SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, there are a couple other posts about pulling the engine out of the 9-5 from the top. These were a great help for me and my project. Just wanted to say that I got the engine out the TOP side w/o taking out the tranny. It was a big pain in the rear, but it will come out. You definetely need to tilt the pulley side of the engine up first and wiggle your way out. Also the tranny does need to get loosened (disconected from the mounts) and supported with a jack. I had it crammed against the right side while scraping my way out on the other end with the engine. An engine tilter attachment to the hoist is a MUST. I didn't use one, but then it took me about 1 hour of tweaking angles of the hoist and jack for the tranny to get it out. Not sure I'll be so lucky getting the new one in w/o this. A helper would be nice too... Just wanted to let people know it can be done with a little effort. I'll post some pics when the new one is in. Thanks all for the posts and advice. This is only my 2nd engine R&R project. The first was an 89 Toyota P/U V6.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm doing the same thing to my girls 9-5...trans went in hers along with some other issues with it have me swapping her motor into a beautiful 99 9-5 which i'll be starting tomorrow so i'll be following this thread closely. Post often and take pics for me and let me know of any do's or dont's

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive just done this job on my 9-5, engine & gearbox out the top.
Plenty of pics over on uks if they help anyone here.

http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52833

Hope I havent broken any rules posting a link to another site, if so then sorry guys.;oops:

Just checked that post out. Wow, that's lengthy! Now if only I could speak English instead of American I'd be able to understand more of what they were saying!

I think I'll just wing it and put the new engine back in the same way the old one came out. I like the tow strap as a sliding tilter device. That ought to work just fine. Thanks for the link. Great pics for reference.

·
Registered
242 Posts
hi, you take the harmonic ballancer off before you tried to take the engine out ??

mark k

Well, there are a couple other posts about pulling the engine out of the 9-5 from the top. These were a great help for me and my project. Just wanted to say that I got the engine out the TOP side w/o taking out the tranny. It was a big pain in the rear, but it will come out. You definetely need to tilt the pulley side of the engine up first and wiggle your way out. Also the tranny does need to get loosened (disconected from the mounts) and supported with a jack. I had it crammed against the right side while scraping my way out on the other end with the engine. An engine tilter attachment to the hoist is a MUST. I didn't use one, but then it took me about 1 hour of tweaking angles of the hoist and jack for the tranny to get it out. Not sure I'll be so lucky getting the new one in w/o this. A helper would be nice too... Just wanted to let people know it can be done with a little effort. I'll post some pics when the new one is in. Thanks all for the posts and advice. This is only my 2nd engine R&R project. The first was an 89 Toyota P/U V6.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi, you take the harmonic ballancer off before you tried to take the engine out ??

mark k

Yeah, I did. That was the only way to make room. It was a TIGHT squeeze, but can be done. Even solo! I have a little touch up to do on the paint in the engine compartment, but sure beats pulling the box and engine out as one unit.:D

·
Registered
277 Posts
I started on my swap last night... oh boy, i've got my hands full. I don't think i've bitten off more that I can chew but i'm going to be chewing for a while!

I started pulling the blown motor out of the 99, I got the hood off, plastic bits removed, a few tubes and hoses, some electrical goodies, etc.. I'm starting to be able to see the motor so i'm getting there.

I also found the WIS in the car but can't seem to get it to work in my computer, not sure what to do about that. What exactly is on this "WIS"?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I started on my swap last night... oh boy, i've got my hands full. I don't think i've bitten off more that I can chew but i'm going to be chewing for a while!

I started pulling the blown motor out of the 99, I got the hood off, plastic bits removed, a few tubes and hoses, some electrical goodies, etc.. I'm starting to be able to see the motor so i'm getting there.

I also found the WIS in the car but can't seem to get it to work in my computer, not sure what to do about that. What exactly is on this "WIS"?

Hi Saabdozer. Welcome to the forum. The WIS is Workshop Information System or something like that. Basically you have what the pro's have for working on the 9-5. You should be able to load it onto your computer and see how to work on certain projects.

As far as the project goes, I know how you feel. It's a lot of work, but keep pulling parts off and you'll get down to where you can pull it out eventually. Just keep track of what goes where. PM me and maybe we can share some info if you get stuck. Where in Seattle are you?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Nathanthepilot... Finally got the WIS to load up on my laptop, seems to be a lot of good stuff on it, should be helpful.

I'm actually over on the other side of the Narrows Bridge, in Port Orchard.

As for the swap, i'm pulling the blown motor out of the 99 first and figure if I screw anything up it won't matter. Still paying close attention to where things go for re-assembly. I've never worked on anything this new or front wheel drive and like you the last major engine project I did was a rebuild on my 88 Yota so obviously there's been some technological advances since then. I'll PM you if I run into trouble or need some pointers or advice.

The main reason i'm swapping into the older Saab is my girlfriend hit a rock in the road and deployed the airbags in the 01, at that point it became known as the SaabDozer... insurance totalled it out. No major damage to the car but it's also been in 2 other minor fender benders so the other one will be better in the long run as far as the history goes.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well, I have the engine ready to come out... everything is off the front, exhaust is on the ground, wiring is disconnected, i'll be seperating it from the trans today and out it should come.

I did discover a few things that didn't need to be disconnected or removed so getting the good motor out of the '01 should go a bit better. I also noticed a few other bits on the '01 that weren't on the '99 like some vacuum type things, a few items on the fenders, some different/extra wiring connections. I sure hope this thing goes in without giving me fits!

The engine on the '99 had a lot of oil and grime on the front as well as a lot of oil in the intercooler... probably not a good sign but the motor is shot so who cares. The trans looks very clean, no leaks, fluid looks and smells ok. The engine on the '01 is very clean and only appears to be leaking from around the oilpan gasket. The '01 has always been a great runner and should give a few years more service in the '99.

A few things i'm gonna swap, like the black leather door panels, the smoked side markers, auto darkening mirror, wheels and tires, fog lamps, and a few others I can't think of right now.

I hope to have the other engine out by next weekend, do the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, oil pan, seals, etc.. and then re install

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well, had trouble rounding up an engine hoist so I took advantage of the extra time on my hands to get the '01 engine ready to remove. I will say it went a lot smoother than the '99 seeing as I already did it once and figured out what doesn't need to come off to get it out. Happy to say that they're both ready to pull as of tonight.

The main differences I noted between the '99 and the '01 were a few different wiring connectors, some extra emission stuff on the '01 which will be going bye bye, and some other slight changes to some of the plumbing on the intercooler. Other than that everything else seems to be pretty interchangeable.

I had my son swap out the wheels and a few other cosmetic things today and I do have to say he silver saab is SO much prettier than the (?) pewter) '01. When it's a bit more presentable i'll post some pics but it's filthy right now, the '99 has been sitting for at least a few months judging by the amount of green growing on things. I'm picking up the hoist and engine stand tonight and pulling both motors tomorrow.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey SaabDozer,

Sounds good on the progress. I know what you're talking about with the wiring. I'm swapping out intake manifolds from the 2001 engine since it's a 1 piece and has some different connectors on it. It looks like I can swap out the injector rail from the 2001 engine to the 99 engine with some adapters. Anyway, everything else looks straight forward. I've got everything swapped out that I want to from the old engine. It's ready to install later today. Maybe I'll have it running tonight or tomorrow if things go well. I'm planning an engine flush after its up and running to get the leftovers of the oil/crusty crud from the oil pan and timing chain area. I hope everything works after its in! SO many connectors and vacuum lines... I'm bound to forget 1 or 2 and have something not work right! Let me know how it goes!

Nathan

·
Registered
277 Posts
You bet NtP, I tried to remove as many pieces as I could as a whole (lines still attached) and put every nut and bolt back where it came from just seems to be a bit easier for me that way. I also put a piece of colored tape on the harness and the corresponding connector on both cars to help with the reconnection process. It's been a bit easier since I have both cars sitting side by side so if there's a question the answer is only 5 feet away.

What are you using to flush your motor? I want to do a good flush and clean out the crustys and any sludge that might be in there.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right on. I got the engine in today. It's bolted to the tranny and now I just have to start hooking up the accessories, and endless looms of wires and hoses! The intake manifold had to come off in order to get the engine in. I just couldn't make it fit otherwise. That will have to go back on later too. I *might* have it all together for a test start and drive tomorrow if all goes well! :cool:

·
Registered
277 Posts
If all goes well i'll be putting the engine in mine this weekend but I still need to order the timing belt tensioner, water pump, and I have to pick up a couple more gaskets.

I went through a bunch of parts sunday and harvested the best from each car. I also swapped out all the door panels... looks so sweet with the black inserts. There's no wiring for the auto darkening mirror, i'm bummed but it's not the end of the world.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If all goes well i'll be putting the engine in mine this weekend but I still need to order the timing belt tensioner, water pump, and I have to pick up a couple more gaskets.

I went through a bunch of parts sunday and harvested the best from each car. I also swapped out all the door panels... looks so sweet with the black inserts. There's no wiring for the auto darkening mirror, i'm bummed but it's not the end of the world.

I've been doing the same. New alternator stays in my car as well as the hoses that are newer... So is your donor car going to the dump after you're done, or are you parting it out? Sounds like it from the extensive harvesting! Do you have an extra battery cover you won't be needing? I was supposed to get one from the place that sold me the engine, but they forgot it.:nono;

·
Registered
3,951 Posts

I added a auto dim/compass mirrior to my car I wired it under the front dome light cover. You just need to find a constant 12v source when the ignition switch is turned on.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've been doing the same. New alternator stays in my car as well as the hoses that are newer... So is your donor car going to the dump after you're done, or are you parting it out? Sounds like it from the extensive harvesting! Do you have an extra battery cover you won't be needing? I was supposed to get one from the place that sold me the engine, but they forgot it.:nono;

I'm probably going to part it out... we only paid $800 for the '99 and I figure there's at least that much in parts, on the '01 if I can sell some of them off this whole thing won't cost much except my time which is somewhere around 35 hours so far. BUT I don't really have the space to store said parts so i'll sell off as much as I can as fast as I can and cut my losses.

Oh and to answer your question I believe I do have an extra battery cover i'd be willing to part with as well as an entire spare car... minus a working engine and transmission but it's all there.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts