SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i took the car (S'all about the b**ches 9-5, my friends and i came up with this acronymn during a night of drinking, don't ask) to the dealer about a month ago to check on a hissing noise after consulting here. Turns out the booster is leaking. So now i've saved up enough to have the job done.

Recently though i've noticed a grinding feeling and a pulsating coming from somewhere. The brakes grind as if the pads needed changing. After taking it to midas to check out the brakes, they told me they were fine, the lining was still real thick, I saw it myself. They also told me the rotors were one time use only, if i change the pads i gotta change the rotors too. That seemed a little farfetched to me, then again it is a SAAB, i'm still learning. They plopped on an extra tire but couldn't balance it becuase it needed special weights they didn't have, now i bet my rear tires aren't balanced and i was charged for it anyways from some other place i had new tires installed.

Anyways, i used break cleaner, and the brakes seemed "cleaner" but the grind is still there. The pulsating i can feel big time coming and going from a stop. It gets faster and slower with speed. I also noticed a screw missing from the lower front valance, maybe this is rattling in the wind, but i doubt it. So i decided to come here before getting this grinding/pulsating/annoying /concerning sound checked out. I swear, these cars are like high maintanence gals, dents in your wallet, but man, what a ride. I couldn't even top off the power steering fluid becuase no auto parts store here sells CFH 11s fluid, imagine that. Thanks for all the info guys, now i wait for the booster to come in to take him to the doctor
A.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Is the pulsating from the pedal? Or is the car kind of lurching in a pulsating manner?

·
Registered
199 Posts
If the pedal is pulsing whilst your are breaking then its the ABS working.

Could it be the ABS has to work harder because your brake booster is broken?

The usage on rotors varies, depending on how soft/hard the pads are. Generally most people get two pads wears to a rotor but that can vary on your driving, where u are driving and if you have an auto or manual.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
SectorNine50 said:
Is the pulsating from the pedal? Or is the car kind of lurching in a pulsating manner?
The pulsating is felt through the chasis, the brake pedal doesn't pulsate. It's more of that lurching sound, as if the car has a limp. One time i felt a slight pulse through the gas pedal, but i think thats from booster vacuum cuz the rpm's stayed rather high at idle and fall when the brake is pressed.
This pulsation though gets faster and slower with the cars speed so i dont think it's the booster. I'm guessing it's some sort of suspension problem, anywhere from the rubber tire to a bushing maybe.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Knifemundo said:
The pulsating is felt through the chasis, the brake pedal doesn't pulsate. It's more of that lurching sound, as if the car has a limp. One time i felt a slight pulse through the gas pedal, but i think thats from booster vacuum cuz the rpm's stayed rather high at idle and fall when the brake is pressed.
This pulsation though gets faster and slower with the cars speed so i dont think it's the booster. I'm guessing it's some sort of suspension problem, anywhere from the rubber tire to a bushing maybe.
Nah, it's not a suspension problem, it's definately an inconsistency in one or more of your rotors. I wouldn't panic yet though, most of the time it's just a spot where the friciton is just a tad more or less than the rest of the rotor, and the pad grabs it a little more. Sometimes these wear out, so give it a little time, and get your brake booster fixed.

P.S. You shouldn't feel anything in your gas pedal... it's electronic! :eek:

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Could be you have cupping on the tires. Did youjsut get them mounted up front from the rear??

Onther thing does your steering wheel pulsate in your hands whiel stopping ( not going?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, the steering wheel feels fine. It could be the front tires, they are old, the rear ones are the newer tires. The sound is more prominent when turning left. I guess i'll have the dealer check it out when i take it in once my booster comes in. I'll jack up the car tomorrow if i get a chance to see if the bearing has any play.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Knifemundo said:
No, the steering wheel feels fine. It could be the front tires, they are old, the rear ones are the newer tires. The sound is more prominent when turning left. I guess i'll have the dealer check it out when i take it in once my booster comes in. I'll jack up the car tomorrow if i get a chance to see if the bearing has any play.
Oooh that sounds like a wheel bearing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts