SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but the search function isn't working for me if I try to search anything other than a single word (Tried 3 computers!)

Any rants of raves about mechanics in the Salt Lake area? 50,000 is just around the corner and so, with manufacturer warranty over and done with, I think it's time to say goodbye to dealer rates.

I think I have it narrowed down to 3:

MSN Automotive: Location wise, this shop is most convenient for me. Unfortunately, I can't find much info on them on the net. They do have a website here. They left a post card on the car advertising their owner "Mike Newbold, a Certified Saab Master Technician with over 20 years experience servicing Saabs." I often see his flyers stuck to other Saabs around town too.

A & C Automotive: A little less convenient than MSN Automotive, but not bad, and I was able to find both Subaru and Saab owners {The 2 brands he specializes in} singing praises to him. Bet he could tell you stories about the 9-2x.

Boyd's Saab: Another classic and highly praised shop. It's quite a bit out of my way, but if Matt is that much better than the other 2 options here (How Swede it is) than I'd go to him.

There's also a place I've driven past multiple times that has a fenced in lot always full of Saabs, but I never bother to jot the name down and I couldn't give you exact co-ordinance either ;oops:

I do have to say, I feel a bit spoiled to know that there are at least 2 excellent shops within 20 (driving) miles of my house!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for your help guys!

Actually, car is my dad's not mine. He went in and met the owner of MSN and was impressed, plus they think they know each other but they're not sure from where.

Service appointment (50k miles) was this morning. Checked transmission fluid and said it was pretty dirty, so did the transmisison flush 10k early.

Full transmission flush, full oil change with 4 quarts of Redline full synthetic, rotated tyres, and some other small things. $200.

The battery (Which has been in the car less than a year!) isn't performing up to par, so it's off to the dealer next Monday to have them look at it and maybe get another new battery.

My dad says the shop is extrememly clean. Guy sells pre-owned Saabs as well. His wife is the receptionist. Impressed so far.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sarcasm? Me? Never!

Seriously though, I should start handing out business cards or something -- I see at least 1 Saab a day besides mine.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Saaby, just an idea next time you see a stationary SAAB, how about asking the driver where he/she gets their work done and whether they are happy with the service? If they are pleased with their mechanic they will tell you, and if they think they are a shower of crap, they will also let you know. I'm several thousand miles away, but i'll still recommend Nottingham Saab to you. (it may take a while to get there though!!);)

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Kermit said:
Saaby, just an idea next time you see a stationary SAAB, how about asking the driver where he/she gets their work done and whether they are happy with the service? If they are pleased with their mechanic they will tell you, and if they think they are a shower of crap, they will also let you know. I'm several thousand miles away, but i'll still recommend Nottingham Saab to you. (it may take a while to get there though!!);)
........ be sure to ask for Wes :cheesy:

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kermet, if I drove to your mechanic, I'd drive home and have taken in so many miles I'd have to turn around and come back :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts