SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually, it's more about the entire Infotainment-Plus unit.

1. VERY limited voice control commands. It'd be very nice if you could use the voice to switch between screens (i.e. radio, map, destination, menu) etc. and activate on-screen buttons using voice control.....the way my Acura navigation system allows. For example, when you've got a destination programmed into the navigation and you want to see the list of turns, you have to touch the destination button and then the onscreen "turn list" button. A single voice command for this function (as well as many others) would be nice.

2. When using the navigation, there's no way to have the full map AND radio information simultaneously. Instead, when you're on the full map screen, you see a little tab at the top that shows the radio station and nothing more. I really think that a separate display for the radio would have been nice (i.e. a small monochrome thin strip LCD display where that ridiculous cupholder and OnStar buttons are located). Otherwise, in that small tab, smaller fonts and more radio info would be nice. I know you can do a split-screen, but when you're actually using the navigation only the turn-list is provided next to the radio info.

3. The onscreen buttons are located too close to the border of the screen, and needlessly so in most cases. On the radio screen, when playing a CD for example, there is ample room on the screen to move the fast forward buttons closer to the middle and make them larger.

4. Volume control: I'd like to see some sort of volume level display. Some of you don't think it's necessary, but why the hell not have it?

5. When you're using the navigation and the female navigation voice comes on, you cannot lower the radio volume without lowering the navigation voice volume!

6. No way (as far as I know) to get it to repeat navigation commands.

I'm sure I could mention others.

Overall I like the system, but it definitely needs refinement.

·
Registered
92 Posts
DrSandman said:
Actually, it's more about the entire Infotainment-Plus unit.

2. When using the navigation, there's no way to have the full map AND radio information simultaneously. Instead, when you're on the full map screen, you see a little tab at the top that shows the radio station and nothing more. I really think that a separate display for the radio would have been nice (i.e. a small monochrome thin strip LCD display where that ridiculous cupholder and OnStar buttons are located). Otherwise, in that small tab, smaller fonts and more radio info would be nice. I know you can do a split-screen, but when you're actually using the navigation only the turn-list is provided next to the radio info.
Actually, in the '07's you can accomplish this. With the map on a FULL SCREEN display, press the NAV button on the upper left side. The screen will split with audio information on the left and a reduced size map on the right. Press the NAV button again, and the full map returns. It's one of several "undocumented" features I have come across!!

Although I am a bit frustrated by the unit's slow response at times (either the processor is underpowered or there's just not enough RAM in the unit), overall I really like this unit. It sure beats the non-touch screen unit we have in our Jeep, and the screen is larger and easier to read than the one we had in our Jaguar.

(Although, I'll admit I miss the voice in the Jaguar!! It was a BBC actress who did the recordings and she had this really charming slight accent!!)

Cheers!!

Ken

·
Registered
437 Posts
hey,
you should be happy yours works.

I have been waiting 4 weeks for a new NAV unit that NEVER WORKED.
but i will disagree with one statement you made.
I could touch a radio button and get a split screen audio on 1/2 and NAV on the other.

·
Registered
562 Posts
platypus said:
hey,
you should be happy yours works.

I could touch a radio button and get a split screen audio on 1/2 and NAV on the other.
Ditto!
Try listening to "Be thankful for what you've got" by William DeVaughn, it's a cool and jazzy song that'll take your gripe away instantly.:D

DrSandman said:
I'm sure I could mention others.

Overall I like the system, but it definitely needs refinement.
Be patient till MY 2010 arrives then.
Unless off course you're willing to spend endless hours (and money) in hope of finding a way to hack/customize the system. Otherwise there's not much, if anything, you can do about it.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Re. 1) The system is not the most advanced however it should be as it changed from 06' to 07' and has "the latest GM technology".

2) One of the many reasons I got an 06' vs. 07' as we have the good old "SID" on top that lists the radio info.

4) Would be nice.

5) On the 06' you can. You have to adjust the volume when the female voice is actually speaking.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am wondering (hoping too) if some software updates in the future will increase the functionality of the unit. I too tried a bunch of time to hit the voice command button and say navigation and hope it would switch. One other comment about voice commands. It seems like it gets some right most of the time, but others never right. I was really surprised how often voice commands do not work. I wish there was some way you could train it to your voice.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
swede said:
I am wondering (hoping too) if some software updates in the future will increase the functionality of the unit. I too tried a bunch of time to hit the voice command button and say navigation and hope it would switch. One other comment about voice commands. It seems like it gets some right most of the time, but others never right. I was really surprised how often voice commands do not work. I wish there was some way you could train it to your voice.
Yeah, the car has a very difficult time understanding the word "eighty". It simply tells you that the command isn't available. This doesn't bother me though, as my Acura doesn't catch "eighty' very well either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts