21 - 40 of 667 Posts

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Rheboi said:
Brake? Or Brace? :cheesy:

If you're doing a group brake kit I might be interested
Brace - its was a typo in Denmasters original.

PFS have introduced three new 308mm brake upgrade kits at exceptional prices!

www.partsforsaabs.com

·
Registered
298 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Brace - its was a typo in Denmasters original.

PFS have introduced three new 308mm brake upgrade kits at exceptional prices!

www.partsforsaabs.com
Hmmm thanks - was just winding you up re spelling... :lol:

As for brakes those 308mm black diamonds are looking very tempting - although looks like I have to upgrade wheels to 17"s too - definately tempting.....

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
298 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Have you sen this thread?

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78432

Although its the only time I have seen a negative write up about them :confused:
Ahh so you've had the black diamonds yourself? What was your impression on the improvement? My rotors are at their minimum width and I'm told they won't skim them again so they need to be replaced so I'm in the market for brakes and why not upgrade - although the more I think about it the less I want to go to 17" wheels.... I'll keep an eye out for some upgrades that don't need bigger wheels.....

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
298 Posts
Awesome! That looks like me although I think my calipers will be black... with white SAAB stickers on them....

·
Registered
501 Posts
1) definitely no drilling
2) no ride height change on my car, both with 17s and 18s

pics will come this saturday. sorry for holding everyone up with this:)

--lg

·
Registered
501 Posts
Rheboi said:
How much for one to NZ? Any chance I could get you to bundle in some hub braces too?
saabcentral policy as far as I understand doesn't allow the group buy of any items that are already provided by any site sponsors.

As PFS already sells the hub braces, providing alternative hub braces would be a violation of the policy, and so I don't think we should discuss this in this group-buy post.

Similarly, the bigger 325mm brakes that I am using also can't be offered as a group buy on here, as PFS sell a version of those too. ;)

Of course, you can shoot me a pm and we can discuss all these things without infringing any rules from there :)

Chris9-5, hope I've got it right. :D
--lg

·
Registered
298 Posts
denmaster said:
saabcentral policy as far as I understand doesn't allow the group buy of any items that are already provided by any site sponsors.

As PFS already sells the hub braces, providing alternative hub braces would be a violation of the policy, and so I don't think we should discuss this in this group-buy post.

Similarly, the bigger 325mm brakes that I am using also can't be offered as a group buy on here, as PFS sell a version of those too. ;)

Of course, you can shoot me a pm and we can discuss all these things without infringing any rules from there :)

Chris9-5, hope I've got it right. :D
--lg
Sorry - didn't want to get somebody in trouble - I'll be good... honest ;oops: PM sent...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Rheboi said:
Sorry - didn't want to get somebody in trouble - I'll be good... honest ;oops: PM sent...
no worries at all - just wanted to make sure no one broke any rules (been there, learnt my lesson)

--lg
p.s. PM replied :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Folks, the long awaited photos as promised!

First, the bar itself in its powercoated state, unmounted from the car:

Next, a photo of the bar as fitted to the car, minus the wheel arch splashguard.

Another as fitted to the car on ground level, with the wheel arch splash guard remounted. Plenty of space for a big downpipe, as thats a mod I have planned.

You'll be able to see that no additional holes are drilled, the brace just bolts on to front of the arms (where I suspect the flex occurs), and back to the chassis.

The bar itself is made from 1.6mm wall thickness cold drawn steel.

--lg

·
Registered
501 Posts
This is where it bolts to the front arms (bolt is just threaded in, has not been tightened) :

This one shows how it attached to the chassis:

More photos here:
http://oliveoyl.elji.org/gallery/view.php?gid=48&page=0

Hope it was worth the wait :) Photo session this morning took ~2 hours by the time I got in on the hoist, etc etc.

--lg

·
Registered
334 Posts
That looks really good and seems well made although the white color sticks out like a sore thumb.:cheesy: What is the clearance between the cat and the bar though? It looks awefully close to the cat but maybe because of the angles from where pictures were taken. Can you give the review of the brace? Thanks.

·
Registered
501 Posts
1) Construction + colour:
The welding is pretty good, a jig was made so that there would be no warpage during the welding. The powdercoating was done in white as that was what the powdercoater was doing a run of when I sent my bar in. It could theoreticlaly come in any colour that the powdercoater was keen on, but waiting till he was doing a big enough run in the colour that you want might take a little bit more time. What would you prefer? Black? Silver? Red? :D I can ask the dude, and we can see if our group buy matches his schedule for the right colours.

2) Clearance between brace and the cat:
I use a Hirsch race cat for my car... There is around an inch between the race cat and the lower suspension brace.

3) Review of the brace:
I think that suspension mods are always relative and personal to the driver of the car...

To me it has done two amazing things:
1) quick left right changes are much better. It turns in and reacts much better, particularly when the car is already leaning one way, and you turn back in the other direction. Makes the car feel more surefooted, particularly when driving "sportily" which Chris9-5 and afm have affirmed the car compells us to :D
2) On bumps which affect one wheel before the other, e.g. turning into ramps at car parks, or roads with single sided undulations, where one wheel hits the ramp/dip first, you will notice the car is tighter and still responsive to steering input changes after one wheel has hit the ramp and undulation.

I took an '06 for a test drive recently, and what I liked about it most was that the steering was quicker. However, for "solidity", mine felt subjectively "tighter", and its got much more mileage on it... :cool:

To put it abstractly, its sort of the difference I get when strapped in via a normal three point safety felt, versus the four point seat harness of the track car - changes in direction just feel more direct, so you can make those little adjustments better, as the *** gyrometer is more in tune.

--lg

21 - 40 of 667 Posts