SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as im sure most of us that have Aux enabled, also have "hiss" enabled. this IS the answer. sure you could make your own GLI, but whatever you make, probably wouldnt give you a whopping 1.3 dB gain! yeah, thats right, were talkin a HUGE jump here! lol seriously tho, this has got to be the easiest answer/fix for the grounding issue. when i recieved it, i turned to my Aux port, with nothing playing, blasted the volume to get the most hiss possible, plugged this inline, and nothing. dead silence... the way it should be. probably the best 25 bucks ive spent on this car. this weekend ill do a write up on the MP3 player im using too..

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LxEG1myoeM4/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=181150&I=127SNI135&search=loop

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
Radio Shack sells one for only $15 that works great, too. I just installed it in my home stereo to get rid of a ground loop caused by my computer running through the stereo, but it should work just as well in cars.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the one at radio shack is for RCA style plugs. not 3.5 mm jacks, which is what our Aux ports are. im sure it works great for the house..

·
Registered
138 Posts
noise from cigarette lighter Charger

I get a hiss from my ipod when using a cigarette lighter charger. I have the two 10k resistors installed on
the aux input line, and while this helped, the hiss was not eliminated. Would this device help?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I have the one from radio shack & it works great. I got a RCA->3.5 converter & it works prefectly for my XM box. The whine it will specifically cure is the kind that goes up & down with the engine RPMs.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
swede, i had the same problem as you, and yes, this took care of it.

Vis, the only problem w/ RCA-to-3.5mm is with every splice/adapter/whatever, you lose that much more signal. while it may or may not be enough to make a big difference, this stereo is "weak" enough to start with, that i couldnt justify making it weaker just to save 5 bucks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The SNI-1/3.5 sound like what I need too! Anyone know of a UK supplier of it? Or a US place that will ship to the UK? Can't seem to find any... even eBay only has the RCA version. :cry:

·
Registered
174 Posts
The outputs on my XM commander are RCA, so the Radio Shack one was perfect. The output from the RS GLI is the 3.5mm jack, so this was an ideal fit.

In the rare times that I'm using a media player (preferring XM this month) I don't get any noticable whine. Maybe I'm lucky...

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lucky you are!

vector-tom, does the link i posted not ship to the UK? i didnt check it myself, but i would expect them to.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Vector Tom, and other UK owners,

I note that this company doesn't appear to ship overseas (other than for American Forces).

I'm going to New York at the end of the month, I could have them ship a few to our crew hotel and pass them on to people at whatever they cost me.

Let me know if you're interested.

ATB,

Phil

·
Registered
342 Posts
OK,

I'll email them and check that they can accept a UK credit card by phone. Their web-site only accepts US cards. :(

I go to NYC on the 25th and am back on the 27th; mind you, I'm going to Hong Kong and Singapore before then, so I'll keep my eyes peeled whilst I'm there as well. (Won't have too much spare time in Hong Kong though, as it's the Dragon Boat Festival and lots of shops etc. close down for the festivities - and I'll be out taking photos!)

ATB,

Phil

·
Registered
41 Posts
Vector-Tom said:
I'd be interested certainly! There's bound to be some more UK people who would like one too round here...
I am also interested. I am also surprised that we cannot get such a thing in the UK.

·
Registered
159 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
M4Gunner said:
swede, i had the same problem as you, and yes, this took care of it.

Vis, the only problem w/ RCA-to-3.5mm is with every splice/adapter/whatever, you lose that much more signal. while it may or may not be enough to make a big difference, this stereo is "weak" enough to start with, that i couldnt justify making it weaker just to save 5 bucks.
Come on! The difference is inperceivable at best. Unless you have that sensitive stereo equipment in your car, it really doesn't make a difference.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Imola,

Yep, I'm familiar with JR. Although the same thing can be bought here in the UK. It's the 3.5mm jacks that interest me, as it'd provide a much neater fit - I have enough wires floating around in the armrest as it is!

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JNGold said:
Come on! The difference is inperceivable at best. Unless you have that sensitive stereo equipment in your car, it really doesn't make a difference.
what im saying is that this stereo sucks to start with, why bother making it worse. the Aux port gives about 70% of the volume that the CD player gives. and every "link" in the chain weakens the signal. this is a fact.

·
Registered
176 Posts
MG,

This is exactly like the old cable debate where people spend 150 dollars for a 0.5 meter interconnect thinking that it will make a difference in the sound -- it doesn't. No way 0.5 meters of wire can make a difference that can be heard.

While I can see an argument for reducing the clutter, there is absolutely no way you could tell the difference in a blind test between the converted GLI and the Crutchfield one. I'll bank money on that. There is no noticable decrease in power through the port.

Also to note, you'd have an argument if you were splitting the signal as you mentioned in an earlier post, but you arent splitting anything you just are tossing a converter on the RCA ports. Given the power of the stereo and the power through the AUX jack and the distance of the signal there is no way you could hear any difference.

I have the Radioshack GLI and it sounds great. I definitely wouldn't have any AUX port at all without this great forum! :p

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Topspin14 said:
..There is no noticable decrease in power through the port.
are you saying that you get the same signal strength through Aux as you do through the CD player? cuz if you do, we must have a different setup.

and yes, with every "link" the signal DOES weaken. maybe not enough to hear, maybe it is enough. the only way you can say for sure, is to benchtest both side by side.

as far as .5 meters of wire not making a difference.. actually, depending on the quality difference between the two wires being tested, it COULD make a difference. ex. A would have to be real crappy quality, while ex.B would have to be top of the line to make it worthwhile. (middle of the line being just fine for just about any user.) but, it is a proven fact that signal (signwaves) travels better & less obstructed over a finer strand wire, as opposed to a thicker gauge. if you were to cut open a "monster cable" you would probably find a very fine strand wire. not that that justifies the price, but thats the way it is.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
M4Gunner said:
what im saying is that this stereo sucks to start with, why bother making it worse. the Aux port gives about 70% of the volume that the CD player gives. and every "link" in the chain weakens the signal. this is a fact.
I hear ya. I also am the type to use gold connectors and high-gauge monster cable for my audio. However. I gotta be honest, the Ipod connection to Aux even using the RS GLI combined with the belkin charger sounds great on even the crappy 9-3 stereo.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts