SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 95SE displays a CE and an OBDII code P0455 which states there is a "gross" evap leak.
This code is usually due to a loose or defective gas cap, but I replaced it....no difference.
Any other places anyone can suggest I look for this so-called gross leak?
Car runs ok (small stumble now and then) and have about 110k mis on it. Checked all visable vacuum lines also.
Any help would be appreciated.
I am beginning to believe Saab= Something Almost Always Broken..
:(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ive been dealing with that one for over a year now. My light comes on and i have it checked and its always the same thing. Now i leave it and after a week or so it goes back off. No running problems. Every time i change the oil i spend 20 min or so looking around for something that would cause the leak. Nothing yet. My indy just rolls his eyes when i ask him about it then says thank the EPA for that one.

My only delema is that when something really goes wrong i might ignore it now! Unless it literally stops me in my tracks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about this:

I hear ya, that's what mine does, comes on, then goes off....I am much to anal to let it go...Ill take apart the whole car till I find the issue. Like the heated seat controls and the central lock button that I thought should illuminate at night with the headlights, but didn't....was told new switches at $38.00 each was the only way to "fix" them, yeah right, being the electronic tech I am, I took the switches apart and bought new bulbs from Radio Shack for .79 and soldered them in place, green bulb cover and all.....they all light up great now.
Just like the xenon headlights I installed, everyone said wouldn't work, they are great and focus fine.
Ahhh, Saabs, only reason I have one is because it needed a timing belt and my cousin who had it didn't want to do it....so I did and now I have this "adopted" Saab in my garage. It's fun, but much more finiky and much too quirky and ill-engineered for me.....I'll sell it soon I can see.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most of the time this code indicates a faulty Evaporator purge valve. Sometimes it can be cleaned by simply running a bottle of Techron in the gas tank. If that doesn't work sometimes a little WD-40 sprayed into it will work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
??

Thanks, Where is this valve located? I don't see it on my AllData....is it on the canister itself? (the one nearest the engine or on the tank) I have already run some strong cleaner thu the fuel lines.....Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2 Posts
The valve is located near the front of the passenger wheel well coming me the canister, it is about 1.5 inches long and is black. It has two hoses going to it. Remove the bottom hose with the plastic clip and try a couple of shots of WD-40. Clear your codes by disconnecting the negative ground on the battery for a minute. I hope it helps. It worked for me and no more codes so far.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Code 455 all fixed!

Well Mr "Kevin's Saab" your advice was great! I pulled apart the evap valve and sprayed good old WD-40 in the lower section, shook it up a little and reattached the hose.....the CEL went out immediately and never came back on, code P0455 (and P0138) are history!....your a lifesaver. Thanks boss.......now if I can just figure out my stumbling at highway speeds and idle...oh well, time for another post. Thanks again!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Kevin's Saab said:
The valve is located near the front of the passenger wheel well coming me the canister, it is about 1.5 inches long and is black. It has two hoses going to it. Remove the bottom hose with the plastic clip and try a couple of shots of WD-40.

I'd like to try this out! Does anyone have any pictures of this? I've had the exact same problem for a long time, p0455 - taken to saab repair shops several times and they can't figure it out either. I'm going to try the WD40 method as well.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i have CEL on for P0455. I am trying to take the hose out and spray with WD-40 tomorrow. If I take out the hose, will it leak anything (fuel)? If someone can, please post a picture.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Could this also be the cause for a "minor evp leak?" I can't recall the code.

I was going to get a new gas cap (I did get a gas cap loose msg on the SID once), but this route sounds cheaper.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I went out and did this fix today and thought I would answer all the questions asked here.

The Evaporator Purge Valve is located inside the engine bay near the passenger side wheel well. It is mounted on a little bracket that comes off of the Mass Airflow sensor.

-First, pull the valve off its mount on the MAF

3: It makes it easier to get to the hose (1) if you undue this connector first
1: Undue the plastic clip here, pull off the hose and spray some WD-40 (or silicon lube etc.) into the valve. Shake it up a bit to make sure it gets where it needs to.

That should do it! Pull fuse 17 for 10 minutes to reset the ECU, and the CEL should not come back on.

-No fuel will come out, there is no fuel in these lines. All this valve does is release excess gasoline fumes into the engine to burn them off.

·
Registered
115 Posts
thanks, i will try this out and post back with results. this is when i get time though. for now, its thanksgiving, enjoy holidays.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Kermit said:
Thats cos the message isn't in the SID's armoury. ;)
I definitley had a SID message that read "Loose Gas Cap", or something to that effect.

It occured about a week beofre I got the CEL for the minor Evap leak.

Alos, I cleared the code and it hasn't come back in about 450 miles. I haven't tried any other fixes yet (though I do double check the cap after the gas attendant tightens it).

mcp

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
magconpres said:
I definitley had a SID message that read "Loose Gas Cap", or something to that effect.
From the owners manual..

The following messages may be displayed
FRONT LIGHT FAILURE
REAR LIGHT FAILURE
FOG LIGHT FAILURE
BRAKE LIGHT FAILURE
TEST BRAKE LIGHTS
WASHER FLUID LEVEL LOW
FILL COOLANT FLUID
REPLACE KEY BATTERY
KEY NOT ACCEPTED
SERVICE THEFT ALARM
TRANSMISSION OVERHEATING
TIME FOR SERVICE

·
Registered
273 Posts
Guys:

I might be in the wrong forum. I have a 99 93; ECU flagged a P0455 code after reminding me to refit the tank plug. The plug is not leaking. Where is an evap valve of a 93?:evil:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sold my Saab a few months ago, but on mine it was the size of a "D" battery and had 2-hoses coming out of it, a hard plastic one (be careful) and a rubber one. It was mounted on the Passenger side front corner.

I sprayed brake cleaner spary in the unit, let it air out and then shot it with a good dose of WD-40, assembled it, cleared the code and PRESTO! no more check-engine light. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts