SaabCentral Forums banner

81 - 100 of 319 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
With no more deadening possible until I've got the front carpet out I figured I'd take a look at this fibre optic stuff. I've been dreading it but its pretty easy really ;ol;

First thing to come out is the ash tray

Then the heater control panel, and behind this is the EHU

The EHU & CD player are attached together in one big cage, you have to slide something thin (trim removal tool worked for me) then prise each side inwards and pull the unit out.

This comes out so far then you have to pull them in again to get it fully out

At the back of the EHU there's a large connecting block, pull the tab upwards then this rotates backwards and comes off

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Next is the fibre optic connecting block for the CD player

Get a thin flat head screw driver and push the tab down, gentle pull & out it comes

To separate the CD player from the EHU you have to prise these tabs apart each side then the CD player slides out

Then the EHU needs to come out to get better access to the cables so you have to remove the aerial wire. Just pull down on the tab and it comes off easy

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
The fibre optic connector is just a holder and there's another plug inside this that houses the wires

Push this small tab in and the inner housing comes out

Then your left with this, get a thin screwdriver and gently push the blue block up and out of the holder

Then gently prise these small tabs open each side of the holder and this releases each cable

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Then you have to reconnect these two wires to maintain the fibre optic loop, I tried a few different sized tubes and different lengths, if they were too far away either the system wouldn't come back on or there was a crackling sound over the speakers. So I've cut the tube a little shorter and its now fine. I tried all sorts of different pens/biro's but the best fit was from a retractable pencil!

There's not much give in these wires so I've taped these up pretty tight to stop them moving.

Battery back on and its working a treat! (Ignore the airbag warning, that's just because the interiors still in bits in the boot!)

Also the Aux in works ;ol;

So that's the fibre optic loop sorted! Easy ;ol;

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
CD player swap

Ill be reusing my old Pioneer DEH-80PRS here, luckily the cd slot is single din and it slides straight in. A few problems though, first one is it just sides all the way in and doesn't latch onto anything....maybe a small screw each side will secure it?

2nd problem is the ash tray has a lip to it which stops the face plate coming down so changing CD's will either be tight or might not even be possible :roll:

Its fine without the ash tray fitted!!! I know there's another type of ash tray wi out the lip so maybe that will be ok?

Here's the lip

Problem number 3 (they're racking up!!!)

As its not the usual audio set up with the normal ISO connectors I need to basically tap into the cars existing loom for all the head units power/earth/illumination wires.

But ignore the speaker wires as I'm using RCA's so just need these 4 wires plumbed in, black/red/yellow/orange (Blue/white is the amps remote wire so that's sorted!!)

Does anyone know/can anyone advise on where's the best place to tap in and what connectors to use please guys???

And that's as far as I've gone! Getting there slowly ;ol;

·
Registered
114 Posts
The car must be real heavy with all of that deadening in place now, no? I want to do this to my car but with minimal effort lol :p I'll definitely do what you did to the trunk; but would a few of those silver square sheets in the doors make a big difference too? I don't care for a perfectly silent ride, just want to cut back on vibrations.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
The car must be real heavy with all of that deadening in place now, no? I want to do this to my car but with minimal effort lol :p I'll definitely do what you did to the trunk; but would a few of those silver square sheets in the doors make a big difference too? I don't care for a perfectly silent ride, just want to cut back on vibrations.
Yeah it's a fair bit of weight but there's no other way around it. If you want to keep the weight down at the very minimum I'd add a few sheets to the outer door skin, add a sheet around the speaker mount and some small strips on the thin pieces of metal on the inner skin, then seal up any panel holes with ccf. That should make a bit if a difference to the doors, then just add a few sheets under the parcel shelf to cut down on vibrations.

I'll count up what's been used in mine then work out the extra weight.

For the stock system this sounds fine but I'm installing some high end kit so want to get it as best I can and deaden where ever possible, and get the MLV down to block any outside noise ;ol;

I'm not too worried about the extra weight though...it'll be stage 3 after summer so still quick enough :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
hmm.. ok. I don't plan on upgrading my sound system, it sounds decent enough for what it is. at most I'd probably throw a 8'' sub in the back eventually. I'll definitely look into the sound deadening next time some spare change comes my way though!

It must be nice driving in a car so quiet that you could hear a pin drop :p

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
:lol: this ones killing me slowly!! Takes days!!
It does make you wonder how much an audio place would charge though :eek:

More updates later :D

An audio place wouldn't do it half as good, or put in 1/10'th the effort. And they'd charge a lot too. So coudos to you, great job.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #90

Ill be cracking on with it next weekend when I've got a couple days off work. If I could just get this carpet out it would be miles easier. I think I'll have to cut this carpet under the centre console to get it finished :cry:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Keep it up with the updates! ;ol;

I've been dying to put my old alpine headunit in for a loooong time, I hope to start that project up again soon. Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Back at it!

A little package turned up today...

20 sheets of regular silent coat 2mm deadening (I've got right off the more expensive multilayer extra)

First job was get this piece out to get better access to the carpet....to cut it :cry:

With that out I could cut a little further under the console.

Rear carpet out

Drivers side out....

Passengers out

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Then onto the deadening, MILES easier with no carpet trying to decapitate me, and these sheets are much easier to work with

CCF down

MLV

I've gone as far up to the bulkhead as I can

Drivers side

CCF under the MLV but no pic

Also due to these pipes having to go back down I can't MLV the cabin 100% :wall:

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Amp cable

I've just used the existing bung behind the glove box.

Stabbed the ******* living crap out of it with a very long screwdriver (army head firmly back on by now in this heat!) just want it done now!....but the cable went through ok though...

This KnuKonceptz 0 gauge cable is dead easy to work with, very pliable and none of the problems I had with the Autoleads kit trying to spring back into a big coil , and this Knu cable is also more like 00 gauge! Really good quality kit.

Bit of red PVC braid to protect it and look all pretty!

I've left a few inches dangling off the end, got the screwdriver in the middle then jabbed it through the hole, pulls through easy. Just glides through with the braid fitted...

Plenty to play with, ill run a short 6" wire from the +ve terminal into a fuse holder then run the rest of the wire from there. Job done!

All tucked under the strut brace for now safe out the way

Inside I've ran it under the plastic pipes and through the seat struts.

So it'll be speaker wire down each door sill, power cable down straight down the middle passenger side, RCA's tucked to the left of the drivers seat next to the console.

Passenger carpet back in....very nearly broke me this!!!

The only way I could get it back in with the deadening down is place it as it should be from the rear, then fight the thing back into place right up to the front and under the glove box....knackering this carpet is proper thick!!!

That's it for now! Next job is wire up the Headunit (think I've got it sussed now thanks to Sgould & Stevedol) then run the RCA's to the boot, then re fit the front & rear carpets.

Almost there!!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Woohoo! Its back together....sort of ....bloody center trim!!!!

First job today was sort the old RCA's from the vert. All I wanted to do was fit them in some thinner polyester braid along with the amp remote cables. What a palava!! The new braid will take 2 but not 3 sets of RCA's so had to re use to old one....half hour wasted!

This was routed down the drivers side of the center column then to the rear door sill and out the back.

For the amp's earth cable I decided to use the rear seat belt bolt. Last time I picked up some alt whine so decided to grind the paint off everything and try to get a clean connection.
13mm for the bolt

Alomst used the supplied lug from KnuKonceptz and the hammer & vice thing.... then remembered I've bought a bag full of welding lugs & hydraulic crimper :D

Better!

Crimped (dead easy with the crimper!)

Heat shrink

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Grinding off the paint

Also grinded the lug (not sure if this will make much difference?)

Done

Then ran the cables to the boot, ill try and keep the power cable as far away as possible from the others this time, but the passenger side speaker cables will cross at one point (haven't done that side yet as Ive lost the speaker cables!)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Then took another look at this head unit, I've cut the lip off the ash tray and this has solved the CD problem, the fascia now drops down as it should so i can insert/eject a cd. I just need to sand it down to get a better finish, cut the old CD players fascia to fit.....then that's done.

Then took a look at the phone connector and what to connect the headunit to for 2x power & earth.

If I've got this right its:

red- perm +12v
yellow- ignition +12v
black- earth

Just waiting on the 2nd harness to turn up...drunk on thatchers gold needed up buying the wrong side iso connector ;oops:

Then find a wire for the illumination and the pioneer can be fired up!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Trim & interior back in, 9-10mm deadening makes a big difference in these! The carpet & trim has been a right #@#@# to get back in....hours of struggling!

The center consoles still not right and a few mm out, but I need to get it back off anyway to access the wiring for the headunit so ill sort that later.

Lovely job for this week in the heat wave!

Glove box needed drilling for the iPhone & USB cables to come through, and glove box screwed back on

Seats back in (painless & flew in!)

That's today. Hopefully the harness will turn up tomorrow then I can get the head unit powered up, swap the speakers then fit the amps and see ow it sounds ;ol;

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Couple hours deadening today, just the rear shelf this time and a quick swap of the 6x9's for my Genesis subs.

The shelf comes off pretty easy, just drop both seat backs then carefully remove these 3 plastic lugs, lift up at the front and pull it out

With that out the way your left with this, so mine has the 11 speaker system? 5 up front & 6 in the shelf.

I think its 6x9's for bass, 4" for mids and looks like a 2" tweeter for highs. When I eventually fit the amps ill just wire up the 6x9's only, disconnect the other 2 but leave them in situ.

I wanted to seal up these 3 holes, then add some deadening here and there ontop of the shelf, I've also done underneath.

To get the 6x9's out you have to remove both C pillar covers as these block one of the screws

Shelf deadened

Gennesis subs fitted....but not working

No idea what's happened here, they could be goosed but visually look in vgc. I've wired up the old 6x9's and these work fine, the p69's are showing no signs of life though, no sound and no movement in the cones?

Do these P69's have to be amped to get any sound from them? I'm getting nothing from the headunit

81 - 100 of 319 Posts