SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the GS shifter reinforcement kit on a 4 cyl? I was watching the video of the install on the GS website, and it looks like the shift cable should pop off real easily, but I was prying on mine hard and it didn't seem to want to budge. Does anyone have any tips or experience?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Usually shift cables need to be aligned at 12 o'clock to pop off....even a little off and they wont budge.

Sean

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What exactly does twelve o'clock mean? Does that correspond to a certain gear position, or do I just have to twist the cable by hand so that it is pointing straight back at the driver's seat before I pull the connection off?

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
12 o'clock usually denotes that the top is at the top, i.e. pointing straight up at the sky. Select gears until your linkage is in the same position it is in in the GS video.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This video is complitely useless, it's v6 and most of us don't have this tool.
I don't know about the 12 o'clock theory but practically you just have to force it. Use the small pliers and when you do it, try to be as close as possible (i finally managed to remove it while standing beside the car).

·
Registered
344 Posts
i kept my shifter in neutral, while I did have to pry a little bit, it did not require overly excessive force.

I did bang my knuckles around quite a bit down there, be patient and as soon as you get frustrated take a break. It is doable.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Sorry, what I meant by that was to have the cable end perfectly level...I think the 4 cyclinder ones are vertical not horizontal, hence aim towards the sky, aka 12 o'clock. It's a snap on connector and this is the way they are meant to pop on and off when you want, but stay locked on the rest of the time....

Sean

·
Registered
954 Posts
Yeah until the top piece falls off a few months after you install it. I just ordered a new one
Sorry, what I meant by that was to have the cable end perfectly level...I think the 4 cyclinder ones are vertical not horizontal, hence aim towards the sky, aka 12 o'clock. It's a snap on connector and this is the way they are meant to pop on and off when you want, but stay locked on the rest of the time....

Sean[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the posts! Super helpful! I'm going to try the install tonight or tomorrow and let everyone know how it goes!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts