SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the tranny out in about 2.5 hours since its the second time I have pulled it in the last two years. I stripped all the teeth off 4th gear on a light 18psi pull and the rpm went through the roof. I got it home and got it off.

There is metal pieces everywhere and there is a hole in the inner bell housing and it looks like some small debris is in the clutch and pressure plate. I will have to pull them and inspect and clean it all up. New tranny should come Monday.

Couple of pics,

John

·
Registered
386 Posts
did win the lottery? no seriously......did you? god I envy the money you can put into your car. :cheesy:. but on a real serious note, will you adopt me? :lol:

John Z Williams said:
Got the tranny out in about 2.5 hours since its the second time I have pulled it in the last two years. I stripped all the teeth off 4th gear on a light 18psi pull and the rpm went through the roof. I got it home and got it off.

There is metal pieces everywhere and there is a hole in the inner bell housing and it looks like some small debris is in the clutch and pressure plate. I will have to pull them and inspect and clean it all up. New tranny should come Monday.

Couple of pics,

John

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
too bad there isnt a tougher gearbox for us

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
lowbudgethero said:
too bad there isnt a tougher gearbox for us
You can always put the FM55507 (9-3 box MY01-->) gearbox there instead of the NG900's FM55501. It is allot stronger. The Viggen gearbox, originally the FM55401 wont with since the driveshafts are with larger diameter.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I think next time I will go with a 9-3 gear box, I did not realize they were stronger or I would have sourced one of them. I guess you only need the rear motor mount bracket to make it work.

That box did live more than a year and I beat on it very hard having fun trying to spin the tires in third gear. I am pretty sure I broke it last summer while drag racing, I was doing a burn-out to heat the tires and I got wheel hop and when it grabbed one of those times, I heard something give and it never felt the same after that. About 6 months later it totally gave out.

I think if I had not drag raced it with all the burn-outs, it would still be alive today.

Since I found a used 1996 tranny shipped to my door for 450.00 with a 90 day warranty, I will see how long this one will last, but next time it will be a 9-5 internal rebuild or a 93 tranny.

I am kind of bummed to find out the inner housing gave way because I think there is a lot of metal flakes all in the flywheel/clutch area and some tranny fluid. I will have to pull it all apart and clean it all up.

John

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Saabrunner05 said:
did win the lottery? no seriously......did you? god I envy the money you can put into your car. :cheesy:. but on a real serious note, will you adopt me? :lol:
450.00 is about the same money I had to spend on the turbo rebuild, so that is not really that much considering everything else. A rebuilt tranny is 1750.00, now that would be a pricey investment. 4k for a 6 speed from Maptun.

Maptun is working at the local saab shop east of sweden in Broomfield Colorado and is about 30 minutes from me. They will have a new roto-test dyno soon and stock many of the speacilty parts that I crave. I just hope they make their prices competitive.

John

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
He took an above-average hammer, fed it and put it behind a donkey wheel for a year. He then took that hammer and smashed his gearbox to pieces.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, that is a first for me, it took all the teeth off 4th gear in a light 18psi pull and the rpms just went through the roof like the clutch broke or it poped out of gear... There was no 4th gear to find at all while driving. I still had 3rd and 5th and the other gears... Got it home with all kinds of noises going on...

John

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Too bad there aren't any kits to retro a nice getrag 6 speed into our cars... that would be sweet for an upgrade

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hunt.dogshome said:
He took an above-average hammer, fed it and put it behind a donkey wheel for a year. He then took that hammer and smashed his gearbox to pieces.
I think the damage was done while drag racing, but I can say the power up top with the larger .86ar housing seems very nice, it pulls very strong and very consistant. I also re-made my dp with the nice atp 5 bolt flange that is much less restrictive and I also got the inlet elbow made out of rubber that does not colapse under high boost... I am still at 10psi of boost by 3k.

John

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
John Z Williams said:
Maptun does have a 6 speed for our cars now... Its just the money for em...

John
Man that sounds really sweet, when I do my manual conversion I might have to go with that. How much are they? :eek:

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Mis-quoting the Genie in Disney's Aladin: "Godlike powers and iddy biddy living space".

Barbarian motor and tired gearbox ;oops:

Might be time to flash the cash for a barbarian gearbox.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
hunt.dogshome said:
Mis-quoting the Genie in Disney's Aladin: "Godlike powers and iddy biddy living space".

Barbarian motor and tired gearbox ;oops:

Might be time to flash the cash for a barbarian gearbox.
well said, and I think you maintained the original context of the quote quite nicely. ;)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Vigge said:
You can always put the FM55507 (9-3 box MY01-->) gearbox there instead of the NG900's FM55501. It is allot stronger. The Viggen gearbox, originally the FM55401 wont with since the driveshafts are with larger diameter.
What exactly makes this box so much stronger Vigge? Could you elaborate?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
A12 said:
What exactly makes this box so much stronger Vigge? Could you elaborate?
For instance the cluch shaft 3/4 hub lock ring. In newer box the force is spread equally on the lock ring with the help of a washer, but in the older box the bores lean directly against it and when the lock ring eventually brakes the hub will fail, among with the synchronizers, needle bearing and fourth gear wheel.

Also The synchronizers among with some other parts are of different type.

The normal 600Nm upgrade includes factory new internals, a LSD and a solid bearing pre-tension bushing (the orig is a contraction type).

Also the Pre MY94 boxes have a weaker differential.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts