB) muffler, or an entire cat-back system replacing the resonator.

The BSR cat back exhaust is slightly louder at idle and provides a very comfortable drive on the freeway, only slightly louder than stock. Under hard accel, I want to say that the engine noise still overpowers the exhaust note.

You may want to consider changing out the air filter - you can hear the intake 'noise' more this way.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have had the Magnaflow free-flowing muffler in my 9-3SS for over 2 years now. It still sounds great under acceleration, low deep tone when going through the 1st three gears. During cruising, it is definitely louder than stock muffler, but not ricey at all. Very European-like.

·
Registered
173 Posts
i have a custom 2.5" cat-back system....eliminated the resonator, so just a 2.5" pipe from the cat/flexpipe back to a vortex performance muffler

its loud when u get on it but fairly calm when just cruising

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Automaggot said:
Do you have your resonator still Mav?
Yes, I only changed the muffler, as the whole deal of putting in a true racing exhaust system (including racing exhaust headers), which is the only way to get a real performance boost, was just too costly.

I just love the aggressive low deep growling sound as I accelerate it through the 1st three gears. Not like those "ricey" honda big tube mufflers, which sounds like a motorcycle exhaust.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Good to hear Mav. I want the nice Euro sound without too much noise at cruising speed because I make frequent long trips to Vermont and New York.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Automaggot

The Magnaflow will sound a little louder than the stock muffler, even at cruising, there's no two way around it, as this is a true straight-thru free-flowing muffler. But IMHO, it's acceptable, it does come very close to the European sport exhaust without the high price. :D

Automaggot said:
Good to hear Mav. I want the nice Euro sound without too much noise at cruising speed because I make frequent long trips to Vermont and New York.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Automaggot said:
The Saab Sport Exhausts are the exact same thing as what comes on the Linear... just with different tips. You won't really hear a sound difference.
Woah is that true???

I'll just buy the tip then! Don't really care for sound, just like the look of aero's.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Passions said:
Woah is that true???
I'll just buy the tip then! Don't really care for sound, just like the look of aero's.
JWLANKY said:
Anyone know where to buy them from???
You can't, it's not just a tip set. The tips are all one piece with the backbox, which (combined with the aero fascia cutout) is why it's so much money. The two pipes extend all the way to the outlet lip, and are opposite "D" shaped, all welded together, with a stainless sleeve also welded on.

I had considered taking the tip from my aero exhaust and having it installed on a magnaflow muffler to retain the total stock appearance, but between being two separate pipes into one oval, and being all welded, it was not worth the effort. I ended up going with a similar oval slant from magnaflow:

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Thanks. I thought as much. All the add-on tailpipes i have seen are single / single to twin.
I'll wait patiently to stumble across a suitable 'Aero' looky-likey.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Your on my wavelenght. I have my name down for a Aero exhaust, just a matter of waiting. There are lots of 'New' Aero parts coming onto the market because of people upgrading to Hirsch;) !!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts