SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all or afternoon...Driven the vert this morning for the first time in about a month and loved it but when i pulled up and turned every thing off i could here a groaning noise coming from the back of the ashtray panel. If i put my hand on the panel i could feel a very slight vibration...any ideas. I have had the heater on full blast for about 45 minutes and it seems to be coming from that area (control panel for heater). I think the car is moaning at me as i haven't driven it for a while:cheesy: If you have any ideas please share toi avoid me attacking it with a screwdriver this afternoon. cheers jt

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi zap yeah it has acc and it seems to be coming from that sensor thing near the ashtray...Is that a little fan ? i thought it was to do with the alarm. The keys were completly out and it still groaned can it be fixed or do i have to replace. cheers jt

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
A quick spray with WD40 will do the trick, but if you are up to it, whip the electric motor out and apply some silicon grease to the spindle for a more permanent solution. Not an unknown problem, so don't feel left out :D !

HTH

·
Registered
302 Posts
A shot of WD40 is a good, but temporary, fix. The reason it buzzes is there's dust and crap that gets into the tiny fan over time, and WD40 will not remove this stuff of course. Best solution if you're up to it is pull the sensor out and pick the fluff out, THEN lube the bearing pins and put it back. Note, some people put the thing back in upside down afterwards so the fit is slightly different enough that it won't sit looser and vibrate.
You get the sensor out either by pulling the kick panel next to it (in your case, driver's side) or, as I did a year or so ago, simply by pulling the ACC unit, then the switches (or switch blanks) from either side first. This gives you plenty of room to work. Then unplug the sensor unit. When cleaning, be VERY careful around the little thermistor (diode) sitting off the front of the unit, as even looking at it funny will kill it necessitating a replacement of the whole thing (40-50 pounds). Don't ask how I know :)

Good luck!
T

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
A shot of WD40 is a good, but temporary, fix. The reason it buzzes is there's dust and crap that gets into the tiny fan over time, and WD40 will not remove this stuff of course. Best solution if you're up to it is pull the sensor out and pick the fluff out, THEN lube the bearing pins and put it back
I almost said that, didn't I? ;)

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Morning guys thanx for advise i did it over the weekend and sorted it out...Quite a clever little fan...I always thought it was a sensor for the alarm. I wondered why when the alarm was set it wouldn't go off when i waved my hand in front of it:cheesy: I cleaned it with a cotton bud and lightly oiled the shaft then fitted all back together...sorted:cheesy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts