SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
I read through all 39 pages of the Tech 2 Clone thread today and noticed that some people were having problems installing TIS2000 on machines running anything other than Windows XP Pro 32-bit. In the following, I am going to explain why this seemed to be the case and show how you CAN install TIS2000 on machines other than WinXP Pro.

64-bit versions of Windows contain backwards compatibility with 32-bit applications, but not with 16-bit applications. And 32-bit versions of Windows are backwards compatible with 16-bit applications. The problem with installing TIS2000 on newer machines is that, while the TIS2000 program itself is 32-bit, the installer and drivers are 16-bit. Therefore, you are able to install TIS2000 natively on ANY 32-bit Windows system. This will just work, without having to run anything in compatibility mode.

However, if you have a 32-bit copy of Windows 8 installed (I don't wanna know why you do), running 16-bit applications are disabled by default. You can enable it by going to Control Panel and clicking on 16-bit Application Support then clicking Enable.

For those of you with genuine copies of Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate with a multi-core processor (who doesn't run Win7 on a multi-core these days); these versions of Windows 7 allow you to use Windows Virtual PC, which lets you virtually run Windows XP Pro without a disc or OS installation. You need to install Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC in order to use it. Before you can download these updates, M$ makes you run a little .exe that checks if your OS install is legitimate. Anyway, after you get that all installed and XP Mode is booted, you can copy the OP's cracked TIS2000.zip over to the WinXP Desktop and follow the README.txt inside to install it. Here is a link to the thread with the cracked TIS2000 http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2435898&postcount=1 ...I have tested this on my desktop running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and the cracked copy of TIS2000 the OP posted installed and ran with no problems. Instructions for Win7 XP Pro virtualization mode here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Now to the most common problem. If you are running a 64-bit version of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 Home Premium or lower, or ALL versions of Windows 8 and 8.1, I guess any version of Mac or Linux too, you have a couple of more involved and more risky options...

You can obtain a legal copy of Windows 2000 or XP Pro 32-bit on your own. It includes two programs for making a bootable CD or USB drive. Pop the bootable device you created into your laptop, reboot to the device, then install that operating system onto a seperate partition of your hard drive, or a different hdd altogether. Or you can install Virtualbox (free software), and run the cracked Windows copy via a virtual machine... The method I took to test this was to create a separate partition on my ssd and install it there. When the computer reboots, it will ask you what OS you would like to run. Select Windows XP Pro, then continue installing TIS2000. If you're gonna be writing to the main drive on your computer, I suggest first creating a bootable USB with Clonezilla on it and creating a drive backup with that http://clonezilla.org/downloads.php ...This allows you to make a complete backup image of your hard drive, and allows you to flash it back to that drive at any time. A good thing to have around anyway.

I do not have a Tech 2 device and am unable to test that everything is working with any of these methods. However, I see no reason why these solutions will not work with a RS232 to USB Convertor on any computer you may have without a serial port.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
I read through all 39 pages of the Tech 2 Clone thread today and noticed that some people were having problems installing TIS2000 on machines running anything other than Windows XP Pro 32-bit. In the following, I am going to explain why this seemed to be the case and show how you CAN install TIS2000 on machines other than WinXP Pro.

64-bit versions of Windows contain backwards compatibility with 32-bit applications, but not with 16-bit applications. And 32-bit versions of Windows are backwards compatible with 16-bit applications. The problem with installing TIS2000 on newer machines is that, while the TIS2000 program itself is 32-bit, the installer and drivers are 16-bit. Therefore, you are able to install TIS2000 natively on ANY 32-bit Windows system. This will just work, without having to run anything in compatibility mode.

However, if you have a 32-bit copy of Windows 8 installed (I don't wanna know why you do), running 16-bit applications are disabled by default. You can enable it by going to Control Panel and clicking on 16-bit Application Support then clicking Enable.

For those of you with genuine copies of Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate with a multi-core processor (who doesn't run Win7 on a multi-core these days); these versions of Windows 7 allow you to use Windows Virtual PC, which lets you virtually run Windows XP Pro without a disc or OS installation. You need to install Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC in order to use it. Before you can download these updates, M$ makes you run a little .exe that checks if your OS install is legitimate. Anyway, after you get that all installed and XP Mode is booted, you can copy the OP's cracked TIS2000.zip over to the WinXP Desktop and follow the README.txt inside to install it. Here is a link to the thread with the cracked TIS2000 http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2435898&postcount=1 ...I have tested this on my desktop running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and the cracked copy of TIS2000 the OP posted installed and ran with no problems. Instructions for Win7 XP Pro virtualization mode here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Now to the most common problem. If you are running a 64-bit version of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 Home Premium or lower, or ALL versions of Windows 8 and 8.1, I guess any version of Mac or Linux too, you have a couple of more involved and more risky options...

You can obtain a copy of Windows 2000 or XP Pro 32-bit. It includes two programs for making a bootable CD or USB drive. Pop the bootable device you created into your laptop, reboot to the device, then install that operating system onto a seperate partition of your hard drive, or a different hdd altogether. Or you can install Virtualbox (free software), and run the cracked Windows copy via a virtual machine... The method I took to test this was to create a separate partition on my ssd and install it there. When the computer reboots, it will ask you what OS you would like to run. Select Windows XP Pro, then continue installing TIS2000. If you're gonna be writing to the main drive on your computer, I suggest first creating a bootable USB with Clonezilla on it and creating a drive backup with that http://clonezilla.org/downloads.php ...This allows you to make a complete backup image of your hard drive, and allows you to flash it back to that drive at any time. A good thing to have around anyway.

I do not have a Tech 2 device and am unable to test that everything is working with any of these methods. However, I see no reason why these solutions will not work with a RS232 to USB Convertor on any computer you may have without a serial port.
none of this matters unless you have a hardware serial port on your computer, i tried a serial to usb converter using vmware workstation 7 with zero success, i even made sure the tech II and usb to serial converter were on the same com port. I did all the proper driver installs, but i could not get security acess to the tech II, and it will also not work if you try to use a ethernet to usb adapter.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
none of this matters unless you have a hardware serial port on your computer, i tried a serial to usb converter using vmware workstation 7 with zero success, i even made sure the tech II and usb to serial converter were on the same com port. I did all the proper driver installs, but i could not get security acess to the tech II, and it will also not work if you try to use a ethernet to usb adapter.
I've run into problems with how VMware handles USB connections in the past, when supporting an Android hacking kit, you need to add a USB 2.0 hardware controller to the VM.

Also, you don't use an ethernet to usb adapter with the Tech 2.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
I've run into problems with how VMware handles USB connections in the past, when supporting an Android hacking kit, you need to add a USB 2.0 hardware controller to the VM.

Also, you don't use an ethernet to usb adapter with the Tech 2.
I have no issues with my vmware on the certain computer i was running it with, this is not cross platform linux, this is straight windows programs and apps were working with.

the dongle was recognized and the drivers were installed, I could see the com port in the device manager. I have my vmware set up right, and i can access and use usb items like my canusb, and my thumb drives with no problem.

The only reason why i said an ethernet to usb adapter does not work is because the tech II uses an ethernet out to an ethernet to serial adapter, but i could not switch it to a com port.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no issues with my vmware on the certain computer i was running it with, this is not cross platform linux, this is straight windows programs and apps were working with.

the dongle was recognized and the drivers were installed, I could see the com port in the device manager. I have my vmware set up right, and i can access and use usb items like my canusb, and my thumb drives with no problem.

The only reason why i said an ethernet to usb adapter does not work is because the tech II uses an ethernet out to an ethernet to serial adapter, but i could not switch it to a com port.
If you look it up on the VMware page, it says you need to install the USB 2.0 hardware controls for USB connections to work. This isn't an issue limited to just Android. http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=774

Also, not having security access has little to do with getting the program installed, which is what this thread is about. Security access has to do with either not installing the crack correct or not having a valid subscription.

·
Super Moderator
18,995 Posts
I understand that Saab abandoned us and we need cracked programs to utilize Tech2's, but Microsoft (no matter where you sit in the spectrum of like/dislike of the company) did not abandon us. Please don't link to outside download sites for cracked software. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
If you look it up on the VMware page, it says you need to install the USB 2.0 hardware controls for USB connections to work. This isn't an issue limited to just Android. http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=774

Also, not having security access has little to do with getting the program installed, which is what this thread is about. Security access has to do with either not installing the crack correct or not having a valid subscription.

well heres the thing I have my usb configured on my vmware, it works fine, I promise you that it works.

The dilemma is that i am not the only person to have tried a serial to usb on vm. the other people who have from my search have no luck either.

To test the com connection you need to run the security access. That is how you test to see if the tech II unit can communicate to TIS2000.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well heres the thing I have my usb configured on my vmware, it works fine, I promise you that it works.

The dilemma is that i am not the only person to have tried a serial to usb on vm. the other people who have from my search have no luck either.

To test the com connection you need to run the security access. That is how you test to see if the tech II unit can communicate to TIS2000.
Maybe it's the rs232>usb adapter you guys are using. Not all rs232 to USB adapters use the same chipset. Unfortunately some are just plain junk. Do you know what chipset yours uses or have the link of the one you purchased?

I just tried using my HPTuner through a WinXP Pro Virtualbox instance on my laptop and I connected and created a log just fine. Not that that means much, it's just all I can verify working myself right now.

Anyway, this thread was about installing TIS2000, not about rs232>usb. I understand that part of this thread is useless without a working rs232>usb, but since I don't have a Tech2 or rs232>usb yet, I can't help you as much as I'd like.

Guess I should've waited to post this.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Maybe it's the rs232>usb adapter you guys are using. Not all rs232 to USB adapters use the same chipset. Unfortunately some are just plain junk. Do you know what chipset yours uses or have the link of the one you purchased?

I just tried using my HPTuner through a WinXP Pro Virtualbox instance on my laptop and I connected and created a log just fine. Not that that means much, it's just all I can verify working myself right now.

Anyway, this thread was about installing TIS2000, not about rs232>usb. I understand that part of this thread is useless without a working rs232>usb, but since I don't have a Tech2 or rs232>usb yet, I can't help you as much as I'd like.

Guess I should've waited to post this.
I was using the prolific verison 2 chipset, and the only people in that main thread that i saw that got it to work were using the prolific, but i do not think they were using vm. The trendnet serial to usb is sposta be the best one out there, the drivers are good quality.

I understand that you made this to show people how to install tis, but without highlighting that point that the serial to usb does not work with the vm (or atleast so it seems that way) its pointless to install it on vm. Honestly you would be better doing a partition install of xp on a system then using a vm, it would work faster and communicate better, and the serial to usb seems to work that way.

I mean if someone got the serial to usb to work on a vm they could definitely chime in because I tried everything to make that work, and im 27.5 precent sure that it was some sort of com port communication error between vm and the dongle.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was using the prolific verison 2 chipset, and the only people in that main thread that i saw that got it to work were using the prolific, but i do not think they were using vm. The trendnet serial to usb is sposta be the best one out there, the drivers are good quality.

I understand that you made this to show people how to install tis, but without highlighting that point that the serial to usb does not work with the vm (or atleast so it seems that way) its pointless to install it on vm. Honestly you would be better doing a partition install of xp on a system then using a vm, it would work faster and communicate better, and the serial to usb seems to work that way.

I mean if someone got the serial to usb to work on a vm they could definitely chime in because I tried everything to make that work, and im 27.5 precent sure that it was some sort of com port communication error between vm and the dongle.
No need to point out that it doesn't work. I am 100% positive rs232 to USB adapters work in VirtualBox, because I've seen it done in school before. I wouldn't have posted this if I wasn't positive it worked. I don't really use VMware, so I dunno about that. Which is why I recommended Virtualbox. Actually, I only mentioned using Virtualbox. In the instance where Virtualbox COULD be used, I recommended installing XP Pro on a new partition. Where XP Pro already comes with your system, is where I recommended Windows Virtual PC... Anyway, I'll check around to see if I can find a list of known working chipsets.

Just because someone got a chipset working without VM, doesn't mean it will work with VM. Windows and Windows through a VM handle USB connections differently. Also a lot of certain chipset/driver devices have intermittent connection issues which are more prevalent in VMs.

I kinda get the feeling you're arguing with me for the sake of arguing.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, I have a friend who has two rs232 to usb adapters and is letting me remote into one of his extra machines today. One uses the FTDI chipset and the other uses the PL-2303 chipset.

I will be testing these in Windows Virtual PC with XP Pro mode and with Virtualbox 4.3. I cannot test with VMware as neither of us have a license for it and there are too many versions to test.

If I cannot get rs232>usb to work in Virtual PC or VirtualBox, then I will remove mention of them in my post.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Okay, I have a friend who has two rs232 to usb adapters and is letting me remote into one of his extra machines today. One uses the FTDI chipset and the other uses the PL-2303 chipset.

I will be testing these in Windows Virtual PC with XP Pro mode and with Virtualbox 4.3. I cannot test with VMware as neither of us have a license for it and there are too many versions to test.

If I cannot get rs232>usb to work in Virtual PC or VirtualBox, then I will remove mention of them in my post.
I kinda get the feeling you're arguing with me for the sake of arguing.
yup

you need to get it to work with the tech II unit thats the issue. If you can get it to work that would be amazing, and i guess i would have to do a vmbox setup.

I think im just going to go the partition method or cheap laptop.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I can verify that I was able to get the adapter with the FTDI chipset working flawlessly. Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Valley Enterprises USB to RS232 Serial DB9 Cable Adapter FTDI Chipset (10 Feet)
I used these drivers on the Guest WinXP Pro OS. NOT on the Host OS!! We don't want the host trying to hijack our connection. http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm for both Windows Virtual PC and Virtualbox, both using WinXP Pro as the Guest OS. Note that the VCP drivers will not work if the D2XX drivers are currently installed. Windows Update may automatically install one of these drivers upon you plugging the rs232>usb adapter, so make sure it's removed before installed the VCP driver in the link above. If you have them installed, remove the D2XX drivers before installing the VCP drivers. Also, you are going to need to install the drivers twice. Once for the USB Serial Convertor and again for the USB Serial Port. More information on installing the drivers can be found here. http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/AppNotes/AN_104_FTDI_Drivers_Installation_Guide_for_WindowsXP(FT_000093).pdf ...Also, I had the USB 2.0 controller installed for Virtualbox. This shouldn't make a difference, but I had it installed anyway. One more thing, make sure the USB adapter is NOT plugged in until AFTER you start the virtual machine.

The PL-203 chipset adapter was a little different story. I tried numerous times with a couple different ways, but couldn't get the adapter to work at all. I used installer version 1.8.19 drivers 2.1.44.226 from here http://prolificusa.com/pl-2303hx-drivers/

My friend that was helping me do this told me he's has problems with all the different rs232>usb adapters in VMs too. He generally agreed with the finding in the last post here. https://communities.vmware.com/message/1700469

From all the research and testing I've done, I'd say the FTDI chipset rs232>usb adapter is the way to go for Tech2 use on a virtual machine.

yup

you need to get it to work with the tech II unit thats the issue. If you can get it to work that would be amazing, and i guess i would have to do a vmbox setup.

I think im just going to go the partition method or cheap laptop.

Now that TIS2000 and the rs232>usb adapter are working in Virtualbox and Virtual PC, I don't see any reason the Tech2 can't communicate with the PC. All of it's communication paths are covered. Since I don't own a Tech2, would you be able to test it for me using the method I outlined?

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Well, I can verify that I was able to get the adapter with the FTDI chipset working flawlessly. Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Valley Enterprises USB to RS232 Serial DB9 Cable Adapter FTDI Chipset (10 Feet)
I used these drivers on the Guest WinXP Pro OS. NOT on the Host OS!! We don't want the host trying to hijack our connection. http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm for both Windows Virtual PC and Virtualbox, both using WinXP Pro as the Guest OS. Note that the VCP drivers will not work if the D2XX drivers are currently installed. Windows Update may automatically install one of these drivers upon you plugging the rs232>usb adapter, so make sure it's removed before installed the VCP driver in the link above. If you have them installed, remove the D2XX drivers before installing the VCP drivers. Also, you are going to need to install the drivers twice. Once for the USB Serial Convertor and again for the USB Serial Port. More information on installing the drivers can be found here. http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/AppNotes/AN_104_FTDI_Drivers_Installation_Guide_for_WindowsXP(FT_000093).pdf ...Also, I had the USB 2.0 controller installed for Virtualbox. This shouldn't make a difference, but I had it installed anyway. One more thing, make sure the USB adapter is NOT plugged in until AFTER you start the virtual machine.

The PL-203 chipset adapter was a little different story. I tried numerous times with a couple different ways, but couldn't get the adapter to work at all. I used installer version 1.8.19 drivers 2.1.44.226 from here http://prolificusa.com/pl-2303hx-drivers/

My friend that was helping me do this told me he's has problems with all the different rs232>usb adapters in VMs too. He generally agreed with the finding in the last post here. https://communities.vmware.com/message/1700469

From all the research and testing I've done, I'd say the FTDI chipset rs232>usb adapter is the way to go for Tech2 use on a virtual machine.

Now that TIS2000 and the rs232>usb adapter are working in Virtualbox and Virtual PC, I don't see any reason the Tech2 can't communicate with the PC. All of it's communication paths are covered. Since I don't own a Tech2, would you be able to test it for me using the method I outlined?

do you not understand I had a working serial to usb on my vm with no problems? did you test the serial port to see communication?

I think the partition method, or buy a cheap laptop is still a better method.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
do you not understand I had a working serial to usb on my vm with no problems? did you test the serial port to see communication?

I think the partition method, or buy a cheap laptop is still a better method.
Yes, my friend tested the serial port with one of his devices for his job and was able to communicate with it. This was while I was still remoted in, so I saw that it was working.

And yes, installing WinXP Pro 32-bit on a separate partition is still an easier method than Virtualbox. Again, this is why I recommended running it this way in my original post. However, M$ support for WinXP will end in April 2014. This can lead to more compatibility issues in the future and virtualizing everything may be the easier option.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Yes, my friend tested the serial port with one of his devices for his job and was able to communicate with it. This was while I was still remoted in, so I saw that it was working.

And yes, installing WinXP Pro 32-bit on a separate partition is still an easier method than Virtualbox. Again, this is why I recommended running it this way in my original post. However, M$ support for WinXP will end in April 2014. This can lead to more compatibility issues in the future and virtualizing everything may be the easier option.
get gerry to let you try to get security access on tis2000 with your vm. Id like to see if you get acess. I had nothing to test the serial port with becides the tech II.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
get gerry to let you try to get security access on tis2000 with your vm. Id like to see if you get acess. I had nothing to test the serial port with becides the tech II.
I have plans to meet up with him sometime in the near future. I should set a date for that soon before his breaks all together. I would have to purchase my own FTDI rs232>usb adapter before I can test, unless he has one already.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
I have plans to meet up with him sometime in the near future. I should set a date for that soon before his breaks all together. I would have to purchase my own FTDI rs232>usb adapter before I can test, unless he has one already.
well I went to microcenter today to pick up an ftdi based adapter, and all they has was the arduino based breakout board, and i honestly do not have the time or clue how to wire that up to a serial connector, so im going to order an ftdi based connector this one mainly because its close to where i live. http://www.ebay.com/itm/STARTECH-COM-ICUSB2321F-6FT-1PORT-FTDI-USB-TO-SERIAL-/251360269998?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a863d56ae

i will test it in vm and let you know if i can get security access.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts