SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2005 9-3 arc. It loves to chew right through the inside of tires. Whenever I put a new set on the techs come up with excuses as to why they can't give me a 4 wheel alignment. Yesterday the tech said the eccentric rear bolts are frozen and if I replace those with new ones they can give me an alignment. Take a look at my specs and let me know what you guys think. Maybe I just shouldn't worry about it. Car drives nice and straight.

What is everyones experience with 9-3 4 wheel alignment? Do you think my specs look fine enough? Just rotate tires more often than not maybe...

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I don't know what proper specs look like on a 9-3, but nothing about that seems like a problem in general. By the same token, none of that looks particularly aggressive - you should not be wearing tires unevenly. Are you sure you don't have something else worn or damaged that might be causing it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure. Car has over 200k on in so I'll just keep rotating them every 6-8k miles. I did replace a tie rod recently. It's the front tires that chew through the inside of the rubber.

Thanks

·
Registered
914 Posts
Uneven or toe out of spec is what will rapidly burn through tires and does have an affect on handling. Camber can have some mild effects on tire wear too, but much less so and over longer periods of time.

Here is my analysis of your alignment. Bear with me since I'm still learning and anyone who knows more is free to correct me.

When you took the car in for an alignment, your front suspension was toed in - with the left side beyond the "acceptable range". The tech has since corrected those to within an acceptable range. Camber was/is out a bit more than acceptable for the non-sport suspension, but I wouldn't worry about it. The sport suspension allows for up to -1.3* of camber, while sport convertibles are closer to -1.6*. It likely helps to improve turn in "feel" which makes the suspension feel more sporty. Front camber is typically not adjustable with stock bolts anyway. Aftermarket camber bolts that usually allow up to 1.5* adjustment of camber are available though.

Caster shows to be out of range. I don't know as much about it other than it typically doesn't directly wear tires. I've read that out of spec caster can affect camber change in corners, etc, which I'm sure impacts toe and subsequently tire wear. My guess is your biggest issue is worn or tired suspension components, which is normal after 200k miles.

New eccentric bolts will help with adjusting rear toe - which is also out of spec. New bolts are around ~$6, which in the end is cheaper than replacing improperly worn tires.

Regularly rotating the tires will help to spread the wear evenly among them. But it's really just masking the problem instead of resolving it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the reply. Lots of good information. The problem may very well be worn out suspension components. I'm just going to keep the tires rotated and hopefully they don't wear out so soon.

I'm not going to worry about replacing the rear eccentric bolt cause it sounds like a lot of work for what its worth. The rear hub needs removed and all.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts