SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have Been Hearing A Grind Liuke Noise Only When I Turn Left. The Faster Speed I Use The Louder It Is. But When I Turn Right Or Go Stright I Dont Hear It At All. I Think Its A Bearing Or The Cv Joint What Does Anyone Think It Is? Where Could I Get The Parts To Fix It And What Would It Cost?
I Dont Know If It Makes The Noise In Reverse But Ill Find Out And Post It On Here. Asap
Any Help Would Be Great, Thanks Chuck

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Usually, a ticking, clicking or thumping sound in a turn is a CV joint. A grinding or rumbling sound in a turn is more likely to be a wheel bearing. In a hard turn it could be the tire rubbing.

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Chuck,
I have the exact problem, almost. Except that my car makes the noise when turning to the right and it's accompanied by a clunk. I can clearly hear it coming from the front left side. Just this weekend I replaced the CV joint, strut mount, strut mount bearing, and wheel bearing and the noise is still there. I typically don't just throw parts at a problem since parts aren't cheap, but I figured it was worth a shot. I think I spent close to $300 in parts and stall rental.
My car is about to hit 170k miles so I'm sure there are other things that are worn.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mine is a clunking noise. and i know that its comming from the right side i can feel it.
edsiguen said:
Chuck,
I have the exact problem, almost. Except that my car makes the noise when turning to the right and it's accompanied by a clunk. I can clearly hear it coming from the front left side. Just this weekend I replaced the CV joint, strut mount, strut mount bearing, and wheel bearing and the noise is still there. I typically don't just throw parts at a problem since parts aren't cheap, but I figured it was worth a shot. I think I spent close to $300 in parts and stall rental.
My car is about to hit 170k miles so I'm sure there are other things that are worn.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I jacked my left front side up, started her up and ran her through every gear while turning the the steering wheel from stop to stop and couldn't replicate the noise. Mine seems to make the clunking, grinding sound when the left front suspension is loaded on a right hand turn. I can go on right hand circles at slow speed at it won't make a sound. Is this the case with your's as well? Maybe we have the same problem only on opposite side.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
edsiguen said:
I jacked my left front side up, started her up and ran her through every gear while turning the the steering wheel from stop to stop and couldn't replicate the noise. Mine seems to make the clunking, grinding sound when the left front suspension is loaded on a right hand turn. I can go on right hand circles at slow speed at it won't make a sound. Is this the case with your's as well? Maybe we have the same problem only on opposite side.
A few additional items to check...

The easiest thing for it to be (and cheapest) would be that the rotor guard plate is rubbing on the rotor when you round a corner. If its close to touching the slightest flex can make it rub. I'd check that and bend it away from the rotor. If it does it WHILE turning the wheel it could be the strut mount bearing located on top of the spring.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well it is the same problem im having, aint that strange...lol
edsiguen said:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bearing? how would that make a clanking noise?
Frank_Drebin said:
A few additional items to check...

The easiest thing for it to be (and cheapest) would be that the rotor guard plate is rubbing on the rotor when you round a corner. If its close to touching the slightest flex can make it rub. I'd check that and bend it away from the rotor. If it does it WHILE turning the wheel it could be the strut mount bearing located on top of the spring.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
GO-SAAB-GO said:
bearing? how would that make a clanking noise?
If the bearing has come apart, the top of the strut can move freely as it turns and may have side-to-side play as well as grinding when turning.

900SE

9-3

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll have to look into the rotor guard since I did notice it was a little bent. I did replace the strut mount and bearing but it didn't make a difference, at least not in my case anyway. A friend of mine was sudjested a worn spring. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
edsiguen said:
I'll have to look into the rotor guard since I did notice it was a little bent. I did replace the strut mount and bearing but it didn't make a difference, at least not in my case anyway. A friend of mine was sudjested a worn spring. Any thoughts on that?
A little bend in the dust shield is all it takes to create a screaching sound, that thin metal is prone to do when rubbed.

No - on the worn spring; but if the spring is broken , there may be a noise - depending on the break location.
And this would have been noticed when the strut was out for the new mount and bearing..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well this is something u can hear n feel only when i turn left tho y the faster i go the more u feel it n the louder it is
earthworm said:
A little bend in the dust shield is all it takes to create a screaching sound, that thin metal is prone to do when rubbed.

No - on the worn spring; but if the spring is broken , there may be a noise - depending on the break location.
And this would have been noticed when the strut was out for the new mount and bearing..

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
This is the wheel bearing test - turn hard(swerve), load that side - this will expose the grinding worn out bearing.

This works for the rear as well...These are easy to check out..

·
Registered
71 Posts
strange combo problem perhaps?

i hear grinding when i apply brake and it gets louder as i slow down. i will also hear it when i turn the steering wheel to the right (and i'm not applying the brakes); it seems to be coming from the right side.

fyi: ran my fingers over the rotors and they are not smooth at all--in fact, they feel wll grooved. could this be a brake issue along with the stuff mentioned above?:confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts