SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just became the proud owner of a 1977 99GL, which has been parked outside for 3+ years. I confiscated it from a friend who obviously was not appreciating it, as it reminded me fondly of my first car, a 1979 99-also brown. That car survived being totaled twice, once by me(I was 19) and later when the entire rear and passenger side were crushed when a steamroller turned onto the steep hill it was parked on. My brother later took it to Boston and drove it for a few years but got fed up with it when the person who stole his radio also broke the line leading to his add-on oil gauge and siphoned all the oil into the passenger compartment. Anyway-any Saab specific tips on starting the corpse? It was running but was not prepared for storage.

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
Welcome aboard :) Pictures are of course obligatory ;)

Now I'm not too hot on what the US got, but I do know the US got a lot more fuel injected cars than we did. Is yours carb of fuel injection? That can make a big difference on how to get it running.

But a thorough checkover would be a good place to start. Change the oil and filter, put some fresh fuel in, clean the plugs up, possibly change the coolant etc.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Almost certainly k-jet injection (no carb cars after '73) so airflow plate may be sticky (clean with carb cleaner). Also might be wise to replace fuel filter and any suspect looking injector lines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you- That is a big yes on fuel injection-I've never seen a carbed 99 around here 'tho a friend had mechanical injection. I will post pictures as soon as I get it towed over here.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Here are some steps to bring the car back to life:

1. Get some fresh fuel. The three year old gas doesn't work anymore. And new fuel filter.

2. Change the coolant fluid

3. Change the engine oil and filter

4. Check all vacuumlines and replace if needed

5. Turn the engine over a few times without the distributor cap to get the new oil flowing

6. Replace the distributor cap and check the plugs and leads. Replace if needed

7. remember the brakes are pretty much rusted solid so no driving yet

8. When you get the engine running, check for oil leaks, fuel leaks etc. Keep something to put out fires handy. Check for coolant temperature. Do not let the engine overheat.

-tom-

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
When i came to start my dads 99T a year or two ago (after about 6 years of being parked up), we got it running (not very well but it moved) by:

Draining the fuel tank (we syphoned it out through the pump hole) and putting in fresh fuel
Running the ruel pump on a permenant 12v feed for a while to get some fuel through.
Cleaning the plugs
Cleaning the injectors

After some turning over (we had to hit the starter a bit to make it go) it went. It didnt run very well though as 2 of the injectors were too gunged up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts