SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I was merging onto the highway on a 50 degree afternoon. I was in third doing about 50 mph and lowered to about 3/4 throttle. I heard the "pop". This would be the second time it happened. After the first time in happened on the second week of owning the car...I went over all the clamps and made sure they were all tight!!

So the car will not even idle and just stalls. I pull over and to my surprise find a "blow out" just above the throttle body.

This silicone elbow is a 4-ply but apparently not a quality one. It did not blow out around the clamping area, so it makes me wonder...

I think I should update to all new t-bolt clamps just for insurance. Also keeping a spare of each type of silicone connector needed might not be a bad idea OR at least keep some duct-tape in the trunk to do patch job and limp home...:cry:

I am really getting to know what it is like to live with this little monster and the things that I need to keep in the car....if you want to play you have pay I suppose.

After the fix pic included...;)

Attachments

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Samco is normally great stuff - thats some boost :p

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
stipud said:
Holy crap...:eek:

Yeah, Samco hoses aren't the usual cheap chinese stuff.

Your throttle flap must have closed, causing a boost surge right at the elbow. At your boost levels you may want to consider running two bypass valves :lol:
Do tell me more Stipud...do cars running about 2 bar usually have two bypass valves?? I have not heard of this approach...

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I haven't seen that in a Saab before, but it's pretty common for highly tuned Japanese turbo cars (except they usually use blowoff valves). Being bypassed would mean you require two inlets and outlets, so there would be some custom fabrication involved.

What kind of bypass valve are you currently running?

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Stipud...Recirculating...unsure of the manufacturer as I cannot see it anywhere on the unit. Do you have any pics or quick tutorial on how to add an additional?

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
gabis said:
Holy ****.. 30psi? That must be fun.
It is!... but with that much power it does require restraint and respect (all the time) And this car's tune maxes at about 27 psi. Dave (fatship runs) runs 30+ psi

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Garrett said:
Stipud...Recirculating...unsure of the manufacturer as I cannot see it anywhere on the unit. Do you have any pics or quick tutorial on how to add an additional?
Adding an additional one would just require welding on some new bungs on your delivery pipe and intake pipe (before the turbo) so that you can install a new bypass valve. Look at where your stock one comes from and goes to... you basically just add a second one. You can put it pretty much anywhere on the delivery pipe you want.

I am assuming you already have a decent aftermarket valve installed, in place of the stock Bosch unit? You might see if you can find one with a better flow rating. I think the Forge and Hyperboost valves are about as good as you can get already...

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Stipud...I have a buddy here who is very much a wealth of info on almost any car/truck. I will consult with him and follow back up on this thread...I appreciate your thoughts ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just to throw in my .02 cents...

Buy Auquanet hair spray and spray it on when you put on hoses. Does an excellent job at keeping hoses in place. A little added security never hurts.
It also helps ease install when still wet. :cheesy:

It's cheap too!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts