SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been enjoyable checking in with SaabCentral for several weeks now. I am the happy owner of a '04 9-3 Aero, 6M, which I purchased used with very low miles (3,400 actually). My last car was a 1990 Accord EX, which was so darn reliable, never gave me any excuse to sell it until rust started to creep around the rear wheel wells. After test driving many cars and much research, What attracted me to Saab is styling, room, performance and respectable gas mileage. Also, it is not a BMW or Audi!

I title this thread "fingers crossed" because there was a small catch to a VERY attactive offer made by the local Saab dealer. The car, which looks and smells like new was a "buy back" from Saab. According to my dealer, (and I was presented with documentation) the issue of the buy back was tire pressure monitors, which they show as now resolved. They say that the car was sent to a regional service facility where is was thoroughly inspected. It was sold "certified" with the complete factory warranty. My question to the group, is there anyone else who has puchased one similarly?

I have to admit, I am a tad on edge after reading through the threads these past few weeks, but I know folks are more apt to report the bad than the good. So far (1,000 miles) just a couple of minor repairs/adjustments to the car I found after the first week of driving. (Software update to resolve sunroof closure and replacement of a touchy driver's seat switch.) I find it an exceedingly entertaining car to drive. I believe tradition is to show it off a little.....picture is below. Thanks for thoughts/comments....Cheers!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Interesting. I wonder why GM/Saab would buy back with such a simple problem like that. Usually they will fight tooth and nail and only buy back in extreme cases.

Did you get a copy of the service history too?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only service history they had related to the tire pressure issue. Had all dates, replaced parts and related comments. CarFax was clean.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I dont think you can go wrong if you have all the history and have a full warranty (did they give you any sort of extension since it was used?).

The only thing that may come up is that it will effect resale down the line. However, I dont know how much of a case that will be, since supposedly saab cars have historically had poor resale anyhow. It seems that you keep cars for the long run, so one way or another, it wont make a difference.

Treat the car well, Im sure youll love it and itll give you lots of good service.

JMH

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JHZR2 - No further extension on the warranty, but the remainder of the 3year/5year is pretty good. All things going well, I do plan on keeping the car for the long term. I typically don't pile on miles and I do take good care of my cars. Needless to say, comparing the Saab to the old Honda is like the thoroughbred to the old grey mare......I find myself making excuses to take a drive.
Cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EP Doc - The car was listed at 28K and I got it for just under 25K. It had 3,400 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same here...

I've got the same question.
Seriously considering the 2003 93 Arc 6spM with 15K on the odo.
The "deal" is really good but I'm worried it too good.

Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
19,741 Posts
The only issue I would worry about is the 6 speed. A lot of people were having grinding problems and getting the car into gear, especially when cold outside. This may be the reason why the 6 speed is no longer offered. If I had a choice, I would choose the 5 speed.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I have the 6 speed and so far it is fine. I had some issues shifting between the lower gears and feeling like the syncros were not working. The garage readjusted the cable linkage for the shift and it has been OK since. It is not a brilliant shift, but then cable shifts generally aren't.

Try it and see what you think.

My only advice buying a used would be get a warranty and get one that has all the extra kit you want fitted. It will be very expensive to retrofit somethings, and impossible to do others.

Oh yeah, and try and avoid the four speaker base stereo (AS1/4). It is not the best.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
vwconvert - In Mass, dealers have the obligation to disclose buy-back or salvage (flood, etc.) issues. Be blunt, ask the question. Regarding the 6 speed: my 1 - 2 shift, when the trans is cold, could be smoother, but is certainly not a bother. Certainly no issues getting into gear. At the next service, I'll try the adjust suggested by Aero-Adam (Thanks for the suggestion Adam!)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sounds like a sweet car wsroman. I just picked up my new '05 9-3 two weeks ago and like you, I also make excuses to go for drives.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Krg05 - Been in and out of Boston the past few days and have to admit, bouncing around So. Bos. with the Aero is tough on the back-side. but once on the open road, its all smiles.

Cheers

·
Registered
180 Posts
wsroman said:
It has been enjoyable checking in with SaabCentral for several weeks now. I am the happy owner of a '04 9-3 Aero, 6M, which I purchased used with very low miles (3,400 actually). My last car was a 1990 Accord EX, which was so darn reliable, never gave me any excuse to sell it until rust started to creep around the rear wheel wells. After test driving many cars and much research, What attracted me to Saab is styling, room, performance and respectable gas mileage. Also, it is not a BMW or Audi!

I title this thread "fingers crossed" because there was a small catch to a VERY attactive offer made by the local Saab dealer. The car, which looks and smells like new was a "buy back" from Saab. According to my dealer, (and I was presented with documentation) the issue of the buy back was tire pressure monitors, which they show as now resolved. They say that the car was sent to a regional service facility where is was thoroughly inspected. It was sold "certified" with the complete factory warranty. My question to the group, is there anyone else who has puchased one similarly?

I have to admit, I am a tad on edge after reading through the threads these past few weeks, but I know folks are more apt to report the bad than the good. So far (1,000 miles) just a couple of minor repairs/adjustments to the car I found after the first week of driving. (Software update to resolve sunroof closure and replacement of a touchy driver's seat switch.) I find it an exceedingly entertaining car to drive. I believe tradition is to show it off a little.....picture is below. Thanks for thoughts/comments....Cheers!

I bought my 03 Vector "certified" or as i like to call it used with a little over 3000 miles on it from a dealer here in NH and they were very forward to let me know that the car did have a starter issue (which was common with the first gen.) They showed me the paper work stating that the car was fixed and had no other problems. A year later the car is running fine, i'm loving it and i haven't had any problems with it. (except the minor brake noise here and there.) Hope everything works out with yours and don't forget to fix the pic!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts