SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, I was rebuilding my driver side strut today and when I pulled off the front driver wheel lugs, they had grease on them.

Since I don't put great or anti-seize on lug nuts, I was wondering how it got there. There is a possibility that when my mechanic did some
work on the car that he put some grease on the lugs, but I can't believe he would do that.

My question to you guys is, have any of you ever seen this happen? Is it even possible for grease to migrate from let's say a rip in a cv joint outer boot?
Where else could the grease be coming from? Thanks

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Could it be that the old strut leaked and it somehow got on the wheel bolts? I know my rear shocks were leaking a lot when they failed.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I had tires put on the other day at walmart and watched them put anti seize on all the lugs. This was their standard practice I assume, I did not ask for it. I think this is good practice, as I have seen sheared lugs on a Saab before, as well as the wheel stuck on the hub from corrosion.
My standard practice is to clean the hub and wheel hub with a wire brush, and put some bearing grease on the hub and anti seize the lugs.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had tires put on the other day at walmart and watched them put anti seize on all the lugs. This was their standard practice I assume, I did not ask for it. I think this is good practice, as I have seen sheared lugs on a Saab before, as well as the wheel stuck on the hub from corrosion.
My standard practice is to clean the hub and wheel hub with a wire brush, and put some bearing grease on the hub and anti seize the lugs.
Thanks Tboy, good to know that there are service centers out there doing it. I could see putting some anti-seize on the flat mount surface so the wheel is easier to get off, but I'd be worried about putting grease on lug nuts.

·
Super Moderator
1,915 Posts
I’m a big fan of a small amount of anti-seize on the lugs as well. It’s impossible to get consistent precise torque on “dry” fasteners, and high end bolt manufacturer ARP even developed their own thread lubricant paste to combat the issue. Stopping corrosion is equally important, and a dab of anti-seize helps with both.

Reactions: photousa

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
I don’t have my WIS with me but doesn’t it state there should be a light coat of anti-seize or grease applied to the nuts and mating faces of the wheels & hubs?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don’t have my WIS with me but doesn’t it state there should be a light coat of anti-seize or grease applied to the nuts and mating faces of the wheels & hubs?
I have WIS, but I've never seen that one, if you find that info, please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Section 7 (suspension, wheels)
Wheels and tyres
Adjustment, replacement -> wheel -> to fit

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Mimmi's right. The WIS, at least in that section, says to apply white high pressure paste to the hub and to oil the threads of the lug bolts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Torque specs are calculates on hardware that can freely move. That being said, I always used anti-seize on the threads to accurately torque nuts and bolts.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Section 7 (suspension, wheels)
Wheels and tyres
Adjustment, replacement -> wheel -> to fit
Yes, there it is in black and white. Thanks for posting where to find the info Mimmi. I learned something today, can't dispute WIS, the Saab Bible!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts