SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 40 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Dear Diary :lol:

spent the day scrabling around on the cold driveway, in the fog, putting new ball joints, shock, and lower wishbone on Saabarella (previously stripped the thread on the shock stude on the wishbone, so swapping for spare), only to strip the thread on the new one... SH!T :cry:

now i need another one..... there's a lovely pot of tea for anyone willing to donate their spare lower offside ;)

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
update time.......
Saabarella is flying again, with 4 new ball joints, new wishbones, and 4 shocks

need to get a timing gun and set the timing right as i am getting knock all over the place (although Tesco had run out of proper petrol, so may be that :roll: )

inspired now to get things back up and sorted
she's just done a 150 mile blast down the M6 to my nephews haouse in worcester (actualy, jonah is siting on my lap right now, asking lots of questions about Smilie faces and what sarcastic means......:p )

he is also going to help me today, with some rubing down of the beetle, and washing Sabarella - he's very good at wheel cleaning - altho, while showing me what Steven Gerad does when taking a penalty, he fel over and has a graze on his elbow :cry:

right, brew time, lets have a lovely cup of tea
G

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
definately Si - just not got round to it yet

gonna do a bulk order of stainless bends for downpipe (found a good deal on a second hand JT system, so will just add the bends to take DP up to turbo exit) and intercooler pipework

unfortunately, priority at the moment is paying bills and saving for carpet, chrome, paint and interior for the Veedub, which will no doubt run up to about a £Grand :eek:

G

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
I thought that G's VW was a diesel car? or do you have a proper Veedub too?

Campervan crew representing :) (though mine aint a silly little VW :p ;) )

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
diesel shmeisel.... :evil: ;)
its a 1961 (thats little window, post oval) 1200 Delux, in Gulf (or Ocean) Blue, and will, when I finally finish it, be a full on Resto Cal (only minus the stupidly powerful engine they all seem to have - big power requires fat rear tires, which just aint me).... veedubs to me are Low 'n' Slow

so far ive done:

new heater chanels
new door post repairs
new left quarter panel (all of it)
new front valence and spare wheel bucket
new right side quarter repair (just lower, not complete)
new rear quarter repairs
new heater chanel end plates
new rear bumper hangers
new rear valence
repairs to windscreen lower corners

doors/ bonnet and engine lid are 100% rot free - as are floorpans :cool:

right now, whole body is etched primed, filler primed, and 99% ready for top coat

now is when it gets expensive.... top coat, chrome, carpet, seat covers, and all thos NOS EMPI bits ain't cheap

no pics at home other than links off my signiature.... this is before i shot blasted the bottom 8 inches

G

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
very nice G... mine's a '72 sedan, not a "collectible" year but it's of great sentimental value. It sat for 10 years til I unearthed it in Dec '05 for a resto-custom... it's going to be a little autocross wonder.

-lowered beam/drop spindles
-staggered porsche alloys (4.5 fronts, 5.5 rears)
-no rear seat
-racing front seats
-roll cage
-no carpet or headliner (rhino-liner)
-weber progressive + stock c900 turbocharger :cool:
-alternator
-shaved (no bumpers, trim, or antenna)
-etc etc etc

Right now it's pretty much ready for paint. Lots of little rust repair has been done. Going with Tornado Red with the Ghostbusters logo on the doors.

/bug

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
coz mines a '61, its got king and link pins, not spindles and ball joints, so dropping it the weeds is easier :cool:
i wont bother with a narrowed beam unless i find that i'm wanting it even lower, and the tires are damaging the ORIGINAL wings ive still got for the front :cool:

one day

(but in L390 blue)

G

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
You know I called my girl friend/wife a Beetle and she got the hump:roll:

She said I basically called her a fat, short, ugly car:eek:

I said "NOOOOOO"

Its a true classic with a unique sound, style and lots of character, its the most famous rebuilt car in the world people love them and they look stunning:lol:

Thats was a close call, I almost got my a55 handed to me on a stick:cheesy:

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Tomarse said:
Campervan crew representing :) (though mine aint a silly little VW :p ;) )
there is nothing silly about our Trix ;)

G

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
ShadowWorks said:
Thats was a close call, I almost got my a55 handed to me on a stick:cheesy:

Nice save, sha. You know... the later beetles/super beetles are referred to as "fat chicks" :eek: :cheesy: :eek:

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Matthew said:
I have to say, I do really like the Camper vans. Are good quality new body panels still available?
Even rotten split-screen Campers go for silly money :eek:
sure are... you can basically buy any panel, for any variant, from any year... all really easily... even orginal NOS parts are available if you know the right people (i picked up an NOS quarter panel for the beetle at a show/swap meet for £70... should have been more like £300 ;) )

the trouble with the Splitty market, is that there are so many sub markets... for example, an unrestored minibus with original fittings and low mileage will often be worth less than an original, unrestored yet non original painted camper... and dont even begin to try and work out where a fully restored yet unwelded, german import Samba (the one with all the extra windows) fits or what they are worth :eek: ... yet despite this, they are a minibus not a camper, so should be cheaper!

Trix is an original, german imported Westie that was brought over here 7 years ago and had a respray around 10 years ago... but she has all the original fixtures, interior, bed, pop-top and seats... and has never been welded!!! :cool:

G

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
i just took delivery of a 2nd hand, but good condition, full JT system from the elbow back... for £100 including postage :cool:

will fit it as is, but will ultimately sort the battery out and weld in a nice, smooth set of bends from the turbo outlet and join to the JT about half way down the DP - will be realdy for Le Mans 07 :p

G

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
im just worried about the damage i will do to the mersey tunnels every morning :roll: :lol:

G

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
mini update....

was away with work last week, and i received a fone call from my flat mate asking where my parts car was....? turns out its been nicked off the drive :evil:

it had no engine, no front end, all ball joints etc undone (just wieght of car holding them in... someone will have fun when they try to lift it ;) )

i reckon a scrappy has been round while nobody was in and towed it away.. there are marks on the drive wher the exhaust dragged (complete, fairly new system gone too... and a spare CAT)

the other ball ache is that it still had the speedo with Cruise bits on, and having the cluster start shorting out and smoking on me while I was away, I thought "thats ok, i'll have the cruise one anyway"... gutted ;oops:

anyway.... back to Saabarella.... i still had another spare cluster, so removed the dash, split the clusters so the car still has original speedo and mileage... but i know have a stock APC guage as well as the one i fitted in the radio slot

i now know how to take the dash apart.... :cool:

G

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
its quite easy really.....

im not sure if you need to remove the knee panel or not, but mine was out anyway as i was sorting out the radio loom (swapped radio with 3xguage cluster... gauges in the centre console are rubbish, your knee blocks your view :roll: ) ... so had to extend the wiring to get power and speakers to the radio... Note... if you have to do this, you will probably have to channel out a slot in the kick panel, as the loom bends the kick panel and makes the centre console near impossible to refit

anyway, undo the 4 varying length screws in the dash (they are marked 1,2,3,4, with 1 being next to drivers door, 4 is nearest glove box - opposite way round on LHD maybe?)

the dash will now be free, but you must disconnect everything first... buttons are quite easy, they just pop off the connectors from behind (this is were taking out the kick panel is useful)..... there are quite a few things to disconnect electrically, but if you label it all up, its relatively straight forward (mirror controls, headlight switch, headlight level adjuster etc)

if you have the radio out already (or top slot is empty anyway), you can just about see in, to get access behind the heater controls.

the heater rod slides off the knob, there is a large metal clip/ring thing on the vacuum control, this needs undoing and the connecter will come away

I left the rest of the connectors for dash lights and fan control connected, as there was enough spare wire to withdraw the dash, and have it secured to one side

You will see the 4 screws that hold the cluster in place… undo these and the cluster will be free….. now just unclip the connectors on its rear, the speedo cable etc, and it can be removed (it needs a joggle to get it through the dash, but it does fit)

As for swapping the gauges…. There are 8 screws around the outside on the rear… undo these and rev counter and LPT gauge (temp and fuel, but no APC) can be removed, but be careful, as the blue circuit board is clipped to the cluster body….. the speedo will be left on its own once the 2 other gauges are removed….. swap in the speedo with the correct mileage to the new pod that you have also split in the same way, and give it all a good clean

Refitting is a reversal of above, but o found it tricky to get the vents all lined up. Its easier to get the middle ones in first, then the ones by the steering wheel, but others may find it different.

Lining up the heater rod has been covered many times on the past, but it is a little tricky…. There are wires in the way that restrict your view, but feel and touch are sufficient!

I think this is worthy of a sticky in the Workshop!!;)

G

21 - 40 of 242 Posts