1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
here's a hint:

okay another hint...

last hint...

for those of you that are paying attention... there is something wrong with the last pic (besides the dirty car)... but it has been fixed and everything is back together. I'll post up some more when I have a clean car.

If anyone is interested I can post up a walk through... i did take photos.

ps. thanks ambisaab for the torque specs!!!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Did you not lower the back yet?

I know when we were fitting the Eibach's on my car we had to quit for the day after we fit the front's because we would have to unbolt the entire rear suspension to get the rear springs on. Had to wait like a day or two before we got it done..man was that weird driving.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
crash808 said:
here's a hint:
From your username, and this picture, I thought you were going to say you had reversed over your nice new springs:cry:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, that photo was taken before I lowered the back. I did get it all done, thought it took me longer and I didn't get a chance to take a pic of the rear lowered because my brother in-law stopped by to "watch" :roll: So, that wasted about an hour of my time...

Frosty288 said:
Did you not lower the back yet?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know thats a good question, when I was looking at them the coils looked to be about the same thickness, for some reason I thought they would look a bit beefier. But I suppose the "54SiCr6 spring steel" H&R uses must be a higher quality spec than stock. I looked on the box and paperwork but could not find a spring rate.

Curlymurt said:
Those springs look thinner than stock... true?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Still looks a bit high, the H&R's are a 45mm drop correct? If so you look like you've got a pretty good set in period to wait for. That thing is going to get a lot lower...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:lol: nope, luckily i didn't do that... i earned my nickname many, many years ago when I was young & dumb, pulled a motorcycle wheelie downtown, a car pulled out in front of me and stopped... you can guess at the outcome... i have to, because i don't remember anything else

stevedol said:
From your username, and this picture, I thought you were going to say you had reversed over your nice new springs:cry:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope... I got the 35mm drop (1.4" front, 1.3" rear)... didn't want to go too low. actually when I was looking, i didn't see that 45mm H&R's anywhere. They probably still do need to settle a bit though.

Frosty288 said:
Still looks a bit high, the H&R's are a 45mm drop correct? If so you look like you've got a pretty good set in period to wait for. That thing is going to get a lot lower...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
crash808 said:
ps. thanks ambisaab for the torque specs!!!
Glad to have been of help ! The car looks a lot better with that ride height. What do you think of it on the road... how does it handle the bumps and bends ( jeremy clarkson would have us believe you have no bends in the US) but I'm sure you do..... don't you ??

And just for fun.... my other project......

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
So, far I think it rides great, a bit more firm, but not harsh or bouncy. Corners flatter... actually now that i live in houston, the curves are mostly freeway on-ramps. Although there are some curvy two lane farm roads north of where I live, but not like the Cascade Mtn's around Seattle, where I grew up.

Also some other posts about squeaks and clunks made me a bit paranoid that i drove home from work with the radio off last night. 29 miles of Houston jointed freeway slabs and rough pavement... the saab handled it all beautifully, with only road rumble and the occasional interior squeaks (knock on wood).

Anyway, sweet RR! I've seen some of the fastbikes videos so I know you have curves where you live!

Ambisaab said:
What do you think of it on the road... how does it handle the bumps and bends ( jeremy clarkson would have us believe you have no bends in the US) but I'm sure you do..... don't you ??

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually, no... I re-used everything. Gave them a good inspection and they seemed to be in good shape, smooth turning, no "grittyness" (does that make sense?). Anyway, I figured I might be changing the struts & shocks out later..

got.boost? said:
When you installed new springs/struts did you also replace the strut bearings aka thrust bearing, support bearing??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts