SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty well today while driving home from school i noticed my check engine light had popped on. I ended up taking it down to get the code read real quick and came back with p1181.

So, it looks like i have a mixture problem. I am actually pretty sure i had a similar code right when i got the car for "lean running condition", although we cleared it after connecting a hose leading to the crank case check valve. It never came back.

Anyway, after searching it looks like the most logical place to start is the MAF. i am going to give that a clean (even though i already cleaned it about 3 months ago), and make sure i don't see any leaks or areas where air could leak around the intake pipe.

If not that, is it worth it to replace my o2 sensors? it seems a lot of people just end up getting the code right back after doing that.

Lastly, i'm going to source new vacuum tubing and redo the lines and see where i am at. I also want to snag new spark plugs, but when i went down to the auto store and requested the BCPRE7-11 plugs they couldn't find them because that isn't the "part number THEY go by".

So, do most people have success with cleaning the MAF? if it helps, i am running an oiled filter. Not sure how this plays into the p1181 code.

I'm glad i found this out before blowing the motor :eek:

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
If cleaning the MAF doesn't help you could have a bad connection/bad heated oxygen sensor.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quick update- i pulled off the MAF, and i dont know if i was blind the first time i cleaned it or it got super dirty in a few months, because it was GUNKY. I thought the little slats holding the MAF sensor wires in place were supposed to be black. I was wrong. They are actually silver, and looked completely black under all the caked on crap that was on it. One of the sensors was completely black as well, and i found it was actually silver under all THAT crap.

I assume this is probably where my problem was. Either that MAF hadn't REALLY been cleaned in a long time or spectre filters use WAY too much oil and caused it to become blocked up very quickly. at this point, i am going to put the filter back on and check again in a month to see if it has become dirty again.

i will reset my code and see if it comes back this time and update here again.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another update- i've since put another 60-70 miles on my car and NO check engine code has come back. It looks like my dirty MAF sensor caused it, and cleaning them out has fixed my "lean running condition" code:cheesy: (fingers still crossed, though).

·
Registered
329 Posts
Another update- i've since put another 60-70 miles on my car and NO check engine code has come back. It looks like my dirty MAF sensor caused it, and cleaning them out has fixed my "lean running condition" code:cheesy: (fingers still crossed, though).
I'd like to know if your clear CEL lasts. I have the same code. I cleaned the MAF as well, but don't recall if those resistor type sensors were black or not. Perhaps they were, so I am considering a second cleaning.

I am on the verge of dropping $300 for a new MAF, and it has been making me sad to consider that. I'll be bookmarking this thread!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no problem. I don't think i'll get the cel back because my MAF sensors were really caked in grime, 1 in particular was completely black- you couldn't even see the little wire.

Nevertheless- i will make sure to post back if it does come back!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another quick update- my SID has been reporting increased fuel mileage since cleaning my MAF. In the city for the last few months, i've seen the SID report about 19.8-20.2 MPG, now it is reading 21.1 mpg. I've not done any highway driving since the cleaning.

Still no CEL.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I know this thread is a little old, but have you had any other issues since cleaning the MAF?

I keep getting the P1181 code and my mpg has dropped about 4.

Thanks for the info!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts