SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long story short.......I want my old saab back. I've been driving the new 9-3 for almost 2 years, and even though it is a beautiful, great car all around.......it just isn't the same as my 1997 900S. I spend waaay more time poking around this page on the forum than for my own car. However, the 2.3 N/A motor is not quite what I'm looking for. I'm keeping my ear to the ground for a nice Viggen.......

This is where you guys come in. I would like the overall thought on whether this is too good to be true.

1999 9-3 Viggen

Pros
5,509 miles
Good feedback
He is roughly in my area

Cons
5,509 miles......can we believe this?
All for his DVD collection
He uses a stock image, not a real pic and admits there is some damage

Anyone else calling B.S. on this one? I really need to be brought back to reality, and the people in this forum seem to be good ones to do that. Thanks in advance.

BTW: In case any of you are extreme gentlemen and are resisting the urge to buy this car because a fellow Saab centraler is considering, please feel free. This would be quite a stretch for me to obtain......I don't quite have the room for two cars right now, so something tells me the better half would put her foot down on this.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Man must know by now that, when it comes to buy/selling ,that he cannot be trusted.

Those on eBay can be trusted even less... This does not mean that all men are untrustworthy, but how to detect the honest ones ??

To tell the truth, I don't trust myself, when it comes to B & S(buying and selling, not our normal BS :cheesy:, but a part of it..

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
My biggest concern here would be the complete lack of any pictures. If I were you and seriously considering purchasing this car, I would go see it, touch it, drive it. While you're at it, ask to see the title. Then, and only then would I consider buying it.

I bought both of my Saabs on Ebay and it went off w/o a hitch. However, both listings had multiple pictures, CarFax reports and were sold by people that had feedback on automobile transactions in the past. I refused to make deposits on both transactions (up front) and took the full amount with me in local (to them) bank funds.

·
Registered
719 Posts
In any situation buyer beware and if it's too good to be true......, but lets give the gent the benefit. I purchased my Saab on ebay (and numerous other items), it was a too good to be true item (with no pics). Luckily the lister responded promptly to my emails and let me look at the car (3 hour ride). He even let me spend some quality time looking her over with my floor jack, tools and some stands. The lack of pics kept most bidders away and his lack of a reserve made me very happy in the end. Honestly, if I wouldn't have felt, seen, and heard it. I would have been with the rest and stayed away... far, far, away..

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hmm, he sure is a story teller, and like most story tellers I'd bet there's some truth to what he says, but it's heavy on something else.

That aside, if you can get a chance to look at it that would be a good call.

On the one hand, I'd raise an eyebrow at the two viggens that he just seems to want to get rid of. But if the stories about saab this and that are true, maybe just maybe there is some sincerity here.

The one question I have is, what is normal wear for a car with less than 6k miles on it?

·
Registered
997 Posts
I hope the oil has been changed, regularly!

There seems to be no real information about the car besides some light damage (which does not seem normal for a car with 6000 miles). If I had a car with 6000 miles I would also tote the fact that I took care of it and pampered it (not that it rode in an enclosed trailer...)

I would definitly want to see it before...

For someone who wants to sell a car he didn't try too hard (I mean a digital camera costs less than $50).

Update: Response from a few questions about pictures and general maintenance...

Due to tremendous response, I will obtain and post pictures of
the actual vehicle and it's minor inclusions. It has had regular
maintenance and oil changes approximately every 2 yrs, fully
synthetic of course per my SAAB advisor in Seattle. Thank you
for your interest.

Umm I might be wrong but an oil change once every 2 years, no matter what, is probably not a good thing, eek.

·
Registered
353 Posts
tucksayre said:
I hope the oil has been changed, regularly!

There seems to be no real information about the car besides some light damage (which does not seem normal for a car with 6000 miles). If I had a car with 6000 miles I would also tote the fact that I took care of it and pampered it (not that it rode in an enclosed trailer...)

I would definitly want to see it before...

For someone who wants to sell a car he didn't try too hard (I mean a digital camera costs less than $50).

Update: Response from a few questions about pictures and general maintenance...

Due to tremendous response, I will obtain and post pictures of
the actual vehicle and it's minor inclusions. It has had regular
maintenance and oil changes approximately every 2 yrs, fully
synthetic of course per my SAAB advisor in Seattle. Thank you
for your interest.

Umm I might be wrong but an oil change once every 2 years, no matter what, is probably not a good thing, eek.

What exactly is a Saab advisor?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I bought my first car on Ebay without ever seeing it because I was young(er) and naive. While I would certainly buy another Ebay car if the deal were right; it would not be without seeing the car first and checking out the seller.

This guy has 100% positive feedback which makes me doubt he is "lying" in any substantial way; but he probably is stretching the truth as far as he can without breaking it...

From the sounds of it, I would say he is doing his best to play on the fact that most of the general public know very little about Saab; and he is playing it up as much as he can. I would talk to him straight; get the car out for a test drive and have a close look at it. If he is up and up he won't have any issue with that.

If he isn't...

·
Registered
353 Posts
You could start asking him more direct questions about common Saab stuff. DIC, CPS, Fuel Pump, etc. I realize this sounds nuts for a car with so few miles on it, but this is a good way to see what his reaction is. A really good one would be to ask if either of his cars are automatic :evil: :cheesy: ;)

BTW, for my own information--b/c I don't know and am being lazy atm

Did the '99 Viggen have a T-7? Which follows, black DIC?

·
Registered
48 Posts
You'd think that the way he loves this car, he would have thousands of pics of it

"Gentle warping" sounds like when a realtor calls a tiny, dump apartment "cozy with lots of charactar."

His qestions seem a little to complimentary to me to be real.

I have $10 that it doesn't sell because the reserve is several thousand above the amount any normal person would pay for it.

Don't get me wrong, it's a sweet car, but it is a little strange to me.

I have another gem for you, I have a 1998 Ford Taurus, one of only 100,000,000 made. A true collector car. Only 190,000 miles, but since I am running it in reverse on Jack stands as we speak, it may have negative miles by the time I sell it! I had it shipped to california on the starship enterprise. I am only asking the measily sum of $50,000 for such a unique piece of automotive hitory.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The more I read of that auction the crazier it gets!

Who uses the word "inclusions" let alone several times in a few short sentences?

What the . is a "Saab Advisor". Did I miss something? Is his office in my middle school next to the Guidance Counselor?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Still no pics ?

A pic is worth a thousand words, in the case of a used automobile - many dollars - an excellent investment for the seller..
And doesn't everyone want the highest possible price ??

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I saw that ad the other day and now it's on some other sites as well. The ad is a bit much...

"the Viggen was covered and stored to be enjoyed like a limited edition decanter of Louis XIII Black Pearl Cognac... one rare and delicious driving experience at a time."
Please...

·
Registered
553 Posts
I think it's pure B.S. This guy smells oily beyond words. I get the sense that he's one of those f*ckheads who stares at his cellphone half the day and "reads" cigar magazines in public places.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Genespleen said:
I think it's pure B.S. This guy smells oily beyond words. I get the sense that he's one of those f*ckheads who stares at his cellphone half the day and "reads" cigar magazines in public places.
I am resisting any urge to suggest he should be buying a certain german car after he gets rid of a less pretentious automobile.

This guy put up a dublicate ad on saabnet, but included an actually city(danbury ct) and a phone number, but no pics.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Genespleen said:

Haaaaaa! @ the cigar mags in public places comment.

Seriously though, this guy is like uber slick salesman-y acting. Like, a parody almost.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I wouldn't go near it.

My gut feeling is that he's either taking the piss (must be really bored to be entertained this way), or more likely it's some sort of 419-like scam!

Next he'd tell you his digital camera is just broken and he can't take pictures, and he is on a trip to Nigeria, could you please wire some money to western union in Aboojabooja so that he can buy a little camera to take pictures of the Saab when he's back....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts