Optical 1 - Most TX
Optical 2 - Most RX

Pin 4 - Mic +
Pin 5 - Mic -
Pin 10 BATT
Pin 20 Ground

One wire Antenna Cable (blue)
Delco P/N 12235979

The harness looks the same as the Onstar box, but Onstar box has additional Pins that are active:
Pin 8 - Airbag - explainable - the box dials the operator if airbag is deployed
Pin 9 - Keypad - I think this is the 3 button keypad (not the 1-10 keypad).

Also Onstar box has a second antenna wire labeled Phone primary.

So based on the above and the Factory service manual, that states that Onstar communication unit is identical to GSM one except for additional features - I think it should be fairly easy to replace one with the other.

I am sure it will require Tech2 ICM add/remove procedure to recognise all components.
Now about the deal-braker. US GSM works on 1900mhz and 850mhz in rural areas. EU is on 900 and 1800. Onstar Antenna is 1900mhz CDMA and 1575mhz for GPS. Although the existing Onstar antenna might work (no big deal to get a new one) - the phone itself - if it is indeed only 900/1800 will not.

We need to confirm what frequency does EU GSM box works on. If it does support 1900, we are in business!!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
[Can somebody FAQ it, so if another SAABer has such a brilliant idea - they will get immidiate disappointment?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
It seems a company industrious enough could take a 900/1800 box, figure out what makes it tick, and switch it to 850/1900 for U.S. **** OnStar - it's the exclusive deal they have with GM that screws those of us that find it to be a worthless pile o' ****. GSM would so rock in the U.S. on Cingular or T-Mobile, particularly with a roof-mounted antenna.

OnStar's analog device is about as useful and reliable for mobile communication as a pair of plastic cups attached by a string, but just more expensive to use.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
johnc_22 said:
It seems a company industrious enough could take a 900/1800 box, figure out what makes it tick, and switch it to 850/1900 for U.S. **** OnStar - it's the exclusive deal they have with GM that screws those of us that find it to be a worthless pile o' ****. GSM would so rock in the U.S. on Cingular or T-Mobile, particularly with a roof-mounted antenna.

OnStar's analog device is about as useful and reliable for mobile communication as a pair of plastic cups attached by a string, but just more expensive to use.
How about we all start contacting SAAb via their website asking about onstar didgital upgrade. I bet if we flood them with requests maybe they will pay attention.
I just wrote an email to Delphi (maker of these boxes) to see if they have any information...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts