SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving on a slightly muddy dirt road in my 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0t when I hit a medium sized pothole and a grinding noise started up near the front left wheel of the car. When it first happened it was a intermittent and loud scraping sound (speeds around 25-30) as I continued driving, the sound started to get milder and eventually went away.

A few miles later, it came back again softly (at a low speed) and when I began driving above 25mph it went away. When turning at slow speeds it also starts up.

What could this sound be caused by? The car was bought used only a few weeks ago with 75k miles. New snow tires were installed a week ago. I might try and spray the bottom of the car and wheel wells with water and see if any dirt is under there. Other than that what could be the problem? I've looked at other similar problems on the forums but am looking for something more specific to my situation. Any help would be gladly appreciated.

·
Registered
409 Posts
There is a shroud that kind of goes around the brake rotor from behind. Once in a while a pebble or some other type of debris will fly into this, get stuck in it, rub between the shroud and make a horrific squealing noise. Eventually the pebble will get expelled and everything will go back to normal. You could wait for the debris to expel or you could remove the wheel and force out whatever is in there.

·
Registered
674 Posts
There is a shroud that kind of goes around the brake rotor from behind. Once in a while a pebble or some other type of debris will fly into this, get stuck in it, rub between the shroud and make a horrific squealing noise. Eventually the pebble will get expelled and everything will go back to normal. You could wait for the debris to expel or you could remove the wheel and force out whatever is in there.
Most likey what acidradio said. you can also get the wheel positioned so you can see the bottom of your rotor. You will be able to see the edge of the heat shield. Try and stick a screw driver in you can useally wiggle the rock out. It happened to me to many times to count.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I also had the problem with mine (314mm brakes) where the shroud would come into contact with the rotor and make the noise you describe. I was able to use the handle of a hammer to knock buck the shield and it stopped.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Make sure to check to see if your spring snapped too, that could cause additional contact and noise.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the ideas guys. I also noticed that it made the noise when making low-speed, sharp, right turns.. but just a few days ago I was driving straight (35 mph) and it bagan to grind/rub again then it made a loud grind and then it sounded like something fell out and the noise stopped. THEN a few days after that, the noise came back again mildly. As of now, there is no noise but it seems to be on and off so im worried it might come back again. Just hoping its nothing more serious than some simple brake caliper grit. I'm waiting for some warm weather so i can wash the car and the caliper and see if anything comes out. I'll also give the screwdriver method a try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts