SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Viggen clutch already in along with 630's, 3 bar map sensor, 3" downpipe, uprated intercooler, manifold spacer and HRC uprated fuel pump. No shiney stuff here folks just the basics. Just in the process of getting a few things together like.......

An old frying pan fat splash screen (try saying that after 5 pints of homebrew)

It makes for an excellent turbo screen gaurd. Can't be bothered with another complicated intake run.

Got to stick a standard t25 manifold on like below as the butchered t3 one I'm currently running won't fit.

Doesn't look much but I ground out a nasty lip that's very prevalent towards the bolt holes wo its all ported smooth.

Lines are to made up from old standard lines and high temp/high pressure hose.

Downpipe flange came with one of my old turbos so we will just weld it onto the existing downpipe and jobs a good un.

That's about it for now. Install is pencilled in for 4th of August which is my next free weekend due to me being a high end international gigalo.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Air entering the turbo goes very fast. The impeller blades definatley start pushing high subsonic numbers when spooled up. All this means even very small dirt particles like small sand grains and road debris that can easily pass through the chip fat mesh will be impacting the soft alloy impeller blades at insane closing speeds and consequently very high energy . The low down intake mount doesn't help either - probably acts like some kind of road sweeper suction pump:eek: - some kind of intake with a proper air filter is a good idea me thinks;)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aww come on guys. The mesh is really quite a fine weave. There are a few guys on here running similar set ups. The intake is a right pain in the **** and took as long as installing the turbo last time.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Looks good Dr,

What about your patented "Tea towel" air filter. (sorry bruv,I had to rib ya') :lol:

This BFT (big phuckin turbo) should go like crazy.:p

If your a gigolo, can I book you in for a back rub?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The mesh is staying!!!! (For now). The install is being done as cheap as possible. Not too worried about the turbo blowing up as I know a cuddly Welsh lad who has a ready supply of these I can get my hands on for next to nowt (he's not too bright, chases buses, kids throw stones at him etc :) )

Greg, you pay for the flights and ill rub anything you like Bruv ;). I think the tea towel might have got sucked in so it wasn't a viable option (and my nana noticed it was missing so I had to put it back).

·
Registered
719 Posts
Re

Couldnt you use some cheap filter paper and do the same thing you did with the screen.Just as a back up to the screen,I think thats what Im going to bdo with my 3076 ,it is a pain to plumb an intake!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Aww come on guys. The mesh is really quite a fine weave. There are a few guys on here running similar set ups. The intake is a right pain in the **** and took as long as installing the turbo last time.
Bet it's very restrictive though ( although not as bad as a wet tea towel:cheesy:) due to the surface area of the filter being the same as the intake - probably around 30% reduction in intake area but you would need to measure the wire diameter and spacing to be exact - it could be more:eek:. What about those mushroom foam filters or get hold of some foam sheet and construct one to a shape that can fit in the space - anything to get a larger surface area.

·
Registered
954 Posts
The mesh is staying!!!! (For now). The install is being done as cheap as possible. Not too worried about the turbo blowing up as I know a cuddly Welsh lad who has a ready supply of these I can get my hands on for next to nowt (he's not too bright, chases buses, kids throw stones at him etc :) )
:lol: ....your not having my other 76...it's my last one!!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Looking at that Mart I think my tubular will put this turbo in the same location, might need a thinner fan though...fancy a little job after the summer ;ol;
No need for a thinner fan. That's the same turbo as you have waiting to go in.

I'll sort you out.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Make some space by cutting out a chunk from the AC bracket......

In she go's.......

Already done it mate ;ol;

Mate its down to cost and lazyness. itd be 20 quid for a silicon bend, 20 for the alloy bend, 20 for a cheap filter. Plenty of fellas running these mesh jobs so ill give it a crack. If it wont havit it i might try a mushroom jobby

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Your mani looks good.

Did you put it on dry or wet?

If you put it on wet, when it drys it shrinks on to make a tight fit.
Either way it looks like you done a pretty good job of it.

Your itchiness could also be caused by your your job as an international gigolo :p.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Put it on dry mate, didn't know about the trick of putting it on wet :(
I've never had an itch from my job as I'm always shaved greased and ready for action :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, ok....I gave in to peer pressure and I'm gonna try and hook my existing filter up to the new turbo using a 4" to 3" stubby reducer.

The mesh is still on standby....:)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts