SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.epinions.com/Garmin_010_00401_10_STREETPILOTa_C330_GPS_RECIEVER_Garmin_0100040110_GPS_Receiver

Do you guys think this will fit in front of the shifter where the shelf unit is? I dont have the ashe tray which I think took up more space below.

The dimensions of the unit are:
Width4.4 in.Depth2.8 in.Height3.2 in.

I am thinking of getting this, so if any of you guys have any opinions I would love to hear them.. This sounds like a solid value/$.

Any other good mounting spots to consider? BUT more importantly, do you think it will fit in the space beneath the shelf unit? I notice the height might be too much, but if you look at the unit its def. shorter in the back.. so it might just stick out some (too close to the shifter?)

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
If your Garmin needs to "see" the satellites it has to be positioned above the dashboard. If it has sepatate GPS box then that you can stick that above the dashboard.

My idea is to go TomTom with GPS incorporated, stick it above the dashboard and use the bluetooth for my cell-phone.

If you stick a screen in the place of the ashtray you are not going to be giving enough attention to what is happening beyond the windscreen. Sounds dangerous to me.. Any optional screen or guage should be in your normal range of vison and not below..... Just my point of view :roll:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it can have an external antenna ran.. so this is not a problem of signal.

I am wanting it more for a map / and audible speech telling me where to turn. I cant imagine I am really going to need to be looking at it. Thats the whole point, i dont want to see it too much... but want it to LOOK good in the car, bnot having some gawdy object hanging from the glass. If its there it should be fairly easy to use the touch screen too.

so, will it fit... anyone know the dimensions?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
o yeah, forgot to mention.. from all I have read this has gotten better reviews for GPS than the tom tom, but if you want bluetooth I guess thats another thing.

The 320c is a great price (around $450) if you do not mind upload like 3 states in its memory card (the 330 comes preloaded w/ a hard drive).

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You are going to need to look at it. The voice directions aren't enough for complicated intersections or closely-spaced exits.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ what system is that much better thats remotely close to that price?

The Quest is like 350

tom tom around 550

C320 around 420

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, so I ended up getting the Garmin C320... only cost 450 and got a better review than tom tom in multiple places..

now, where to mount?

Do you think it could fit on the hard plastic on the steering wheel colomn.. it might obstruct SOME of the MPH gauge, but I do not think it will obstruct it all... what are the best ways to mount here.

Also, was thinking of cutting the plastic on the Shelf (replaced ashe tray) and mounting it there...

thoughts.. ideas... something? This is pretty slow thread for SC.. I figured more on here had GPS aftermarket.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Use black Velcro and put it above the dashboard just to the right of center.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
do you think the sticky glue residue will stick to the interior bad when/if I decide to move it to another location/sale my car?

I havent used velcro too much so if anyone has done this please advice... I have hesitations about that, but we will see.

I was thinking about trying to get it on the left vent by the driver window too.. we'll see. It should be here tuesday I think and I will post some pics/reviews when I can.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
First a piece of black "Duck" tape the same size as the black velcro..
And Bob's your uncle!!
It'll all come of no problem. If and when you sell your car.
You might decide to leave it ... eventually it would help to sell your car
And the next one might have navigation? For sure in 3 years time Garmin or TomTom will have better and cheaper. So why worry. :lol:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi CallipNCSUsaab,
How's the c320 going for you? Figure out where to mount it? I'm also thinking aboug getting one (although I'm waiting until next month when the c340 is coming out to see how well that works...real time traffic data sounds pretty sweet) and I'm interested in what your impressions of it are so far.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I have only had it for about 5 hours but so far it has navigated me around NC's capital like a champ. I have it mounted right now right at the rear view mirror, just off to the left - its actually under the roof liner and have had no drops in the signal.

I had it mounted near the front left speaker but I had to reach too far to het the buttons and there was a glare of my hand on the screen when my hand was at 10 o'clock on the wheel.

So far I am REALLY impressed w/ visibility and the POI's in its database. The only place I like to go that wasnt on there was a hole in wall bar/brewery in the industrial side of town... but it still gets me there just fine now that I have the addresed saved as a favorite. If you compare the visibility w/ this and the Tom Tom its night and day.. could not have the tom tom in my car.

The only problem I have had so far w/ the navigating is right beside my neighborhood there is a main road that is frequently used.. it wants me to turn left on it from one point where there is a divider in the road.. its only like 1 ft wide and 6'' tall so the map people may not know about it.. I will be submitting a correction form for this. Of course, I just go the way I know I can (a 2nd entrance to the rd) and then it will auto calculate another route from this point which is correct.

The volume and tone is great.. I kept reading reviews about a robotic voice. I dont have this opinion yet but maybe over more time? Sounds perfectly fine to me.. and i like the ladies voice, ha.

so overall:

great maps
good routes
great POI
great screen clarity (much better than the reviews gave it I thought.. which were hight ratings than the tomtom)
loud/clear voice.

I cant complain, for $450.

O, the C320 you load the maps (I dont like the idea of a hard-drive in the hear/bumps) and I got NC/VA/most of MD/DC area. and still had more room. I was short of adding all of SC too by 4% on the memory card. I am going to Richmond, VA this weekend and so I plotted my trip be entering the address of the house I will be staying at.. had a GOOD course in 7 seconds MAX. That is quick.... really really quick compared to the magellan units I tried (1 minute for a place in NC)

Also, of no relevance.. on the sheet that comes w/ the garmin unit is pretty little paper flyer showing marine/auto/hiking uses of their units and they use Raleigh, NC as the map for the auto (happend to be zoomed in right on my neighborhood so I thought that was cool)

When I have time I am going to try and figure out a good way to mount it on the steering wheel colomn... looks like it will work there just fine.

THE ONLY DOWNSIDE - the clip/suction cup that you use to mount to the dash/window has the power cord attached to it (you cant remove it) so you cant mount it and run the unit off batteries w/out a cord there. So... I am going to mount it NOT using the arm that comes with it and just charge it when need be.

·
Registered
910 Posts
We'd love to see some pictures of your c320 mount!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
MarkJ said:
We'd love to see some pictures of your c320 mount!
Get a suction cup RAM mount and put it above the dashboard.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts