SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was changing a burnt headlamp the other day, no issues. Got in the car to turn the key to make sure it worked, and could not even turn they key. SID said "Steering lock malfunc. Make a safe stop. Contact Saab Dealer". Steering wheel turns freely (well as freely as it can without the power steering)

So I did what any self respecting mechanic would these days. Read up on Google. As a result, I have replaced the battery in the car, I've replaced the ISM (ignition switch module), banged my head against the wall, pulled out fuses 1 and 2, left the battery disconnected for over an hour, pulled my hair out, bypassed the locking mechanism on the new ISM, tried allowing the key to reset, and finally banged my head against the concrete floor repeatedly. Did I mention its been -15F here this week?

Anyway, I've tried darn near everything I can read about, think about or otherwise come up with.

Please someone give me something here. Anything?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any idea where that is/how to access it? Maybe a ping with a hammer might let it loose?? Can it be removed and cleaned?

·
Registered
164 Posts
as mentioned it could be the Column Intergration Module(CIM). here is a video i found on how to remove it. if that is bad i would think it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks pretty darn easy. Might pull it apart tonight and see if there is anything to "play with" Thanks for the video

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it was in fact the CIM. Loaded up the car on a dolly and brought it to Andrews Auto Haus in Princeton, MN. They are incredible. Very up front, knowledgeable and won't try to BS you. They even said that if I could find a CIM cheaper they would put it in for me....instead of getting one at list. List for this part is $850. I found a new one for $340. So they basically saved me $500 - even gave me a free loaner.

Bottom line, is that for whatever reason, the CIM decided to go belly up. But now I have my Saab back.

If you live anywhere near Princeton, MN (45 miles from me) these guys are totally worth the trip.;ol;

http://www.andrewsautohaus.com/

·
Registered
164 Posts
glad to hear you are up and running again. the cim is not an extremely hard part to find. not surprised you found it way cheaper than the dealership. ;ol;

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hate to resurrect an old(er) thread, but I felt that it would be worth noting that I have the steering lock malfunction on my 03 Arc. (confirmed to be a CIM issue). However if you don't have the cash to get a new unit, or don't have the desire to replace it; it is possible to remove the locking actuator in the ISM (so that you can turn the key) and run a push-button from the starter relay.

My whip has been push to start in this fashion for years!

·
Super Moderator
19,495 Posts
Hate to resurrect an old(er) thread, but I felt that it would be worth noting that I have the steering lock malfunction on my 03 Arc. (confirmed to be a CIM issue). However if you don't have the cash to get a new unit, or don't have the desire to replace it; it is possible to remove the locking actuator in the ISM (so that you can turn the key) and run a push-button from the starter relay.

My whip has been push to start in this fashion for years!
A write up would make you many many friends.

·
Registered
46 Posts
A write up would make you many many friends.

Sadly, I didn't take any pictures while I was messing with it, as it was sort of a trial and error, desperation attempt to make my car functional, but I will see what I can do about pulling her apart and taking some pictures tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
19,495 Posts
that would be awesome. a new cim is $$$$ that many would like to avoid paying since the car works fine otherwise. hard to justify a grand on a car worth 2-3k tops.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I was changing a burnt headlamp the other day, no issues. Got in the car to turn the key to make sure it worked, and could not even turn they key. SID said "Steering lock malfunc. Make a safe stop. Contact Saab Dealer". Steering wheel turns freely (well as freely as it can without the power steering)

So I did what any self respecting mechanic would these days. Read up on Google. As a result, I have replaced the battery in the car, I've replaced the ISM (ignition switch module), banged my head against the wall, pulled out fuses 1 and 2, left the battery disconnected for over an hour, pulled my hair out, bypassed the locking mechanism on the new ISM, tried allowing the key to reset, and finally banged my head against the concrete floor repeatedly. Did I mention its been -15F here this week?

Anyway, I've tried darn near everything I can read about, think about or otherwise come up with.

Please someone give me something here. Anything?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Saab just showed me the same message and I am hearing about all of the same potential fixes for the issue. Were you able to find any useful information on how to fix your car?

·
Registered
492 Posts
My Saab just showed me the same message and I am hearing about all of the same potential fixes for the issue. Were you able to find any useful information on how to fix your car?
Scan it with a Tech2 to start. See if you have other codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Funny, mine did the same about 3wks ago for the first time at the pump and wouldn't start. While waiting for AAA, did the fuse trick that's on tube and no reoccurrence since. But, guess my cim is on it's way to pooping!

·
Registered
15 Posts
So it was in fact the CIM. Loaded up the car on a dolly and brought it to Andrews Auto Haus in Princeton, MN. They are incredible. Very up front, knowledgeable and won't try to BS you. They even said that if I could find a CIM cheaper they would put it in for me....instead of getting one at list. List for this part is $850. I found a new one for $340. So they basically saved me $500 - even gave me a free loaner.

Bottom line, is that for whatever reason, the CIM decided to go belly up. But now I have my Saab back.

If you live anywhere near Princeton, MN (45 miles from me) these guys are totally worth the trip.;ol;

http://www.andrewsautohaus.com/
I wound up buying a used steering column with keys. Only problem was I got a column from a manual trans car so I had to have it programmed.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I wound up buying a used steering column with keys. Only problem was I got a column from a manual trans car so I had to have it programmed.
They always have to be programmed with a Tech2. It’s not just because the one you got was from a manual transmission equipped car.

I have new CIMs, and used CIMs with keys available if anyone needs them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts