SaabCentral Forums banner

Got the 'ol Can't Close Sunroof problem this weekend

2K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  Diggs 
#1 ·
This weekend I couldn't for the life of me get the sunroof to close. It would close about 3/4 of the way then retract back to the open position. Then after a little frustration, I remembered someone posting here that it could be fixed by applying some lube (ie. WD40). I drove to the nearest hardware store and picked up a small can and applied it to the tracks.

Viola! Sunoof closes like a dream.

Just thought I would post as a reminder.

:)

#3 ·
on a similar note...

How about when you vent the sunroof? I have occasional problems when the roof slides back but when I vent the sunroof, it hardly ever closes on the first time.
I am taking my car in for its regular service on June 1 and had planned to ask the service rep then. Has anyone else had this problem so I can go in there a little more prepared?

Thanks!

#5 ·
i've had this before (went venting the sunroof) and thought that there was something wrong with the pinch protection. the service guys lubed it and it has been fine since. i don't know what they used but i'm not sure if i would use wd40 as its not really a lubricant, i'd try either a very light oil (3-in-1) or a silicon based spray.

#7 ·
Danielle

Took my '04 9/3 ARC in for service on Friday. The sunroof was one of the issues. Was having problems with the sunroof automatically sliding all the way back with one touch. When I picked the car up Friday evening, they told me they uploaded new software, and demonstrated for me how it was functioning properly. Of course, 3 hours later, the same problem came back, and it's not working again. Yippee!!
Working for a software company, it scares me that much of the electric systems in these cars relies on software. I have a bad feeling this is only the beginning of many small annoying issues.

#9 ·
I'm taking mine in to the dealer in a couple of days for the same problem. Occasionally, but not always, when attempting to close the sunroof it'll go halfway or 3/4 of the way and then bounce back. One time I did this right before getting out of the car and didn't wait to watch it close all the way. When I got into my car the next morning I realized it was open the whole night :evil: . Luckily, it didn't rain, but I was still pretty pissed. Anyway, when i called up my dealer, he said that he probably has to recalibrate the "pinch" protection built into the moonroof. We'll see...

#10 ·
SwizzDrums said:
I am using that in my lemon law case. They've reprogrammed it 3 times and all kinds of crap. I aint puttin no wd40 on that sucker, it normally works if u start driving and tryna close or shiftin the changer on autotranny. Software glitch.
Sounds to me like the pinch protection is working. Reducing the friction with some lubricant seems to be a very reasonable solution to the problem.

#12 ·
Topspin14 said:
JN my hero. Where exactly did you apply the WD40?

Did you just open the sunroof and spray it all along the entire track?

I've had this problem for a long time...usually I just keep slamming the button until the damn thing closes haha.
:cheesy:

All I did was spray in the track itself and the tops of the tracks.

#13 ·
Hey, this is grounds to get compensation

I aint buying no wd-40 to fix my sunroof. Too crude for a $30,000+ car. I dont care if it's a $20 check they cut me, they need to compensate all owners over this. Imagine if u mistakenly leave thinking you closed ur sunroof, it rains *directly over ignition mind u* and now all the eletronics are messed up in car and car wont start. See what i mean....

#14 ·
SwizzDrums said:
I aint buying no wd-40 to fix my sunroof. Too crude for a $30,000+ car. I dont care if it's a $20 check they cut me, they need to compensate all owners over this. Imagine if u mistakenly leave thinking you closed ur sunroof, it rains *directly over ignition mind u* and now all the eletronics are messed up in car and car wont start. See what i mean....
It is people with unreasonable expectations and without the responsibility to protect themselves that have caused the problem in the first place - overly litigious and unreasonably demanding people. The pinch protection is in place because some moron got his head stuck in the sunroof or window and got killed. The family sued the company - as a result all vehicles now have pinch protection for sunroofs and windows. We, as consumers, end up paying for this nonsense in the form of increased cost for the electronic gizmos meant to protect morons from themselves and in increased costs for vehicle manufacturers to pay legal judgements and settlements to the morons' families.

You are now suggesting a similar thing. Never mind that it takes a mere second to check to see if the window or sunroof is fully closed.

Sorry if I come across a bit strong on this. This is a topic that greatly annoys me to no end.

#16 ·
well done, rob in atlanta! i'm with you on that. no matter how much a car costs the owner has got to take some responsibility for it.
to take a car back to the dealer and use the lemon law (we don't have it in canada but i think i understand the gist of it) because the sunroof needs lubricating seems a bit excessive. i know that the response i am going to get is that the 9-3 is not reliable, but if you want a car that never breaks down or has any sort of malfunctions then all you have to do is not drive it. maybe i'm one of the few (i doubt it, though) but mine has been pretty much trouble free.
if something happens with your vehicle, then this and other sites are a great resource and if something like this can be fixed by squirting some wd40 on it then maybe this will save us all some money, because we all know that GM (and SAAB) aren't building cars for their health and the costs of this type of thing is eventually passed on to the consumer.

#18 ·
However

I am one of the few who has nothing but problems with the car but can't dump it cause I got too much mileage and 2 more years to go on the finance. Easier said than done guys, I got more than enough adventures with this car to write a whole novel about it. But I still love it, nonetheless. Gives my car unique Saab Character unlike any others. I kinda enjoy the fact the dealers really be knowing me by first name, like a whole new family I got there. LoL Tomorrow I take it in to fix the sunroof, sixdisc player, front headlight, front fog light, oil change, and to have Climate control buttons replaced again since they peeling again. And have gearbox looked at, stupid malfunction light keeps popping up from time to time.

#19 ·
OMGOMGOMGOMG YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY I'm new to the forums and I can help with this one!!!!!

You can either put more lube on it, but of course because you prolly dont carry that kind of stuff around with you you can disable the pinch protection on the windows to get it to close. To disable the pinch protection, push and hold down the window lock key, on the bottom of the window buttons on the door, for at least two seconds. Then while youre holding it down try to close the sun roof again, once you let go of the window lock key then the pinch protection should be enabled again.

HOORAY FOR ME!! I WIN!!

w00t!

#20 ·
soggy said:
OMGOMGOMGOMG YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY I'm new to the forums and I can help with this one!!!!!

You can either put more lube on it, but of course because you prolly dont carry that kind of stuff around with you you can disable the pinch protection on the windows to get it to close.

HOORAY FOR ME!! I WIN!!

w00t!
Woah there cowboy! Take it easy! ;)

Well, carrying a small can of wd40 in the trunk is no big deal and can fit right next to the windex (auto glass cleaner) and various other things people may put in their trunk.

[Proposed Swizz Quote]I ain't puttin' no air in my tires. Not on a 30K+ car![/end quote}

Sheesh, Swizz, the sunroof is a mechanical device. Sure you could disable pinch protection, but logic would dictate that moving parts do need lubrication, just like a little part called....THE ENGINE! :) Same concept.

Take into consideration I am in no ways a die-hard DIY'er like many of the guys here. However, as Rob eloquently stated there are some things that require upkeep by the owner, whether it be taking care of the tire or lubing the sunroof tracks before and after a season change.

Cheers!

#21 ·
soggy said:

You can either put more lube on it, but of course because you prolly dont carry that kind of stuff around with you you can disable the pinch protection on the windows to get it to close. To disable the pinch protection, push and hold down the window lock key, on the bottom of the window buttons on the door, for at least two seconds. Then while youre holding it down try to close the sun roof again, once you let go of the window lock key then the pinch protection should be enabled again.

HOORAY FOR ME!! I WIN!!

w00t!
Sorry to burst your bubble soggy but cpufixer1 beat you by nearly 10 hours... Keep trying, you will one day be the champion you so desire!

#22 ·
Although

Yes I do agree with Rob that maintainence of your car is a responsibility of the owner, the manual states NOTHING regarding the sunroof and the issue was prevalent from the first month of owning car with it being called a "simple software glitch". If it's fixable underwarranty then I am not responsible for the failure of the unit. I'm not taking a hammer to the sunroof saying *dont work, better not etc...* Ask yourself, if you've had other cars in the past, have they had sunroof issues like this, probably not. And dont give me the ole' well back in the day they used to leak nonsense... this type of error should not be happening with the car period. I can understand a lot of other issues, but for the owner to simply have to "grin and bear it" then I have a problem with that. Why am I paying all this money for an option that doesnt work?? Thats like saying " Speed Dependent Volume" works on the car, come on! Like I've always stated, I love the car, when it works, when it doesnt, it's a shame. And that should sum it up.

#24 · (Edited)
I have same problem, too.
my sunroof hesitated and tried very hard (I could feel it's trying) to open when I hit the button. Once it opened, it also hesitated to close... sometime it pulled back on the half way..... it might be due to so called the pintch protection but this can't explain why I have difficulty to make it open.
These days I even happened to found some sticky glue on the sunroof after I had it colsed (I guess some sticky tape? inside the top of the roof just fell off and touched the sunroof...) :roll:

I still like my car anyway..... but a car with so many "minor" problems such as mysterious rattles/buzz in different weather, water leak from the door, sunroof playing funny, heavy break dust, squeaky break and fading door handle can hardly make me happay everyday though....

#25 ·
allankuo said:
I have same problem, too.
my sunroof hesitated and tried very hard (I could feel it's trying) to open when I hit the button. Once it opened, it also hesitated to close... sometime it pulled back on the half way..... it might be due to so called the pintch protection but this can't explain why I have difficulty to make it open.
These days I even happened to found some sticky glue on the sunroof after I had it colsed (I guess some sticky tape? inside the top of the roof just fell off and touched the sunroof...) :roll:

I still like my car anyway..... but a car with so many "minor" problems such as mysterious rattles/buzz in different weather, water leak from the door, sunroof playing funny, heavy break dust, squeaky break and fading door handle can hardly make me happay everyday though....
Thank you man, that's exactly what I mean. If you look at every other competitor to this car, they don't have these minor issues. And don't give me its the "new model" response, they've had enough time to eliminate these issues. *note, a proud saab owner nonetheless* NO BMW 325, Benz C230 or Volvo S40 would do this stuff. It's a quality of build issue...

#26 ·
I think it's a hardware problem, not a software problem. The window is suppose to slide on to links on each side which retract the built-in wind fairing. My dealer in SLC tried the lube trick too, but no trick.
They replaced the linkage because they were binding and causing the window to snap back in safety mode (made to not crush object like hands). It's been working fine ever since (18 months).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.