SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The previous owner put a Greddy Warning Gauge in the glovebox. as this is my first turbocharged car, what is the use of this and why would he have put it in the glovebox where it is impossible to view when driving. i originally thought it was a turbo timer, but i had a look on the greddy website and all though mines quite old it looks nearly exactly like the black one on the website:
http://www.greddy.com/products/display/?Category=electronics&SubCategory=57

i read what greddy had to say but i still don't understand the use of it.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
which gauge(s) are hooked up to it? do you have any pics?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a pic of the gauge im talking about, its situated in the glovebox. I thinks is a boost gauge but whats the point of having one in the glovebox:S

Attachments

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
len88 said:
This is a pic of the gauge im talking about, its situated in the glovebox. I thinks is a boost gauge but whats the point of having one in the glovebox:S
Looks like a boost gauge to me. The scale seems a little... surreal... though. Why two different units for boost and manifold vac? <puzzled>
This calc - http://www.aip.org/avsguide/refguide/workingpress2.html - seems to suggest that 500mm/Hg is around 0.68 kg/cm2, so it's a roughly linear scale either side of rest. kg/cm2 is almost identical to bar - which is probably the most common boost measurement (apart from the old-fashioned imperial psi), right?

As for the point in putting it in the glovebox? Well... Don't all Saabs have a pet troll who lives in the glovebox? He needs to know how hard to hang on, y'know. Don't you _care_ about his welfare? Don't you??

·
4,637 Posts
mm/Hg is a standard measurement for vacuum but is not used for positive pressure. Using negative kg/cm2 just doesn't seem right though.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
The only possible use of a boost gauge in the glovebox would be while calibrating the turbo (with help).

·
Registered
751 Posts
check peak boost once when engines just reached normal temp. then after 15 mins of hard boosting.

there must be an equation all on its own for how crap the stock intercooler is :p

WOT/(60x15) = Boost/2 :roll:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts