SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was driving my car (88 spg), and lost power while down-shifting from fouth to third gear. By "lost power" I mean, I never got third gear; nothing, Let out the clutch and no hook-up. I've lost a few clutches while driving, and have driven on the hard-way to get home, but this was totally different. It's as if my trans. was suddenly spirited away in an instant.
It feels like the trans is stuck in nutral. the lever seems floppy. The shift- linkage is intact, and seems to work normaly, the shift rod is moving the selector rod that goes into the trans. but no matter wich gear is selected there is no response or change or sound from the gearbox (as if it were empty, hollow, no innards). Both drive-shafts are conected at both ends. The box always shifted very smoothly, no grinding, no hard to find gears, and NO NOISE whatsoever. It's like the clutch never hooked-up when I let off of the peddal. The slave cylinder works (I can see it move the pressure-plate forks) and does not seem to be "hung-up" fully extended. I would think that if all of the friction material on the clutch were to go to hell all at once I would have heard something, but this was silent. Silent, no sound, no warning, shift to third and suddenly no-go.
Any insight, enligtenment or opinions would be greatly apprecitated.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Yeah looks like whatever has actually happened, the gearbox needs to come out. Hoping it`s just a fork off the rails or something easy ;)

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ejenner said:
Could be this one...!

See the teeth have gone from the input to the diff. Obviously no drive in this scenario..!
Yup,could be. This failure was however, silent. I would expect a pinion gear to give a little notice. I will start with the simple stuff first and install a "decent" clutch over the comming weekend. Sometimes Thor smiles, sometimes not.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
if this was a transmission failure, this would be the first "silent" one I have ever heard of in 1 c900 in over 3 years on Saab Central.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Griff, Jonnie from Quantum here. Was thinking (and talking to Bart) after I spoke to you yesterday. Wonder if the hockey stick flipper (inside the gearbox side cover) lost it's rollpin. We have seen that and you will have no gear selection is that happens. Worth a look, something to do on Thankgiving day. BTW this is my first posting on Saabcentral. Good luck. Coldshot...........

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jonnie-welcome aboard and thanks for that idea. I was just getting ready to get started on the job, and will pull that cover and have a look.

To every one else- Jonnie and Bart are my local indi. gurus. They have helped me out with good advice , loans of funny-looking tools, and the use of their shop and equipment more times than I can remember. And for that I am very grateful.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well I have not looked at the friction material yet, but I did drain the oil and pullthe side cover. It would appear that a roll pin is missing (top right of pic.), next problem is I cant find it. Shure, I could just put in another pin, but I'll still have a loose part in there. Any Ideas?

Nevermind I found it.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: Roll-pin in, filled with Honda MTF the car shifts smooth as silk, now to find a better clutch (friction material getting close). Thanks to all who replied.

·
4,637 Posts
I'd suggest you get a replacement roll-pin 'cos this one fell out. You might be able to spread it a bit but it could be weaker after that...

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup I spread it with a chisel and yup I think it would be wise to get a new one. I suspect it had already fallen out once before because both ends were slightly distorted and it was tapered. Now I want to build that side cover out of lexan so I can see it. perhaps a little sight-glass or something........:roll:

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
grif900 said:
Update: Roll-pin in, filled with Honda MTF the car shifts smooth as silk, now to find a better clutch (friction material getting close). Thanks to all who replied.

It is so nice when the fix is so easy :cool:

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Honda MTF

grrr grrrr. woof woof.:D

-Glad you got it sorted.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
TheRedBaron said:
Hey, grif, look at you - rebuilding transmissions in an afternoon! :D
Good one, 29 cent rebuild :D . I cant help but imagine how many people have had this happen (I've never seen this before),went to a general (all makes/ all models) repiar shop and paid for a new/reman. trans. or scrapped the car, because the job would be too costly. And all because of a simple pin that costs a few cents.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts