SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yea guys i just got my new 2001 saab 9-3, i just wanted to ask a couple questions its the plain 93 version hatchback, auto sadly. I was wondering if its a t5 model or how do i find out, because i wanted to instal a bov, and what are some quick easy things i should check up on it thanks.

·
Registered
704 Posts
yours should be a T7 - to be positive, check the color of the DI (the direct ignition cassette, it's the topmost part of the engine). if it's red, you have a T5, if it's black, T7.

if you have records from the previous owner, that helps a lot, if not, you should do a good once-over of everything you can get your hands on (or have someone do it for you if you're not mechanically inclined). others can give you other specific recommendations, but i'd check all your fluids and filters for cleanliness, make sure there's no obvious leaks or breaks in any hoses (parking with a slab of cardboard under the car overnight can help), making sure all the electronics work, and so on.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
All 2001's are T7's so you can't install a BOV. Pull valve cover and check for sludge. Install ngk plugs if you do not have them.

·
Registered
333 Posts
edit: lol you guyz posted at the same time as me

T5 ended in the 1999 9-3, your 2001 is a T7, that means no BOV, only BPV's will work because of the MAF sensor and the way T7 works. Easiest way to tell the difference is to look at the ingnition module (DIC)... If its red then its a T5, black ones are T7.

Depending upon the mileage, you should consider replacing the MAF sensor, CPS, fuel filter and look into what PCV version the car has ( #6, the newest revision is said to help avoid sludge buildup). On the topic of sludge, it wouldn't be a bad idea to remove the valve cover and check for some signs of sludge, thou the best thing to do is to drop the oil pan and clean the pickup screen. Lastly fully sythentic oil is recommended for our cars.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awww that sucks a little, i was looking forward to that whoosh sound, cant i just clean my maf and that'll help i got 156k by the way, i read about and saw these cars some with a silencer, i think i saw mine but its pretty hard to get to, does anyone have this version and if so how did you take it out. so other than that check the oil for sludge and maybe the fuel filter

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
GrindinD said:
awww that sucks a little, i was looking forward to that whoosh sound, cant i just clean my maf and that'll help i got 156k by the way, i read about and saw these cars some with a silencer, i think i saw mine but its pretty hard to get to, does anyone have this version and if so how did you take it out. so other than that check the oil for sludge and maybe the fuel filter
you can still have the woosh sound, my T7 is quite loud.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
9-3 sleeper how did you get the sound than lol, and how did you manage to get that damn silencer off, i can see the 2" black hose (a depened) but it kind a hard to get at.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you want to hear your turbo more and your BPV you acn get an open air intake and you should be able to hear your turbo and your bpv.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea thats one of the first things im gonna do, the thing is though i can get a filter from my neighboor, but my car has this strange adapter between the air box and the rubber tube, with like a metal bracket and between it is where my oxygen sensor is, im not sure if you guys have seen it. I havent unscrewed if or anything to see if i can just attach a filter

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
GrindinD said:
yea thats one of the first things im gonna do, the thing is though i can get a filter from my neighboor, but my car has this strange adapter between the air box and the rubber tube, with like a metal bracket and between it is where my oxygen sensor is, im not sure if you guys have seen it. I havent unscrewed if or anything to see if i can just attach a filter
Sounds like you're talking about your MAF sensor, an integral part of the t7 management system, this has to stay but it does come out of the air box. The nice thing about the open air from GS is that it holds everything in a tight position and keeps everything working how it should.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea i think thats it there 2 of them, ummm about that valve just to be sure your guys were talking about oil right... i feel like a noob

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea ill probably end up getting that one, it looks pretty good thanks

9-3sleeper said:
Sounds like you're talking about your MAF sensor, an integral part of the t7 management system, this has to stay but it does come out of the air box. The nice thing about the open air from GS is that it holds everything in a tight position and keeps everything working how it should.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
GrindinD said:
yea i think thats it there 2 of them, ummm about that valve just to be sure your guys were talking about oil right... i feel like a noob
Do a bit more reading. You will do fine. But if somebody suggests something, be prepared. It may not be what you want to hear.

For the silencer, look at the intercooler, if you have inlets and outlets on the same side (drivers side) then you will find the silencer in the tube that comes out of the pass side of the turbo, and cuts under twards the drivers side.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts