SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a persistent grinding sound within my dash that seems to be coming from just above and behind where the heated seat buttons would be on the right-hand side of the console. It sounds like plastic gears spinning that have lost their teeth. Does anyone know what this is? Can I pull a fuse to make it stop? It’s driving me crazy.
BTW. This started after I had the shifter linkage on my automatic changed. My mechanic told me that the noise would be there until the computer recognized the issue.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
So your mechanic isn't a Saab mechanic, right? It sure sounds like the temperature sensor. It's basically a small fan that draws in cabin air to monitor the temperature. Since it's a motor, the bearings dry out. Some have pulled the sensor out (it comes out from the back; can't be pulled straight out from the front), and oiled each end bearing with a drop or two of synthetic oil.

Or, maybe your mechanic is good; maybe he switched sensors when he did the cable. In any event, there are many things that stop working and never cause a code. CELs normally occur for emissions and abs braking problems. I'm sure there a few more causes of CELs; maybe someone will chime in with them... Ron

·
Registered
666 Posts
Between your heated seat buttons there is a hole covered with a few pieces of plastic that leads to your cabin temperature sensor. Put your finger over the hole when you hear the grinding. If you can feel vibrations in synch with the grinding, your sensor probably just needs to be cleaned. Sometimes, canned air sprayed in there will do it. Sometimes you'll have to take it apart.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do I access the temperature sensor from the back? Will I need to disassemble the console or can I get to it from the passenger's footwell if I take the trim off?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Troubleshoot first. See if it's actually the temp sensor. Try some canned air. Sometimes a good slap on the right side of the console can get it to stop for a moment.

You can also remove the ACC pretty easily and then it's not too hard to get to the sensor assembly.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Do a search on cabin air sensor or ACC fan. You should be able to find specific instructions.

I did this a couple months ago and it took maybe 15 minutes to fix and reassemble.

IIRC, pull the ashtray, remove three screws, reach up into the console. Again, a search on the above terms should get you the details.

JOE

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
It's not too hard to get the ACC out, just lightly pry out one of the filler plugs by the seat heaters, put finger up and push out the ACC. It took me maybe 5 minutes a few weeks ago to change a bulb in the ACC. Once the ACC is out, you can see the sensor... Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts