SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't take it anymore.

Today I traded my 2004 9-5 Arc for a brand new Acura TL Type S, 6 speed manual w/ navigation.

I have had bad luck with my Saab, and frankly I think the quality of the car just isn't where it needs to be. Bad DI cassettes, bad electrical, bad throttle body, bad transmission, sludge, water leaks, driver seat motor problems...you name it, my car had it. Frankly I was spending too much of my time driving my Saab back and forth to the mechanic, and not enough time doing more important things. The car was fun to drive, but a piece of junk. The final straw was when the a/c died last month. I was already unhappy, and that's when I truly began to hate the car.

We have always had Hondas in the past, and they are inherently reliable. The Acura combines Honda reliability with the driving fun of my old Saab. More than anything, I'm relieved, because I know that when I turn the key tomorrow morning, I won't be holding my breath to see what is going wrong next.

So long and good luck everyone.

Michael

·
Registered
462 Posts
Nice choice Michael....my stepson drives one and he loves it...I love the styling too! I think the TL was the BMW 3 Series they wish they could have built...it's full of Bimmer styling queues (sp).....There is nothing more irritating than a car that doesn't work or a bad tooth....I'm sure you never look back in that sense....Good Fortune to you to Sir...If you'd still like a pair of Saab Central window stickers for your new ride, let me know...I'm still the contact guy...! Have a Blessed and safe Christmas.......Zebulon

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Tough luck mate; my 9-5 was an unloved and offloaded car that had thousands thrown at it and it has been a gem for me so far, some other poor b****r took the cash hit to make it good.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
MichaelS said:
I couldn't take it anymore.

Today I traded my 2004 9-5 Arc ..........I have had bad luck with my Saab, and frankly I think the quality of the car just isn't where it needs to be. Bad DI cassettes, bad electrical, bad throttle body, bad transmission, sludge, water leaks, driver seat motor problems...you name it, my car had it.
All that including sludge on a 2004 car :eek:

I'm amazed you kept it this long :confused:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Nice choice with the TL. Have looked at the newer ones myself. I also own a 99 TL that I bought new. It now has 104,000 miles. The only issue that I have ever had was a faulty ignition switch that was covered under recall. In almost 8 years I have not put a dime into it besides regular maitenance items. :)

·
Registered
805 Posts
I have been looking into TL lately and there is one thing I'm curious about.
Does noise canceling work well on your Type-S?
I test drove TL and TL Type S and the latter seems to be louder even with the system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i just bought my 99 9-5 and i love it. sorry to hear about your bad experience...every car has a lemon now and again. that sucks.

i used to have a 2003 acura tl 3.2, leased new, and i won't lie, it's probably one of my most favorite cars on earth. i loved it and i would buy the same car again (except maybe a type-s). i really don't like the styling of the new tl's at all, though. to me, the body on the 03 model was classic for a sedan...not as much as, say, the 95 legend ls coupe is a classic, but still...i loved that damn thing and unless i get completely addicted to saabs (which i'm hoping will happen!), i'm going to buy another '03 tl in the future.

good luck, sorry you had such a bad experience.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Its not much of a looker though :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
^^^ yeah that's what i'm saying, i hate the styling of the new one. i drove through the acura lot while i was looking at saabs, and i was reminded of how much i hate all of the new acura styles...with maybe the exception of the RL.

acura always does this!

in 1996, they dropped one of the greatest cars ever and started making boring stuff. then they came out with a new tl body at the end of the 90's that was awesome. they finally nearly perfected its styling by 2003, and then dropped it again in '04 for that ugly one that continues more or less in its same form today. acura seems to have these really annoying cycles of greatness and blasé b.s. every 5 years. it's really aggravating to me, as i've been in love with acura in one way or another since the early 90's.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Can quite understand why you've got shot of the 9-5 after all those problems......:eek:
Can't understand why you've bought a horrid Honda though....;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've been thinking of doing the same type of trade with my '03 aero.
I had a '88 Acura Legend that was still going strong at 200k miles when I messed up bad and traded for Volvo S90. I just don't have the confidence in the Saab that I have had with Honda/Acura products. PG

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Loving my TL so far

I figured I'd drop in here one last time before cancelling my membership.

So far the TL is fantastic. IT is pleasure to have a nice, new car and not to cringe when starting it up.

The car is quiet - yet the noice cancelling works nicely. It is fast, and handles better then my 9-5. There's less body lean and absolutely no torque steer. Somehow they have managed to cancel out the torque steer, even though it is front wheel drive and high horsepower. I'm also digging all the electronics, esp the navigation (Acura/Honda nav is best out there), and the bluetooth connection to my blackberry built in.

What I miss from the 9-5 so far is only the strong throaty growl of the engine, esp in sport mode. Frankly after signing off here today I don't think I'll look back again. In fact, my wife's Volvo XC90 lease is up in a few months and if I'm still as happy with my Acura as I am now, we'll probably go for the new MDX. Japanese reliability beats Swedish every time!

MichaelS

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Well take care fella, come back anytime :cool:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Best of luck with the Acura.

Honda/Acura isn't perfect--ask anyone that's had a 4- or 5-speed AT in a TL/Accord/Odyssey fail on them, for instance. But overall, the caliber of engineering and build quality are hard to fault, and the TL is a decent driver (although no 3 series--too much understeer).

The 9-5 is an old design, and unfortunately feels it in many ways--steering feel, chassis flex, torque steer, etc. Sounds like your car was a bit anomalous in terms of the problems, though--sludge in an '04, for instance, is relatively unheard of according to both my dealer and local independent.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have both a Saab and Acura. I love them both. I like the Acura a little bit better in terms of quality/reliability and driving dynamics. Somehow the Honda engineers have been able to dial out any body roll and torque steer in a front wheel drive car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts