SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Looking for a good aftermarket speaker replacement for my '99 vert. The wiring has been set up, now I just need some good speakers!

Would prefer not to make any modifications, but I'll drill a hole if need be. I would just like to know what other people have and if it's worked for them

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Ah, in the subject... derp. :)

You might look at these:

They fit perfectly, are nicely sized for the factory amp, and you can chuck the tweeter section and just run the woofer.

These are probably better speakers, but do require slight mods to the plastic mounts:

I will add, that if you want real improvement consider replacing the amp. The difference between those Infinity speakers driven by the factory amp and those Infinity speakers driven by a $90 KAC-M1804 is no joke.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
There are photos of them here:

if you're interested. :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are photos of them here:

if you're interested. :)
Thanks! I wasn't going to replace the 6x9's, but I feel as I may notice that they're crap once the rest of the system is replaced

I noticed you had to grind yours down. How difficult was that? I have a dremel with a bunch of extensions, but I'd really prefer to not have to make permanent, ugly modifications

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
Very few 6"x9" speakers will fit from the top, but all of them will fit if you mount them from the bottom. Most 6"x9" speakers come with plastic spacer rings that are made for that purpose. The rings keep the metal edge of the speaker mount from damaging the speaker's foam or rubber surrounds.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very few 6"x9" speakers will fit from the top, but all of them will fit if you mount them from the bottom. Most 6"x9" speakers come with plastic spacer rings that are made for that purpose. The rings keep the metal edge of the speaker mount from damaging the speaker's foam or rubber surrounds.
I've never taken apart the rear speakers so I'm kinda confused by what you mean by the top vs the bottom. Is it harder to replace them from the bottom or something? By bottom, do you mean from the trunk or something?

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
I've never taken apart the rear speakers so I'm kinda confused by what you mean by the top vs the bottom. Is it harder to replace them from the bottom or something? By bottom, do you mean from the trunk or something?
The factory speakers drop in from the top, so the speakers sit on top of the ledge and the screws go down through the speaker and into the ledge. When you mount them from the bottom, you have to pull the carpeting aside, hold the speakers up against the bottom of the ledge, and the put the screws in from the bottom. I think the screws are actually easier to get in from the bottom. If the speakers are top mounted, one of the screws is right up against the window or the plastic C-pillar trim, and it's hard to get a driver on the screw. They're somewhat more accessible from the bottom. The only downside about bottom mounting is having to pull aside the carpet, but even that's not very difficult. You just have to take off the hatch sill plate and the 10mm plastic nuts that are back by the taillights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed new speakers in the doors of my 2000 93 vert this summer. I installed Focal Access 165 AS 6.5” component speakers with tweeter in door high and woofer low. A bit tricky with modifying the the trim around edge of existing plastic surround for the 6.5” woofer, you have to trim the plastic. The speakers are about $200 and they are the best I’ve ever installed, great bang for the buck! Wiring is a little tricky as you have to use existing wiring because of the complicated plug type wiring socket at the door hinge. I wanked the amp and head unit and installed a Pioneer with BT, Sirius, hands free calling, Pandora, HD radio, etc. The simple updates made an incredible system. I’m very happy with it except the rear speakers that were upgraded by previous owner are crap and clip out at high volume. I plan on installing another set of Focals in the rear. Can’t go wrong with this approach. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts